TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

the diff

Discussion in 'Model S' started by doug, Nov 8, 2011.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Anyone know what kind of differential they're using in the Model S. Are they still using an open diff like in the Roadster or have they gone with some sort of limited slip design. Of course with modern stability and traction control, the brakes can be used to make an effective limited-slip with a mechanically open diff. Just curious what they're using.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I was told by an engineer at the factory event that the gearbox was essentially identical to the Roadster's.

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

That would have been my guess. Thanks.

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I was always a big fan of limited slip differentials. BUT the traction control in the Roadster seems to work better than any limited slip I ever owned. So after my experience so far I am rethinking what is needed for traction control.

5. UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid New Member

Confirmed today at the Tesla showroom that has a Model S chassis on display that it is an open diff and will not be offering a LSD in any of the trim levels. Bummer, a car with a 0-60 time of 4.4 sec should have a proper mechanical LSD. No matter how good an electronic LSD is (and I've had them in my 911 and ISF) they are not as good as a mechanical. If you are using the breaks (on one wheel), it is slowing you down out of a corner.

6. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

This should only affect you at the track. Real world driving, it won't make any *diff* whether its electronic or mechanical.

7. UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid New Member

I respectfully disagree. Having owned cars both with and without LSDs they have a noticeable impact when driving on the street in a spirited fashion (as expected in a car that turns a 4.4 sec 0-60) on tight turns, wet roads, mountain roads, etc. My Honda S2000 at $35,000 with stock LSD had infinitely better traction out of a corner than my $90,ooo Porsche 911 that only had an electronic LSD.

8. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member