TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

The Elephant Under the Rug: Denial and Failed Energy Projects

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dpeilow, Sep 9, 2008.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

May 23, 2008
    Winchester, UK
    The Elephant Under the Rug: Denial and Failed Energy Projects

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2006
    CA CA
    #2 vfx, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
    There is something gut wrong with tis proposition, Only 10 fillups? I want to discredit Hydrogen as much as the next EV lover but something is fishy about this argument.

I read the article and skimmed the source page. The New Atlantis » The Hydrogen Hoax
    I guess the numbers are there but what about the working stations like the one Jamie Lee Curtis fills up at? I think they are manufacturing the Hydrogen onsite. Maybe piping it from a nearby facility.
  3. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Hamilton, Texas
    The author lost a lot of credibility with me when he started going on about nuclear power.

At Chernobyl a real meltdown did, in fact, occur. It was terrible, it was probably about as bad as a nuclear plant accident can get. There's no way it "could have been much worse". And yet. . . Compare with the number of people who've died in industrial accidents involving coal mines, natural gas pipelines, oil refineries, and the rest of the fossil fuel industry. Consider also that Chernobyl was an outdated, poorly designed and horribly run plant, and that valuable lessons were learned from both Chernobyl and TMI. . .

There is no "group denial" involved in the nuclear renaissance. The memories of TMI and Chernobyl haven't been casually, unthinkingly brushed aside. Those were painful lessons, but they don't logically lead to an abandonment of nuclear power.