Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The .48* updates haver broken TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's always hard when you change a behavior, some people will be mad, others will like the change. I think the real issue here is that many people (myself included) have at times disengaged AP by moving the steering wheel, but did not realize that TACC is still engaged until the car surprises with acceleration that might not be appropriate for the road situation like an exit lane.

The real fix in my mind is to always disengage all driver assists when the user takes manual action like jerking the steering wheel. Though this would probably also make the OP unhappy no?

Perhaps this was the happy medium the developers came up with.

Also I agree, Tesla should be noting these changes in release notes. They are always flying loose with release notes. In fact when the major NN improvements came last year which drastically improved Autopilot but also changed AP behavior, they were not even in the release notes!

It's always hard when you change a behavior, some people will be mad, others will like the change. I think the real issue here is that many people (myself included) have at times disengaged AP by moving the steering wheel, but did not realize that TACC is still engaged until the car surprises with acceleration that might not be appropriate for the road situation like an exit lane.

The real fix in my mind is to always disengage all driver assists when the user takes manual action like jerking the steering wheel. Though this would probably also make the OP unhappy no?

Yeah, I never just disengage Auto Steer alone. I always use the brake to disengage both at the same time. Mush safer because then you can control both speed and steering yourself appropriately for the situation. In fact, I almost never use TACC by itself. I either drive manually or use full AP.

Yeah, I never just disengage Auto Steer alone. I always use the brake to disengage both at the same time. Mush safer because then you can control both speed and steering yourself appropriately for the situation. In fact, I almost never use TACC by itself. I either drive manually or use full AP.
I probably use TACC 98% of the time. I get up to to speed manually (or close to it) and then use TACC for almost all of my drives. It's so nice not having to worry about speeding since the speed stays where I set it. I do often adjust the speed up and down via the cruise stalk but it's so nice not having to use the accelerator. I recently drove a Model 3 that was still calibrating and the 11 miles that I drove it with the accelerator seemed like an eternity.

I probably use TACC 98% of the time. I get up to to speed manually (or close to it) and then use TACC for almost all of my drives. It's so nice not having to worry about speeding since the speed stays where I set it. I do often adjust the speed up and down via the cruise stalk but it's so nice not having to use the accelerator. I recently drove a Model 3 that was still calibrating and the 11 miles that I drove it with the accelerator seemed like an eternity.

I agree that not having to worry about your speed is super nice. My problem is that when I am in TACC only, I forget to steer because I am so used to using AP. So I prefer to just use full AP rather than TACC alone.

Reactions: JohnnyG and Russell
I didn’t even realize there was anything different. Probably because of my method of driving. When I need to get in the loop driving, I just use the stalk to disengage, do what I need to do etc......and then quickly double click stalk and start over. I don’t much care for “forcing” the wheel independently out of autosteer. Kind of jumps a bit and I don’t like that.
Just my 2 cents.
Yeah same here. Didn't notice the change because I always disengage AP with a forward push rather than a turn of the wheel. If I did disengage with a turn of the wheel, I don't think I would want it to speed up though seems unintuitive (especially for noobies) and could cause accidents

Also I agree, Tesla should be noting these changes in release notes. They are always flying loose with release notes. In fact when the major NN improvements came last year which drastically improved Autopilot but also changed AP behavior, they were not even in the release notes!
This *100. I agree. Not only with the AP disengage behavior comment but even more so with the release notes comment. Not documenting AP behavior changes like this one can get ppl killed. This isn't a video game. It's real loves, real families out on the road in these cars... Not to mention the other people around us. Not cool.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I'm in this camp, but I can see the OP's POV as well. Tesla probably should have made it a setting and let owners choose the behavior they want.
Yes that would have been nice but at a minimum document the friggin change in the release notes. That's shouldn't be debatable. All changes I firmware should be in the release notes PARTICULARLY any that change driver assistance functionality

• Love
So after some road trips during the holiday I was wondering if all of you that think the new change is "good" and "working as designed" would feel the same if TACC alone worked this way. What is the difference if you are behind someone traveling slower than your set speed and you change lanes. Should TACC alone be reset to the slower speed at which you were following the vehicle before changing lanes? OR Should TACC resume to the actual set speed when you change lanes? Just interested in your opinions since at present TACC and AutoPilot operate differently from each other. Arguments about "the car rapidly speeding up" would be true in either case. Would you still support your opinion if TACC alone was neutered the same way?

