Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The coming Tesla cash cow and the short burn of the century

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, just excel.

I'm going to give you a thorough answer, as it feels to me that there is far too much focus on this issue in the bear thesis.

The info is pretty much all there for you in the reports and letters. The key sentence is from June 2017: "we plan to increase Model 3 production to 5,000 vehicles per week by the end of 2017 and to 10,000 vehicles per week at some point in 2018".

If we skip forward to the most recent quarter: "Service and Other gross loss in Q1 2018 increased to $118 million as a result of the continued growth and maturation in our service infrastructure. We expect Service and Other losses to reduce substantially in the coming quarters as our service infrastructure becomes significantly more utilized with the ramp of our Model 3 fleet size".

In short, the recent negative gross margin from this segment is another casualty from the botched M3 ramp. And we can see why from other data points and statements:

View attachment 301933

And March 2017: "Our new facilities are generally larger than they were in the past. For example, new service locations commonly have many more service bays, and we have tested the implementation of large delivery hubs in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Hong Kong and Beijing. Delivery hubs create an exciting reception for new customers and support much higher delivery levels, so we plan to expand this customer experience to more cities".

So more service locations and bigger / more costly ones at that. The 300 mobile service centres at March 2018 are claimed to be equivalent of 60 standard ones.

Depreciation is not stripped out for this sector but I expect it's pretty substantial relative to revenues. There is hence good reason for optimism that margins from this segment will improve through H2 2018 and into 2019, as the M3 ramp to 5,000 is completed and there are many more vehicles on the road. And as was pointed out by someone above (sorry forget who), older MS/X sales that come off warranty will also start to add to the revenue column in a meaningful way soon. Tesla had this to say in March on both points:

"We expect Service and Other losses to reduce substantially in the coming quarters as our service infrastructure becomes significantly more utilized with the ramp of our Model 3 fleet size. There are also substantial revenue generating opportunities as we open our own body shops in 2018 to improve costs of out-of-warranty repairs and as we increase our offering of accessories and merchandise."

What is the "Other" in "Service and Other"?
"includes after-sales vehicle services, used vehicle sales, powertrain sales and services by Tesla Grohmann Automation".

Of note, there's nothing here about Superchargers, because the costs and revenues of those are specifically included within Automotive.

You'll see in every recent letter/report, the reason for the large growth in costs/revenues from Service and Other was due to increasing volumes of used car sales. For a while I had concerns that in its attempts to kick-start the brand and turbocharge sales, Tesla may have been too generous with the residual value guarantees/resale value guarantees and that it might be making a loss on used car sales. This would in effect bring down the core gross margin reported by Total Auto and be a problem that could get worse as the lease/RVG sales book matured. But...

Sep 2017: "Gross profit from used car sales was approximately break-even in Q3."
Dec 2017: "Gross margin on used cars sales was close to breakeven."
Mar 2018: "Our used car sales had slightly positive gross margin."

The only caveat I should add is from Dec 2017: "Service and Other gross loss increased to $89 million due to the significant growth of our service network in Q4 that has not been fully utilized yet as the Model 3 production ramp works to catch up, reserves for settlements with former customers of Grohmann and a one-time warranty true-up for used car sales". No more details provided on this, so I suppose your comeback will be that you expect to see "one-time" warranty true-ups repeated again and again. For this to be meaningful, you'd be needing to see super-sized warranty costs in the core business and I don't think you are.

Finally, Tesla Grohmann (this includes the powertrain sales). As above, there have been write-offs relating to cancelled/incompleted contracts, given Grohmann is now exclusively serving in-house projects. A management call as to the cost/benefits of this decision. But regardless, any write-offs will not be repeated once cleared. The March 2018 report did not mention this as a contributing factor but it's possible it continued into 2018.

So in summary, with the info on hand I have every expectation that the gap between the red and blue dotted lines begins converging in the next couple of quarters, though a sizeable gap may remain into 2019, dependent upon how smooth the ramp is up to 10,000 M3/week versus management's expectations. If the gross margin from Services and Other keeps getting worse, then I too would be looking for a good explanation as to why.

