Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found on the Design Studio that Next Gen seats are now available on the 85D. One step closer to an order.

- - - Updated - - -

Also just found this on Market Watch....

It appears that Tesla is building cars beyond what’s ordered and may have used cars available, Barclays said.

In the 10-K, Tesla described its finished-goods inventory of nearly $400 million as including “a smaller portion of vehicles available for immediate sale” beyond loaners and showroom models.

“This is a departure from the past — indicating that Tesla production is not as much of a build-to-order model as it had been historically,” the analysts said.

If this is true it might have some implications on the robustness of delivery dates being better than in the past.

The increased amount of cars in the lot has to be the cars waiting for a better ship to get on. The Europe P85D was in production a long time ago and may has been in the lot waiting for a bigger number of cars to be delivered at the same time.

THERE HAS BEEN A COMPLETE CHANGE OF MOOD

Before the email: Everyone was excited - saying when their expected date was, and every now and then someone would announce they had a VIN like the winner of a Bingo game.

After the email: Dread has set in. August stretched to September. And any further delay on that puts it towards Christmas. I mean we just had Christmas. So it's a bloody year away. So unfair. Thoroughly demoralised.

AND I want my VIN :-(

Did you get a call from James from Tesla Aus yesterday? He said he doesn't have any more specific details about the cause of the delay, but he did confirm that it is affecting all RHD Dual Motor cars - UK orders have also been pushed to August. He said he expects the cars to go into production in June and to arrive in mid-August followed by a couple of weeks of customs/pre-delivery detailing etc. MyTesla adds a week or two to the estimated delivery as a buffer hence the September delivery estimate. Hopefully this means we will see our cars either in late August or the first week of September.

Maybe we should just book in a test drive every week between now and then to get our fix!

NEW UPDATED EMAIL FROM TESLA:
-------------------------
"Dear Aussie Larrikins,

We wish to update you on the progress of your car. Great news! As promised, your cars were due to start rolling off our Assembly Line this month. However, as per our last email, it had recently come to our attention that Australians drive on the Left Hand Side of the road and that, ideally, Right Hand Drive units would be preferable. We at Tesla always strive for the best!

We immediately despatched our R&R team to Australia to verify this.

This delay has been due to meeting Australian Road Rules which differ in critical respects to our local orders.

In attempting to produce our prototype 'mirror image' of our Model S, we have since realised that the accelerator pedal still needs to be on the right. That has caused additional delays. Furthermore, we have decided to shift the auto window controllers from the LHS car-door to the RHS thereby maintaining control with the driver.

Our beta testers have also discovered a slight problem with the wrong seat auto-adjusting when a new driver profile was entered. We have written to our Silicon Valley partners requesting them to change the software given that Aussie drivers occupy the passenger seat.

Some of you may also be aware that there is a delay with the release of the Australian mobile-portable charger. In watching Crocodile Dundee we realised that you guys don't have power-poles in the bush. We are therefore looking into the possibility of connecting the Australian version of the mobile-portable charger to kites. That should be available in the next quarter - (subject to high winds).

As always,

Up Yours
The Tesla Team

P.S. Due to the large number of emails we have received from irate Aussie customers, we have formed a new email hotline account: [email protected] Please note that due to the high number of emails received, it may not be possible to respond to each and every one. However, please continue to send them. We in the land of the free also believe in free speech.

P.P.S. We wish to maintain our 5 star safety rating and so we will soon be crash testing the RHD version into a Kangaroo.

Up Yours Again,
Tesla"
-----------------------

Last edited:
An original promise of " end 2013" became 9/12/14!!! Us veterans call ANY date provided by Tesla as " soon" which has a different dictionary definition when applied to Tesla.

All true, but the car is worth the wait. They may not be great at managing expectations, but this is still a new car company. It is filled with enthusiastic people who are doing their best. And Tesla has changed the world in a big way and is continuing to do so. The car market will never be the same again. So we may whine (myself certainly included!) but the pluses very much out weigh the minuses.

And thank goodness we have this forum so we can vent!

