Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Electricity Was Out Last Night....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After working all weekend, I was rewarded with a planned SCE outage which took my power down on Sunday evening, starting at 10p and slated to last until 6a, for 'electrical upgrades'.

Sure enough as were sat down to eat our In & Out Burgers, the lights went out. We had a few candles ready, along with an LED torch light and fully-charged smart phones. Eating by candle light was great, but we also missed our favorite Sunday night shows, '90 Day Fiancé: Happily Ever After' and 'Pillow Talk', where former featured fiancés commented with great hilarity on the current cast.

Yes, I deserve plenty of ridicule for my TV tastes. Don't judge, people, I'm a complicated man. No really, I love the human behavior aspect of it. It's fun to predict how things will go and break down the various strategies people use to dominate, fool, swindle, grift, etc. It's sillier and stranger than fiction, and we get to see other cultures too. Is there enough lipstick on this pig yet? :D

Solution? My girlfriend and I cuddled up in the Tesla Model 3 in the garage, A/C gently keeping us cool, cold bottled water in-hand—and we watched our favorite shows on-demand from TLC. We laughed, we snickered, we judged, we gasped, we dished, and sometimes the show chokes us up. It was a great time. I also set up my driver profile for driving and 'relaxed' seating. She has a Tesla Model 3 on order so she enjoyed seeing some new features too.

Lovely night.

Here's a real question though. In the event of a power outage (planned or otherwise), is there a way to keep our fridge running from the car? I suppose I'd need special cables or something right? I've heard about people doing this, and it would be nice to be able to do this as well.

Thanks!

After working all weekend, I was rewarded with a planned SCE outage which took my power down on Sunday evening, starting at 10p and slated to last until 6a, for 'electrical upgrades'.

Sure enough as were sat down to eat our In & Out Burgers, the lights went out. We had a few candles ready, along with an LED torch light and fully-charged smart phones. Eating by candle light was great, but we also missed our favorite Sunday night shows, '90 Day Fiancé: Happily Ever After' and 'Pillow Talk', where former featured fiancés commented with great hilarity on the current cast.

Yes, I deserve plenty of ridicule for my TV tastes. Don't judge, people, I'm a complicated man. No really, I love the human behavior aspect of it. It's fun to predict how things will go and break down the various strategies people use to dominate, fool, swindle, grift, etc. It's sillier and stranger than fiction, and we get to see other cultures too. Is there enough lipstick on this pig yet? :D

Solution? My girlfriend and I cuddled up in the Tesla Model 3 in the garage, A/C gently keeping us cool, cold bottled water in-hand—and we watched our favorite shows on-demand from TLC. We laughed, we snickered, we judged, we gasped, we dished, and sometimes the show chokes us up. It was a great time. I also set up my driver profile for driving and 'relaxed' seating. She has a Tesla Model 3 on order so she enjoyed seeing some new features too.

Lovely night.

Here's a real question though. In the event of a power outage (planned or otherwise), is there a way to keep our fridge running from the car? I suppose I'd need special cables or something right? I've heard about people doing this, and it would be nice to be able to do this as well.

Thanks!

Not yet. In the future, if you have the Tesla Wall Charger, the car should be able to power your home. Elon said the hardware was already in the car. Just doesn't have the software. And obviously you need proper hardware in your home.

Thanks!

MASTER THREAD: Powering house or other things with Model 3 12V battery

More of a garbage dump thread at this point, maybe you can read through and create a "guide" how to post. You need an inverter hooked to the 12V battery TLDR and need to know the number of amps the car can provide.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Not yet. In the future, if you have the Tesla Wall Charger, the car should be able to power your home. Elon said the hardware was already in the car. Just doesn't have the software. And obviously you need proper hardware in your home.

You have mentioned this a couple times. Can you link to where elon or anyone else from tesla said anything close to "the hardware is already in the car for vehicle to home" or "the hardware is already in the car for vehicle to grid"?

I suspect the wall connector supports it, but people have taken apart the charger in the car (engineering types who design chargers) and said that, at least for the model 3, it is not capable of bi directional charging at this time (meaning, the "hardware is not there" for V2G or V2H). Since you have said that tesla said it a few different times, It must be out there, so would love to read it.

Note, I am not looking for any blog post speculating about V2G or V2H, unless it includes a quote from someone internal to tesla saying what you say above.

