Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 66 Alliance Goals to preserve HOV and CFV plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xenoilphobe

Jan 2, 2014
DC Swamp
66 Alliance, VDOT, HOV, Clean Fuel, I-66

The 66 Alliance is a group of people who came together in 2015 and 2016 to oppose parts of VDOT’s plans to convert Interstate 66 into High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes from Haymarket to the Roosevelt Bridge.

Since our inception, the 66 Alliance’s 4 goals have been:

• Retain HOV-2 on I-66 (VDOT wants to go to HOV-3);
  • Prohibit tolling of “reverse” commuters on 66 inside the Beltway;
  • Expand capacity on 66 inside and outside the Beltway; and,
  • Retain the Clean Fuel Vehicle (hybrid) program.

By March 2016, the Alliance accomplished the first three goals, either through administrative concessions by VDOT or through legislation during the 2016 Virginia General Assembly. For a brand new grassroots commuter advocacy group, winning 3 out of 4 — when VDOT and the powerful multi-national corporations seeking to impose tolls on 66 are against us — is very impressive, and all 66 Alliance members and supporters should congratulate themselves.

However, our fight is not over, and I encourage all current Alliance members and other concerned citizens and commuters to join in our 2016/2017 to accomplish the following goals:

• Make HOV-2 on 66 permanent, not just preserved until 2020;
  • Change the decision not to toll reverse commuters from an administrative decision by VDOT (which can be reversed without notice) into a law passed by the General Assembly; and,
  • Preserve, or perhaps “renew,” the Clean Fuel Vehicle program, which currently will sunset on January 1, 2017, and expand it to other interstates within Virginia.

For better or worse, the Alliance’s 2016 goals got caught up in the broader debate in the General Assembly over tolling on Virginia’s interstates. The Alliance has not taken a position as pro- or anti-tolling. The Alliance has, however, insisted that any toll or HOT lanes “grandfather” HOV-2 and the CFV program.

Unlike 2015/2016, VDOT is no longer our target. VDOT is moving forward with implementing HOT lanes on 66 — that fight is over.

VDOT will oppose the Alliance’s goals in the General Assembly in 2017, as will the corporate tolling lobby and their allies in the Northern Virginia business community, because the achievement of each of the Alliance’s goals means less tax revenue to the state and the for-profit tolling corporations. The Alliance’s 2017 targets are Governor McAuliffe, who can extend the CFV program on 66, and the legislators in the 2017 Virginia General Assembly, who can pass legislation to achieve the 3 goals outlined above. Therefore, for the rest of 2016 and early 2017, the 66 Alliance will focus on putting pressure on Governor McAuliffe and recruiting these state legislators to our cause with an eye towards passing legislation in the 2017 General Assembly.

If you are already a member of the 66 Alliance, please stay tuned for regular newsletter updates on ways your can help achieve these goals. If you are not a member of the Alliance and share our goals, please click here to join the 66 Alliance!

I'm not entirely opposed to the goals stated above, but the Clean Fuel license plate exemption is completely and utterly ridiculous in its current form.

For those who don't know, anyone who registered a hybrid automobile before July 1, 2006, was able to get a Clean Fuel plate that gave them an exemption to HOV rules on I-395 and I-66. Anyone who registered for a Clean Fuel license plate from 2006 through July 1, 2011, has a plate that permits them an HOV exemption on I-66. After July 1, 2011, Virginia DOT began issuing a different style of Clean Fuel license plate that does not provide HOV exemptions on either I-395 or I-66.

To put that in other words:
  • If you bought a 2006 Lexus RX hybrid (EPA: 28 city / 25 hwy) and got clean fuel plates, you're still enjoying riding solo in the HOV lanes of both I-395 and I-66 to this day.
  • If you bought a 2008 Chevy Tahoe hybrid (EPA: 21 city / 22 hwy) and got clean fuel plates, you're still enjoying solo use of I-66 during HOV restrictions.
  • Meanwhile, my Model S is not permitted to use either set of HOV lanes (unless I'm carrying the required number of passengers, like anyone else)
It's time to either abolish the Clean Fuel HOV exemption, or re-work it to reward actual clean-fuel vehicles instead of what passed for a clean fuel vehicle 10 years ago.

I'm shocked (no pun intended) that DOMINION POWER doesn't get involved to push a BEV standard for HOV

Dominion Power also recently cutoff enrollment in their pilot EV off-peak charging plan. I wonder if they're skeptical of BEVs because the buyers tend to be a similar demographic to those who buy clean electric generation systems, which compete with Dominion. (E.g. the latest Tesla - SolarCity play.)

It may be an unpopular opinion here, but I'd rather see the Clean Fuel HOV exemption eliminated than see it continue in its current form. If they want to update it to current standards, perhaps ZEVs-only, that's great. But anything less than completely rewriting the standard: I'd rather see the lanes be HOT/HOV only.

More taxes on the way - thanks Virginia for continuing to sell out to Corporate third party companies. This is just another Fricking tax for living in VA. I hate VA DMV..

They could have at least moved to a BEV only HOV tag...

DMV Letter.png