All true, but the car is worth the wait. They may not be great at managing expectations, but this is still a new car company. It is filled with enthusiastic people who are doing their best. And Tesla has changed the world in a big way and is continuing to do so. The car market will never be the same again. So we may whine (myself certainly included!) but the pluses very much out weigh the minuses.

And thank goodness we have this forum so we can vent!

Hope so you know.... But I have often experienced that the emotion of desire is usually always greater than the emotion of experiencing any physical event... Meaning we wait in agony for about 9 months for the car.... Really enjoy it for about a week.... After that time, we are just happy when we are actually in it.... Few months later, a scratch is just another scratch... The new whiz bang autopilot updates elicit a 'yeah whatever' response...

And was it worth it? Ask me in a year from now, and I'd probably say... Never again.

You have to hand it to the guy who can just walk into a car showroom and drive out with the showroom model. I'm talkin Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison approach.

Here's to venting... Somewhat comforting knowing that we are all in the same boat... Hopefully a Maersk laden with Dual Teslas destined for Australia will do...

Last edited:
Its true most us are crying about the longer delivery times( me very much included) but having done 5000Kms now in my "S" I have no disappointments. It performs perfectly every time I tramp on it. As a comparison I was forced to drive my wife's car for a day ( Impressa ) what a shock! Gutless unpredictable loud and the final insult of having to pump $60 of juice into it just made me appreciate the Tesla impact all the more. thankfully it was only for the day......... They need to get the Model 3 (E) rolling I need 2.....

I'm with you Keiron, we have done 4000K in ours and yesterday & today I've been driving my wife's Territory. She has done 400k in two days and comes home to tell me how great it is "how connected to the road" she feels. She is just cruel...

Just thought I'd share with you all (brag) that I went for a ride in a P85D yesterday at the Tesla factory in Fremont.

I don't think there's much I can say that hasn't already been said about it. The acceleration was absolutely shattering. My arms were being pushed behind me around either side of the passenger seat. My friend in the back seat made the mistake of peering around the driver's seat before take-off. He found himself with his head forced back between the side and middle headrest staring at the ceiling for about 4 seconds before the acceleration tapered off! He's still complaining about his sore neck today.

I wasn't driving, but the handling did seem a step up from my P85. No wheel spin and no perceptible fishtail/wobble. And this in a vehicle with 19" wheels.

If preposterous amounts of acceleration and power are what you want then just be patient. Tesla will deliver (next year.....)

Just thought I'd share with you all (brag) that I went for a ride in a P85D yesterday at the Tesla factory in Fremont.

I don't think there's much I can say that hasn't already been said about it. The acceleration was absolutely shattering. My arms were being pushed behind me around either side of the passenger seat. My friend in the back seat made the mistake of peering around the driver's seat before take-off. He found himself with his head forced back between the side and middle headrest staring at the ceiling for about 4 seconds before the acceleration tapered off! He's still complaining about his sore neck today.

I wasn't driving, but the handling did seem a step up from my P85. No wheel spin and no perceptible fishtail/wobble. And this in a vehicle with 19" wheels.

If preposterous amounts of acceleration and power are what you want then just be patient. Tesla will deliver (next year.....)

Cool. Did you go on a factory tour as well whilst you were there? Was there any sign of model Xs around?

Cool. Did you go on a factory tour as well whilst you were there? Was there any sign of model Xs around?

Yes, I went on the factory tour. No there was no sign of Model Xs. There was one press that was cordoned off that they said would be making parts for the Model X but that was it. I would presume the Model X is going to be built in a completely different part of the complex as I can't see how they could fit the Model X production into the same space.

A pretty extraordinary facility considering it didn't exist just a few years ago.

Yes, I went on the factory tour. No there was no sign of Model Xs. There was one press that was cordoned off that they said would be making parts for the Model X but that was it. I would presume the Model X is going to be built in a completely different part of the complex as I can't see how they could fit the Model X production into the same space.

A pretty extraordinary facility considering it didn't exist just a few years ago.

Can you upload some pictures of the factory?