Thanks for the answer, very thorough.

You are right that I think the warranty costs are understated but overall I think your analysis if pretty reasonable and well thought out.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The language is ambiguous, but the paragraph explicitly refers to M3 margins. After trying to parse it, I realized the "slightly lower" may have been referring to Tesla's target GM % and not what it achieved during the quarter being discussed in the SH letter. My new interpretation is corroborated by
This is primarily based on our ability to reach Model 3 production volume of 5,000 units per week and to grow Model 3 gross margin from slightly negative in Q1 2018 to close to breakeven in Q2 and then to highly positive in Q3 and Q4.
which I had forgotten (but differing views on "our ability" can be reflected in the Assumptions--differing view are also what causes the share price volatility).

I just copied luvb2b's approach after realizing that if you click on reply to a message with an embedded table, the coding shows up and it's somewhat intuitive from there.

i don't think your interpretation is wrong.

Our long-term gross margin target of 25% for Model 3 has not changed. In the medium term, we expect to achieve slightly lower margin due to higher labor content in certain areas of manufacturing where we have temporarily dialed back automation, as well as higher material costs from recently imposed tariffs, commodity price increases and a weaker US dollar. On the other hand, our average selling price is significantly higher than prior projections, so we expect to achieve higher gross profit per vehicle than we previously estimated.

this paragraph is about model 3 gross margins. the first sentence references the 3. the second sentence is about the model 3 line. the 3rd sentence also fits with a higher than expected model 3 asp (based on my modeling).

the combination of this paragraph plus the 20% gross margin comment on the conference call lead me to conclude this is a 5% gross margin reduction for model 3 production in q3 and q4. i found this disturbing because q3 and q4 should have very high option mix vehicles. maybe i can comment more later.

"imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" so thanks!

Reactions: neroden

Our long-term gross margin target of 25% for Model 3 has not changed. In the medium term, we expect to achieve slightly lower margin due to higher labor content in certain areas of manufacturing where we have temporarily dialed back automation, as well as higher material costs from recently imposed tariffs, commodity price increases and a weaker US dollar. On the other hand, our average selling price is significantly higher than prior projections, so we expect to achieve higher gross profit per vehicle than we previously estimated.

this paragraph is about model 3 gross margins. the first sentence references the 3. the second sentence is about the model 3 line. the 3rd sentence also fits with a higher than expected model 3 asp (based on my modeling).

the combination of this paragraph plus the 20% gross margin comment on the conference call lead me to conclude this is a 5% gross margin reduction for model 3 production in q3 and q4. i found this disturbing because q3 and q4 should have very high option mix vehicles. maybe i can comment more later.

I'm curious what the gross margin is on a true $35k base Model 3. And if it's even positive.

How do you guys reconcile that Q3/Q4 will likely have a burst of production from built up demand for the AWD/LR/EAP M3 that will likely be the BY FAR highest margin M3, but after that it will be much cheaper versions yet you assume that "25%" will be achieved and then just maintained?

I think 25% is POSSIBLE on the extremely high end M3's, but at full scale without backlog that will likely be a very tiny % of the M3 sales if you assume an ASP in the low 40s (which i think is probably reasonable).

I assume the general assumption is the economies of scale will offset the declining ASP/high margin items in future periods? I am not saying that is wrong but just asking if that is the general assumption?

I'm curious what the gross margin is on a true $35k base Model 3. And if it's even positive.

From the SpaceX guy interview, Model S marginal cost was 30k years ago (S60), Deepak mentioned 2k of depreciation per car. Definitely positive. If the 3 line is more efficient and the BOM is lower cost, it could be 25k to build a 35k sales price 3 or 29% GM. That's without EAP which tacks on 12.5% GM at the 40k price.