• Love
So after some road trips during the holiday I was wondering if all of you that think the new change is "good" and "working as designed" would feel the same if TACC alone worked this way. What is the difference if you are behind someone traveling slower than your set speed and you change lanes. Should TACC alone be reset to the slower speed at which you were following the vehicle before changing lanes? OR Should TACC resume to the actual set speed when you change lanes? Just interested in your opinions since at present TACC and AutoPilot operate differently from each other. Arguments about "the car rapidly speeding up" would be true in either case. Would you still support your opinion if TACC alone was neutered the same way?
I really noticed it last night as I drove back to the Denver metro area. Based on last night's experience, I would have to rate it as slightly annoying since I had to constantly reset the TACC speed. I guess I'm just used to how it worked for the previous ~24 months.

• Love
I find the new behaviour more safe, TBH.
Disengaging AP with the steering wheel keps the speed it was driving at that very moment. Pulling the stalk for 1 second is enough to set again your previous engaged speed. IMHO it's much better if accelerating is a deliberate choice of the driver in control of the steering wheel and not an automatic feature of TAAC.

I find the new behaviour more safe, TBH.
Disengaging AP with the steering wheel keps the speed it was driving at that very moment. Pulling the stalk for 1 second is enough to set again your previous engaged speed. IMHO it's much better if accelerating is a deliberate choice of the driver in control of the steering wheel and not an automatic feature of TAAC.

So using TACC alone should operate the same? (in your opinion)

So using TACC alone should operate the same? (in your opinion)
I don’t think it’s safer for TACC to change the speed at which it was set—once set, it should stay at that speed (unless speed limit changes or you manually adjust); TACC will not generally not crash into whatever’s in front of you (because it’s traffic-aware), but people behind you could crash into you. For example, if you have TACC set to 65 mph, and traffic in your lane slows to 35 mph, then you change lanes to a lane travelling 65 mph, but TACC resets itself to 35 mph as you change lanes, you have to either disengage or override and reset TACC to get up to speed and until/unless you do so, TACC will be fighting you to slow back down to 35 mph. Can’t imagine how that’s safer. [And, to be clear, the above is not how TACC alone works, but it’s how TACC works upon disengagement of AP, which for some reason works differently than TACC alone, to the point @boonedocks is making.]. Once you set TACC/AP speed, it should stay at that speed unless the road conditions change or you manually adjust.

I agree. I find myself at 18MPH when I engage TACC in a 45MPH zone because I hit the brake at a traffic light or something (I can't actually figure out the cause, but I know I was at a higher speed when it was on before, I'm in a higher speed zone now, I'm traveling faster than 18MPH when I turn it on, and it gets set to 18MPH and slows down the car). It always takes me by surprise and I need to adjust it. There is no reason why this should be happening - it is new behavior.

• Love
I don’t think it’s safer for TACC to change the speed at which it was set—once set, it should stay at that speed (unless speed limit changes or you manually adjust); TACC will not generally not crash into whatever’s in front of you (because it’s traffic-aware), but people behind you could crash into you. For example, if you have TACC set to 65 mph, and traffic in your lane slows to 35 mph, then you change lanes to a lane travelling 65 mph, but TACC resets itself to 35 mph as you change lanes, you have to either disengage or override and reset TACC to get up to speed and until/unless you do so, TACC will be fighting you to slow back down to 35 mph. Can’t imagine how that’s safer. [And, to be clear, the above is not how TACC alone works, but it’s how TACC works upon disengagement of AP, which for some reason works differently than TACC alone, to the point @boonedocks is making.]. Once you set TACC/AP speed, it should stay at that speed unless the road conditions change or you manually adjust.

100% agree " Once you set TACC/AP speed, it should stay at that speed unless the road conditions change or you manually adjust" It is much more dangerous for TACC to automatically be adjusted to a slower speed under any circumstances AP/w/TACC or TACC alone other than actual speed limit settings that it would automatically be set to.

• Love