Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Th!nk (Think) EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read the green wombat article. They think they can sell 30,000 a year. Not a chance. They're priced to compete with the Prius, but the Prius doesn't have a battery rental. Nevermind that the Prius is bigger, faster, carries more people and cargo, and can go as far as you want it to. All Toyota has to do is release an official plug-in version and the Think car has no advantages at all.

Think is, however, positioned to completely wipe out ZAP and the entire NEV market, which I view as a positive thing.

-Ryan

Just read the green wombat article. They think they can sell 30,000 a year. Not a chance. They're priced to compete with the Prius, but the Prius doesn't have a battery rental. Nevermind that the Prius is bigger, faster, carries more people and cargo, and can go as far as you want it to. All Toyota has to do is release an official plug-in version and the Think car has no advantages at all.

Think is, however, positioned to completely wipe out ZAP and the entire NEV market, which I view as a positive thing.

-Ryan

I think they can sell 30 000 a year. Remember all those people that are eco-poser for their Prius purchase surely would like the even bolder eco statement :)
Seriously in another article Think CEO mentions that they build $10 mill modular factories that start to churn out Thinks so they can easily build a lot, a big lot of them fast. He says they only take 6 months to create the factory and start rolling out Thinks. This means if they time it right they can be the only one selling these cars. The Think is bigger than the Smart car about a another 5'' or so and can be sold as a 2 adult 2 children configuration. And in the same way as the Smart is not really sold as a car 1 (as the Prius does) the Think city is a car 2 as well.

When it comes to the battery rental, in Norway they say they will allow you to buy out the battery if you want to. But if you are driving every day I really don't see why you should? The battery lease will most probably include extra services as car insurance, AAA membership etc. The idea being the "mobility pack" is sort of ALL the extra monthly costs the car incurs except electricity. A bit like the PBP idea.

Cobos
PS: Personally I donæt want the Think city at Norwegian prices, but there is an element of national pride here, first car manufacturer and everything :)

I think they can sell 30 000 a year. Remember all those people that are eco-poser for their Prius purchase surely would like the even bolder eco statement :)
The Prius certainly has its fair share of eco-poser owners, but at least they're getting a fully-capable vehicle, something they can use as their only car.

I'm not saying Think won't sell any vehicles, all I'm saying is that their 30000 a year goal is impossible if they're inferior to the Prius. It's more realistically positioned as an upgrade from a ZAP Xebra or NEV, which is a small market to begin with.

-Ryan

Think starting production for real

It seems my earlier estimate from Think of August was wrong. They've started production now and the first customers are getting their cars. They are part of the unofficial founders series and VIPs etc. but they are delivering production cars. The first 100 cars will be delivered during July. Currently they are at 3-5 cars a day but they expect to be upto the 2 full shifts capacity of 20 cars a day first half of next year. And considering the state of fuel prices in the US and current dollar value they might build a factory in the US before that (my speculation).

Cobos

Source: Teknisk Ukeblad (TU)

Think City's as EV taxis

Thought I'd mention that there are 2 EV enthusiast which have bought 2 Think's and are using them as Taxis in Trondheim. They drove up from Oslo to Trondheim over a few days (a 550km trip) and even passed Dovre which is at about 1200m over sea level. Picture of the two cars and their drivers, and a picture from the event where our Transportation Minister was the first "customer".
Looking here you will find a forum thread about their trip up to Trondheim

Cobos

Father and son taxi drivers Th!nk alike - AutoblogGreen

th%21nk-taxis.jpg

Doerr, Pickens invest in V-Vehicle (Dealscape - Technology)

Can Obama supporter and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers partner John Doerr get along with ardent Obama critic and Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens? Electric car startup V-Vehicle Co. better hope so because the two dealmakers are among investors in the San Diego-based company.

Earlier in the week a Louisiana newspaper reported on an effort by local business people teaming with Kleiner Perkins partner Doerr to buy a former General Motors Corp. facility in Monroe with the intent of luring an electric car maker to the site. By Wednesday, the locals announced the plans to bring little known VVC to town.

I would count this as a major announcement coming from any auto maker. A nice feather in the cap for Think.

custom title
“THINK and AeroVironment are setting a new standard for extremely quick re-charging – zero to 80 percent in just 15 minutes,” said THINK CEO Richard Canny. “This is a major leap forward for electric vehicles. The development and deployment of very-fast-charge stations will help speed the electrification of automobiles in the United States and globally.”

This could equally go under an AV thread.

Think raises $40m, will expand North American rollout of City EV

This popped up in my Twitter feed earlier, from Edmunds.

Does Think stand a chance in North America?

Edmunds

THINK-City-in-the-US-2_imagelarge-thumb-400x223.jpg

Edmunds said:
Think Says It's Raised $40M, Will Use It to Expand N. American Roll Out of City EV

Norwegian electric-vehicle maker Think, which was on the brink of going belly-up not that long ago, says it's raised another $40 million to support further product development and planned expansion into North American markets.

"With the new equity, Think is now fully funded and expects to become cash flow positive in 2011," the company said in a statement today.

Think announced in March that it will start selling its City battery-electric car in New York, in addition to a few other U.S. cities, later this year, as the company looks to compete with both established and independent automakers debuting battery-electric cars by the end of this year.

"Our additional investment reflects our confidence in Think as exceptionally well-positioned for success with a proven product and leading technology in electric drive systems," said Wilber James, co-managing general partner of Rockport Capital.

Think also announced two changes to its board of directors. Ener1 Chairman and CEO Charles Gassenheimer was named chairman, effective immediately. Incumbent Chairman Reidar Langmo was named vice chairman.

Think CEO Richard Canny said that with the closing of the equity funding, Think will now accelerate development of right-hand-drive products for markets such as Japan and the U.K.

Last edited: