Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Death of Rolos Immortal Flip Phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, it's still quite alive, but I'm looking into smartphone plans. I'm looking for advice on a good cheap smart phone plans for 2 lines. Whoever suggests the plan I ultimately choose, will have the honor of smashing my 5 year old Samsung flip phone.

I'm a fan of the new-ish T-mobile plans. You can have unlimited data, text, and voice for $50/month. No contract. What I like about them is that they don't do any of that "$199 for a phone and then we'll jack your rate plan $30+/month for 2 years so you end up paying close to $1,000 for a phone" crap that the pther carriers pull. T-mobile will offer you a 0% interest payment plan to buy the phone if you don't want to pay for it up front (or get one from craiglist or ebay) and then charge you a "reasonable" fee for the monthly service.

I'm on T-Mobile. Have been since 2001. They have good coverage in metro Atlanta, but not so much in rural areas.

But their 4G is fast.
Their plans are cheap.
They don't have contracts.
Their stores are corporate owned (not franchises like Verizon).
And their customer service isn't abysmal. (Huge improvement over ATT and Verizon)

+1 for T-Mobile's new no-contract pre-paid plans, but if you can just 'talk a bit less' then Virgin Mobile is cheaper; $38.33x2 total with all taxes and fees for unlimited data and text messaging with 4G LTE on Sprints network. Great coverage in Puget Sound we've found. But they don't have Windows Phone (Lumia) devices. We have a Galaxy Victory LTE (Android Jelly Bean).

I'm a fan of Republic Wireless - $20/month for unlimited talk, text, and data. The 'catch' is that you have a limited phone offering (Motorola's Defy XT) and that you offload as much of your talk / text / data to wi-fi as you practically can.

I'm also firmly in the luddite camp when it comes to phones, so a minimal smartphone works for me. And it turns out I can carry Pandora around with me now, so that makes me happy.

The service uses the Sprint network for when you're away from wi-fi at home, work, and other places where you'd normally use wi-fi if it was available.

Prepaid Cell Phones - No Contract Cell Phones | Republic Wireless

Tesla shirt smart phone recursion. :smile:
recursiveteslasmartphone.jpg