Reactions: neroden
How do you guys reconcile that Q3/Q4 will likely have a burst of production from built up demand for the AWD/LR/EAP M3 that will likely be the BY FAR highest margin M3, but after that it will be much cheaper versions yet you assume that "25%" will be achieved and then just maintained?

I think 25% is POSSIBLE on the extremely high end M3's, but at full scale without backlog that will likely be a very tiny % of the M3 sales if you assume an ASP in the low 40s (which i think is probably reasonable).

I assume the general assumption is the economies of scale will offset the declining ASP/high margin items in future periods? I am not saying that is wrong but just asking if that is the general assumption?

i can understand your concern. they guided down gross margin 5% for q3 and q4. so we're looking at 20% on the highest asp cars. as lower priced options get mixed in it creates a gross margin headwind.

i don't think the overall asp will ever be low 40s.

to get to 25% you have to assume additional operating efficiencies being realized in 2019. i think it's quite possible from what i have seen on the s/x, but the timeline has pushed out several (2?) quarters.

• Helpful
Reactions: bdy0627
i can understand your concern. they guided down gross margin 5% for q3 and q4. so we're looking at 20% on the highest asp cars. as lower priced options get mixed in it creates a gross margin headwind.

to get to 25% you have to assume additional operating efficiencies being realized in 2019. i think it's quite possible from what i have seen on the s/x, but the timeline has pushed out several (2?) quarters.

But Tesla is still adding robots and additional lines such as the semi automatic. Would that contribute to the decline in margins as well? Next year they’re still guiding for 25% on less optioned M3s.

I dont feel like its reasonable to assume

1) ASP of over 45k

AND

2) Demand of over 100k a year, let alone 200k

You have to pick one or the other. 50k+ is basically mid size luxury sedan, which the TOP selling car in 2017 sold just over 55k in the US

Mid-size luxury cars - U.S. sales by model 2017 | Statistic

Obviously that is just the US, and you can average in some lower spec'd M3's that will capture some of the entry level luxury car demographic, and maybe somehow the market reverses trend and starts growing (doubtful), but from just an eye test, it seems like to get to 200k/yr demand you have to have an ASP in the low 40s, and my personal opinion is the M3 won't even have that much demand @ 40k without the FIT credit. I don't feel like many bull cases really capture what the total market is for 50k cars. The whole "best selling mid size luxury car already" or whatever was in the update letter is incredibly misleading since the M3 has 2 years of backlog to work through.

• Disagree
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
But Tesla is still adding robots and additional lines such as the semi automatic. Would that contribute to the decline in margins as well? Next year they’re still guiding for 25% on less optioned M3s.

correct. but they were also guiding that 25% long term gross margin before. and i was thinking 25% gross margin in q4. i thought we'd see gross margin 25% in q4 with high option vehicles, and then efficiencies offset the several % margin drag from mixing in lower option vehicles.

but now he's saying 20% gross margin in q4, and efficiencies have to offset *another* 5% extra beyond just the headwind of lower option vehicles. that seems a longer bridge to cross to me.

correct. but they were also guiding that 25% long term gross margin before. and i was thinking 25% gross margin in q4. i thought we'd see gross margin 25% in q4 with high option vehicles, and then efficiencies offset the several % margin drag from mixing in lower option vehicles.

but now he's saying 20% gross margin in q4, and efficiencies have to offset *another* 5% extra beyond just the headwind of lower option vehicles. that seems a longer bridge to cross to me.
I agree with this, also the fact that EM notoriously overstates and now you almost need his claims to be understated to make the projections work.

