TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Drones are coming

Discussion in 'TMC Connect' started by Nickjhowe, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Nickjhowe

Nickjhowe Member

I'm bringing my DJI Phantom quadcopter to the event. Hope to get some cool shots of the cars. Not sure if I'll be able to get any footage at the track on Sunday, but fingers crossed...

2014-07-12 19.19.59.jpg

2. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

Not to be a killjoy, but according to the new FAA rules, you’ll have to notify the nearby airport (Monterey Regional Airport) since it’s within 5 miles of the hotel:

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Here are the numbers you need:

Ownership: Publicly-owned
    Owner: MONTEREY PENIN ARPT DIST
    200 FRED KANE DR., SUITE 200
    MONTEREY, CA 93940
    Phone 831-648-7000
    Manager: THOMAS E. GREER
    200 FRED KANE DR., SUITE 200
    MONTEREY, CA 93940
    Phone 831-648-7000
    OR (831) 333-2321

Control Tower Phone: 831-375-1211
    Control Tower Hours: 0700-2100L

4. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

The track is also right by the airport too...

5. Nickjhowe

Nickjhowe Member

There is no no-fly zone for Monterrey. We are good to go.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Ummm..... It has not thing to do with a no fly zone. You have to provide notification as above.

7. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

I researched that quadcopter and I want one! Its truly awesome! Hope you get lots of great videos or photos, whatever you take with it.

8. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

#8 Cottonwood, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    The DJI quad-copters are great fun. No fly zone or not, if you are within 5 miles of a public airport, you have to provide prior notification to the airport; from page 6 of FAA - Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft:

Section 336 also prohibits the FAA from promulgating “any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft” if the
    following statutory requirements are met:
    • when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower … with prior notice of the operation….

The latest DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ provides amazing video and photography options with its 3-axis gyro stabilized camera mount, just like the big boys use on the news helicopters. DJI calls it a "Tripod in the Sky," and that is a pretty good description. Flying one is nothing like flying a helicopter; it's really a 3-D video game within reality. On the other hand, it does take practice and care to operate safely and productively; DJI offers video lessons on their website.

Here are a couple of examples of videos that I have done that show how stable the video from this platform can be:

This was my post #2000!