Great post, @Spacep0d

Since we live out in the desert, we take advantage of how little light pollution we have here for our family movie dates. Whenever we can get our schedules to align, we set family movie night for when it's a New Moon. We take the Model 3 out into the dark, dark desert, far away from light sources, watch the sun go down, watch a movie, then spend some time star gazing. You wouldn't believe the views of the Milky Way you can get on a dark night. Pretty cheap way to make some amazing family memories.

If you happen to be lucky enough to live in a place where you can easily get away from light pollution, it's a great way to spend an evening.

Great post, @Spacep0d

Since we live out in the desert, we take advantage of how little light pollution we have here for our family movie dates. Whenever we can get our schedules to align, we set family movie night for when it's a New Moon. We take the Model 3 out into the dark, dark desert, far away from light sources, watch the sun go down, watch a movie, then spend some time star gazing. You wouldn't believe the views of the Milky Way you can get on a dark night. Pretty cheap way to make some amazing family memories.

If you happen to be lucky enough to live in a place where you can easily get away from light pollution, it's a great way to spend an evening.

Ha, great idea! We noticed that with the huge moonroof we could easily be stargazing, and I love looking at a full moon, or various planets when they're visible such as Mars, Venus or Jupiter (and sometimes Saturn).

You've already paid X thousand dollars for a great car, so why not blow a few more thousand on a PowerWall? One of these is actually designed to, already, supply power to your fridge and freezer, plus a few lights, TV, etc., etc. And it's not the car.

I have three. That's about 15kWh of stored power, and compared to a 100 kWh car, it's tiny. But it does keep the fridge and freezer going.
Personally, I couldn't do a gas generator, so it's what I'd vote for.

When you get a powerwall installed they will also add several large boxes that switch the grid in and out, connect to solar if y' got it, protect the PW from over charge or over discharge, etc., which is standard with any battery backup system, so it's pretty expensive at first. But when the power was out for three DAYS (common up here) it's nice to have power that gets recharged by the sun.

Nothing that exciting. By cuddle, I mean awkwardly attempt a cuddle over the center storage. Not exactly my Dad's bench seating in the Ford Elite! :D
Reminds me of my father-in-law telling me about the maneuver they used back in his day called a "Come over, baby!", which was yanking a hard right turn to get your girl to slide across the seat into you.

• Love
Reactions: Spacep0d
I have three. That's about 15kWh of stored power, and compared to a 100 kWh car, it's tiny. .

Each powerwall is rated for 5kWh continuous output, but they are actually 13.5 kWh storage each. So, if you have 3 of them, you dont have 15kWh of storage, you have 40.5kWh of storage.

If I remember, this particular OP is in an condo / apartment situation, so solar + powerwalls is likely not the best solution in that situation.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Each powerwall is rated for 5kWh continuous output, but they are actually 13.5 kWh storage each. So, if you have 3 of them, you dont have 15kWh of storage, you have 40.5kWh of storage.

If I remember, this particular OP is in an condo / apartment situation, so solar + powerwalls is likely not the best solution in that situation.

You are correct. I'm in a townhome. Not sure I can even have these installed, and if I were in a proper single family home I could actually get this Tesla Wall Connector installed! :D I may have to sell it. I can barely even get an electrician to tackle the job despite having initial HOA approval to pursue it. They're making too much money doing simple jobs.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
You are correct. I'm in a townhome. Not sure I can even have these installed, and if I were in a proper single family home I could actually get this Tesla Wall Connector installed! :D I may have to sell it. I can barely even get an electrician to tackle the job despite having initial HOA approval to pursue it. They're making too much money doing simple jobs.

What kind of fridge do you have? They don't use much energy but the starting current is typically too much for small inverter/charger. If you have a fancy newer 'inverter driven' fridge you could probably use a $400 battery inverter. My company bought a $1300 EcoFlow to keep our clients fridges cold if we have to cut power to their home.

What kind of fridge do you have? They don't use much energy but the starting current is typically too much for small inverter/charger. If you have a fancy newer 'inverter driven' fridge you could probably use a $400 battery inverter. My company bought a $1300 EcoFlow to keep our clients fridges cold if we have to cut power to their home.

It came with the house we bought in 2004, and it was probably a few years old then. So, I'm sure it doesn't have anything fancy. Thankfully, the electricity was out for less time than slated, so I think our freezer full of meat is still okay. I subscribed to ButcherBox when the pandemic hit and we couldn't get meat (and a lot of other items) from the local store.