• Disagree
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Can we all agree there’s no more short squeezes? Elon predicting another short squeeze is about as believable as FSD capability.
with all the short interest out there, a short squeeze is still one of my main concerns

Main concerns as short seller:

1) Some sort of terrible govt bailout, likely in the form of some weird SpaceX reverse merger or something
2) Some really dumb chinese company buying Tesla for the brand at a really terrible price
3) Short Squeezes

Im not really scared of anything else

I dont feel like its reasonable to assume

1) ASP of over 45k

AND

2) Demand of over 100k a year, let alone 200k

You have to pick one or the other. 50k+ is basically mid size luxury sedan, which the TOP selling car in 2017 sold just over 55k in the US

Mid-size luxury cars - U.S. sales by model 2017 | Statistic

Obviously that is just the US, and you can average in some lower spec'd M3's that will capture some of the entry level luxury car demographic, and maybe somehow the market reverses trend and starts growing (doubtful), but from just an eye test, it seems like to get to 200k/yr demand you have to have an ASP in the low 40s, and my personal opinion is the M3 won't even have that much demand @ 40k without the FIT credit. I don't feel like many bull cases really capture what the total market is for 50k cars. The whole "best selling mid size luxury car already" or whatever was in the update letter is incredibly misleading since the M3 has 2 years of backlog to work through.

A few reasons why I think a high 40's / 50k ASP for Model 3 over the long haul is reasonable:
- EAP is practically a requirement for every car and I believe is priced at $4k. Therefore the $35k base model is really $39k (whether Tesla collects the incremental $4k at original purchase, or after the second owner activates it).
- When it comes along, FSD won't be quite as much of a requirement, but the take rate is going to be >>50%. That's another $5k I believe, and now the base car is more like $44k.
- The history of Tesla car models is that they attract people to a more expensive car than they otherwise would purchase. Plenty of anecdotes - it's an important component of how well S/X are doing in the luxury car market - part of it is that they are bringing purchasers that wouldn't otherwise be in those markets. (I'm 2 of them - first a Roadster, then a Model X; ICE car competition is I've never otherwise spent $20k for a car, and won't).
- The history of Tesla car models is that base models are passed over. The original Model S 40KWh that everybody expected to be the volume car after the initial expensive cars were shipped, instead had so few orders that the company canceled the car without ever shipping an actual 40KWh battery pack. They filled the orders using software limited 60KWh packs to avoid the developments costs for that smaller pack (and crash tests and stuff).
- Seems like the most common S/X is a non-performance, AWD, 100 KWh car.
- There are enough high volume car drivers that the lower cost of ownership (fuel, maintenance) can be used to swap a cheaper car for a more expensive car, and still come out ahead (for these drivers). This will bring people in the $20-35k range, up into the Model 3 range as they shift fuel/maintenance expense into a car payment; some of them will keep going to and beyond $50k. It won't take Model 3 to 1M units/year in the US, but I have no trouble believing 100k units/year in the US on a sustained basis. (And this won't come about for a couple of years anyway).

My expectation is that a rear wheel drive, small battery, no options Model 3 will be one of the rarest of unicorns in the market of Model 3's. Once both that combination and the AWD performance version is shipping, both readily available, there will be significantly more of the AWD performance being bought, than there will be of the no options Model 3.

I realize that's backwards from any other car model in like the history of ever, but its consistent with Tesla's history. I expect the single biggest volume configuration to be the AWD big battery, not performance, with EAP. And that's going to be really close to or higher than $50k.

Remember that the original business plan for Model S was a sustained 20k/year demand / production, and thus the importance of bringing Model X to market quickly on the heels of Model S. Instead Model S is more like 50-70k/year on a sustained basis, with Model X approaching balance with Model S, and an overall expectation of the 2 cars to be 100k/year indefinitely (or even for demand to go unfilled at that level).l

Of note, there's nothing here about Superchargers, because the costs and revenues of those are specifically included within Automotive.

Thanks for the thorough answer--your post contains a lot of substantive explanations, but are you sure there is no Supercharger expense included in SG&A?

In 2014 Tesla told the SEC:

"As of December 31, 2013, we allocated 40% of our Supercharger network costs to cost of automotive sales and the remaining 60% to selling, general and administrative. . .

