Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The confusing world of firmware updates. What are you on?

What firmware are you on?

Votes: 32 72.7%

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • older 2018

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • beta/newer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I keep seeing people talk about 2019.5.4 and sentry mode, neither of which I have. The news about the power increase got me thinking about it (wanting the latest update) and I tried to connect my 3 to my wifi network at home in hopes it would decrease the time it would take for me to get updates. It wouldn't connect to my home network, but later I happened to be driving by an SC and swung in and asked them to check it out, but my car connected to Tesla's wifi instantly (prob some DNLA or other configuration problem with my home network). Anyway, a nice tech checked my firmware out and said he thought it was the newest (2018.50.6) for my car but then he said wait a minute I'll "hammer" a new one in because it looks like your car was stuck in 'wi-fi delay'. He says if it doesn't take in 30 min to 'give it a week to download over air and call us back' . Then when I'm driving home he called me and said he looked into it some more and 2019.5 is a 'map update'. I told him I saw people referring to it as their firmware number, but he said no it's just a map update, and again said it looks like my car has the newest firmware (for my car)
So as nice and well meaning as this guy was, I'm guessing he's wrong. I understand they roll out updates in vin# batches. I was told they sometimes roll out new ones to a limited number of customers (after beta testers) which is fine. But it seems like 2 weeks for the one that contains sentry mode (2019.5.4 presumably?) would be enough for most folks to have it. I know some people say "just chill out you'll get it when you get it" but having been told my car was is "wi-fi delay" which I'd never heard of and there is no way for me to know I'm in that state, I'm trying to get a little clarity about what the current approved/deployed firmware is..

Like @Moose408 said:
6F04111F-71C9-41E8-8EF6-164E40A2313D.jpeg

A number of updates in the past have take about 2 months to roll out to everyone. And yes, you need to have your Wi-Fi connected. There's rumors that no updates, except for maybe critical ones will ship over cellular anymore, just too expensive to Tesla (Think 300,000 * 100MB , 30,000GB for a small download)

How can I tell if it connected to my wi-fi?

If you setup the car to connect to your wifi when you are in your garage, that is the connection it will use when its in your garage. If your router supports it, you can turn on traffic monitoring / statistics etc to see how much data the car is using, but thats not needed / necessary so dont worry about it if you dont know how to do it (or your equipment doesnt support it).

Just connect the car to your wifi the same way you would a new phone, verify it has the wifi symbol, and you should be good to go.

I was looking at the Atari games and noticed that pole position game is not listed any more. I was wondering if Tesla removed it on their last update. I am currently on V9.0 (2019.5.4 4c3c314). Does anyone else notice this

This chart has not changed in several days. Looks like tesla has stopped pushing the upgrade. The several beta releases in between would also imply they are having problems.
2019 dropped below 24% on stats. I would like to have sentry mode but looks like tesla is having problems. Any one who has 2019 want to chime in and let us know how it’s working for you?

2019 dropped below 24% on stats. I would like to have sentry mode but looks like tesla is having problems. Any one who has 2019 want to chime in and let us know how it’s working for you?
2019.5.4 is what I have and it has solved a couple of problems, most notably I no longer have an issue with a black screen and having to wait for reboot after getting in the car.

Still trying to figure out Sentry Mode. Just saw today that my dashcam was disabled, pulled the USB memory stick and it was completely full. It appears that if you turn on Sentry Mode at location you have to turn if off before driving. It had filled the memory stick with my drive home on 2 separate occasions which completely filled the memory.

Otherwise no obvious issues.

Reactions: JES2