At least annually, we review the utilization of our Supercharger network and adjust our cost allocation, as appropriate, based upon changes in utilization trends."
Letter to the SEC

The most recent 10Q stated:

"Cost of automotive sales revenue includes direct parts, material and labor costs, manufacturing overhead, including depreciation costs of tooling and machinery, shipping and logistic costs, vehicle connectivity costs, allocations of electricity and infrastructure costs related to our Supercharger network, and reserves for estimated warranty expenses.
The current percentage allocation to SG&A may no longer be 60%, but wouldn't Tesla delete "allocations" in the description of Auto COGS if 100% of Supercharger expense were charged there?

Reactions: bhzmark

One of the things that really stood out for me in the earnings report was this:

For months, the battery module line was our main production bottlenecks. After deploying multiple semi-automated lines and improving our our original lines, we have largely overcome this bottleneck. Consequently l, we now expect to reach a module production rate of 5,000 car sets per week even before we install the new automated line designed and built by Tesla in Germany.

What this this tells me is that the new semi automated lines that are being installed were not part of the original plan, which means the extra spending will likely offset some margins. Once the automated lines are working as intended, then workers on the semi automated can be directed elsewhere. This is the same for the current situation at Fremont, where more hands are being hired to compensate for the robotics that are being pulled offline for the “hackathon”, then once those robotics are hacked, Tesla will reinsert them and draw those workers elsewhere to increase production even further. Here’s the excerpt from the letter:

We have temporarily dialed back automation and introduced semi-automated or manual processes while we work to eventually have full automation take back over. This flexibility has enabled us to continue the Model 3 to new levels.

I think that once automation takes over, then margins will increase, and the 5k number won’t stop there, because Tesla will continue to push to 10k, which means the current workers will be deployed elsewhere once automation becomes more efficient. I think the headwind in lower margined cars will be offset by more efficiencies of automatic lines as well as a higher ramp to 6k, 7k-10k.

Those equipments Tesla is bringing in right now is not cheap, the learning curve on how to use them, make them functional, and then rectifying non working parts evidently costs a lot of initial investments as well as time. But once the learning curve and experimental phase is done, it’s prety much replicating the same line. To me, it’s much harder and more expensive to ramp from zero -1000 Model 3s than it is to ramp from 2,000-5,000 Model 3s, simply due to the learning curve. From the letter:

Once we hit the 5,000 per week milestone, we intend to incorporate our learnings to continue to increase output on our existing manufacturing lines beyond 5,000 units per week, and then in a capital efficient manner to add incremental capacity to ultimately get to a 10,000 unit weekly rate.

Simply put, Tesla is not capital efficient right now because there is still a learning curve, once we get over that curve, then efficiencies will make up the lost revenues/time.

The evidence? Just look at the SX ramp.

Thanks for the thorough answer--your post contains a lot of substantive explanations, but are you sure there is no Supercharger expense included in SG&A?

Hello Brian, thanks for that. An interesting snippet on the opex/gross profit split for Suoerchargers. I wasn’t very clear but my point was more that Superchargers are not considered a Service and Other item, as some many at first assume but included within Auto.

I disagree with the above. For the production to improve and the gm on the 3 to go down from -10%, they'd need to see a ridiculous increase in depreciation, or a insane growth in workforce, or some combination of both.

I am not in front of a computer, but it would be instructive to come up with a split of total $ depreciation, per unit depreciation, direct material and direct labor, for the 3 production q1. Repeat the same for q2, and see if you can make the math work out and give reasonable numbers for increase in capex or direct labor. I'll try to post mine at some point.

Reactions: Singer3000
In short, the recent negative gross margin from this segment is another casualty from the botched M3 ramp. And we can see why from other data points and statements:

View attachment 301933

And March 2017: "Our new facilities are generally larger than they were in the past. For example, new service locations commonly have many more service bays, and we have tested the implementation of large delivery hubs in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Hong Kong and Beijing. Delivery hubs create an exciting reception for new customers and support much higher delivery levels, so we plan to expand this customer experience to more cities".

So more service locations and bigger / more costly ones at that. The 300 mobile service centres at March 2018 are claimed to be equivalent of 60 standard ones.

The under utilization appears to be because of the larger sizes of the new centers rather than the increase in the absolute number of service locations. In the table below, the ratio of 5 mobile = 1 permanent is included in the Locations count; Fleet =Cumulative Vehicles Delivered and Ratio = Fleet/Locations
QUARTER LOCATIONSFLEET RATIO
2Q16 233136,655586
3Q16 250161,476645
4Q16 265183,728693
1Q17 271205,779759
2Q17 300227,805759
3Q17 350254,164726
4Q17 376285,354759
1Q18 399321,972806

If the ratio correlates to "utilization," there has been a steadily improving trend which dipped slightly with the initial addition of mobile units but resumed in the most recent quarters. (To this layman, it still looks low)

Depreciation is not stripped out for this sector but I expect it's pretty substantial relative to revenues.

Aren't many of the Sales & Service locations operating leases rather than outright purchases?

Tesla had this to say in March...:
"We expect Service and Other losses to reduce substantially in the coming quarters as our service infrastructure becomes significantly more utilized with the ramp of our Model 3 fleet size. There are also substantial revenue generating opportunities as we open our own body shops in 2018 to improve costs of out-of-warranty repairs and as we increase our offering of accessories and merchandise."

Are the Service Centers doing much body repairing other than for collisions? IIRC, Jon Mcneill was the CEO of a nationwide network of collision repair facilities. Elon assumed his responsibilities when he resigned in February. Elon doesn't seem to have similar collision repair experience and could be stretched too thin to oversee properly the start-up of a new segment in the service business. Again, as a layman, outside of specific high market penetration areas such as California, HK, and Norway, there doesn't seem to be enough volume to warrant the acquisition of specialized equipment and skills. Perhaps, this is a business segment that could be temporarily curtailed (or re-thought entirely) during the current cash preservation regime as M3 ramps to profitability.

The only caveat I should add is from Dec 2017: "Service and Other gross loss increased to $89 million due to the significant growth of our service network in Q4 that has not been fully utilized yet as the Model 3 production ramp works to catch up, reserves for settlements with former customers of Grohmann and a one-time warranty true-up for used car sales". No more details provided on this, so I suppose your comeback will be that you expect to see "one-time" warranty true-ups repeated again and again. For this to be meaningful, you'd be needing to see super-sized warranty costs in the core business and I don't think you are.

It's opaque. Services & Other Gross Profit decreased between 3Q17 and 4Q17 by $25.4 million (from a loss of $63.1 million to a loss of $88.6 million). The Services & Other Gross Profit decrease between 4Q17 and 1Q18 was $29.0 million (from a loss of $88.6 million to a loss of $117 million). Revenue declined in both quarterly periods, while COGS increased sequentially. In 4Q17 the "Net changes in liability for pre-existing warranties" was -$3.5 million vs + $0.5 million in 1Q18 (There was an additional $37.1 million in accrued in 1Q18 because, with the new revenue standard, warranty repairs on Resale/Residual Guaranty Cars reduce the accrual (amount reserved) rather than being expensed as incurred.)

I may have it backasswards (and am not an accountant), but was under the impression that a reduction in amounts previously accrued (as shown for 4Q17) would benefit the corresponding COGS account to which it relates. (My impression was reinforced years ago when Chanos whined about $10.1 million reduction reported for 4Q13.)

So in summary, with the info on hand I have every expectation that the gap between the red and blue dotted lines begins converging in the next couple of quarters, though a sizeable gap may remain into 2019, dependent upon how smooth the ramp is up to 10,000 M3/week versus management's expectations. If the gross margin from Services and Other keeps getting worse, then I too would be looking for a good explanation as to why.

Back at you. There is definitely some hair here, both because S&O is a hodge-podge and because of the deteriorating trend, but the losses may reverse if Tesla can execute profitably with the M3.