Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The End of my MY Story (at least for now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today really was a bummer. What started out 4 months ago thinking I would get a really cool car turned into a bad dream.

Right before the Covid started I decided to sell My MS and get a Model X. Started looking for the X but couldn’t quite find one I liked. Sold my MS and ended talking to Tesla about the MY right after they shut down. Tesla said there were a few around and I could order one. During a confusing phone conversation and ordering what I thought was a MY, turned into a M3 perf which I did not want. Ended up losing my deposit. (Should have stopped there) Got call a few days later from Tesla. And wanted to know If I wanted to test drive a MY, of course I did. Next day my daughter and I were the first in San Diego to test drive a MY. Ordered one that Day, 5/9 (white/Black, AWD, non-performance, 19”, no FSD ). Was told about 4 weeks to get one. Spent the next few weeks on online reading about the MY, checking for Vin #s, getting a fake one for Model X P90D, getting the 2 week text and in June getting a real Vin# , MVPA, then finally the text for delivery. On 6/13 My 2 kids and I armed with a checklist, went to the Carlsbad delivery center to get our MY. After a 45 min inspection and list of 22 issues with car including misalignments, paint, gap and rear seat problems the Tesla Delivery guy told us to reject the car and Tesla would issue us a new vin#. He said should take 7-10 days to get a new one. Left bummed but happy did not come with car that had issues. The following week got a new vin and new delivery date, 6/19. Back to Delivery center on 6/19 to take delivery. This car better with less issues (or so I thought). Took delivery with promise Tesla would resolve issues.

Next day got a chance to look the car over in natural light and discovered the passenger side door panels and rear 1/4 quarter panel paint did not match. Found a couple other gap issues I had missed. I made an appointment through the app and downloaded pictures of everything. ( have to do within 100 miles or Tesla will not take responsibility)Then got an appointment with a mobile repair, instead of service center. Tried get it changed but no luck. Decided I would take the car to a Tesla certified body shop here in San Diego and get their opinion.

Took it to the body shop and the news from the body shop was not good. Not only was the paint mismatched, but the manager of the shop found multiple other issues in the body that I had missed. Left for the Tesla Service center a little shell shocked and embarrassed that I had missed so many problems with car. When got service center which was surprising empty I was told I had go back to the delivery center to report cosmetic issues. It was then that I decided to return the car.

Drove to the delivery center, spoke to the manager, who passed me off to the Interim Service Manager. He had the personality of a grape. He told me the MY is a new car for a Tesla and all of issues should be expected. Offered no solutions or apologies other then here are the forms to sign to return the car and where were my key cards. He didn’t even ask what issues the car had. I asked when I would receive my down payment. He said 30 to 45 days and again asked for the key cards. Also informed me I could not order same model car with same trim level for 1 year.(already expected that)
My four month journey to buying another Tesla was over in 5 minutes.

What I learned....I did really like the MY as an EV, liked the technology. , hated that Tesla has some very big problems with production, Sales methods and Policies are horrible, a lot of their staff has no clue about the car business or even cars in general. If they do not make some changes in the way the treat customers now, in the long run not even having the best technology will save them when the competition catches up. By the way I loved my used Model S that bought at a Tesla Wholesale auction, maybe I should have kept it...Tesla if you are reading this you got your key cards back... I want my 40,000 down payment back now!,,.. A disappointed Tesla fan

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. The Interim Service Manager had the gall to tell you that issues should be expected. Wow.

I put my delivery off until August, and the more I see these issues and stories the more I will likely put it off further again. I'm a bit OCD about expecting a new car to look like a new, well built and engineered car, and right now it looks like clowns are assembling and painting the MYs and Tesla has the nerve to present these things for sale.

Reactions: NikolaACDC
Thats a huge bummer. Can you tell us what the issues that the shop found that you missed? So that those of us taking delivey soon can check for those?
Here is a list of what I found at Delivery and What the Body Shop found
Found during Delivery Vin #13xxx, done inside warehouse (Tesla would not allow car outside until Delivery accepted)
1. Small nick in hood edge
2. Both Rear Tail Lights Misaligned with Gaps. (Tesla now states it is part of the design LOL)
3. Misaligned Roof glass. (Tesla said it was normal and in specs)
4. Defective Rear Hatch Seal
5. Damaged Interior Panel behind rear seats
6. Misaligned exterior trim moldings (had decided this acceptable)
7. Sensor in front bumper not installed properly
Tesla agreed to fix 1,4,5,7

Found the next day. Added to Tesla App for service appointment (you must report all cosmetics defects within 100 miles!!!)
1. All four panels on Passenger side looked paint did not match
2. Left front fender looked loose.
3. Decided roof glass misaligned not acceptable

Took to Body shop on Monday after Friday Delivery
1. Body shop verified Paint mismatches on both sides of car
2. Body damage around right rear door catch
3. Body damage at both edges of right side doors
4. 3 of 4 doors hinges had paint damage, one was slightly bent
5. Verified damage to left front fender.
6. Front Hood hinge damaged , as well as hood stop bumper damaged

Asked Body shop how long it would take to repair. They said they had another car like mine in the shop now and they were waiting for parts and then completely repainting the car, probably a month.

Returned Car to Tesla that day.

My Takeway and advice: (for what is worth LOL)

I believe most of the issues I found were from poor production. Some issues I believe were created by QC trying to fix the production issues. I do believe once Tesla resolves it’s production issues the Model Y will be an awesome car.
Further more I think Tesla’s sales and customer relationship policies are seriously flawed. Because I returned the car I am now banned from buying another MY in the same trim level. I think that this is very foolish policy. Not only does it create ill-will with the very customers they are trying to attract, but it reduces the total sales they are hellbent on increasing. Tesla should be focusing on building a quality car, not on total sales. The total sales will come with a quality product.

At this point I would wait to take Delivery of a MY until this issues are addressed and resolved.
If you really have to buy a MY right now I would advise having a good checklist, flashlight, mirror, insist on being able to inspect the car in an environment that allows you see the whole car. I would also strongly advise you to take a person with that has auto body experience. Maybe even hire a body shop person to go with you. In the long run, the extra money will reduce any heart breaks you might have down the road. Good Luck

Found during Delivery Vin #13xxx, done inside warehouse (Tesla would not allow car outside until Delivery accepted)
2. Both Rear Tail Lights Misaligned with Gaps. (Tesla now states it is part of the design LOL)

Found the next day. Added to Tesla App for service appointment (you must report all cosmetics defects within 100 miles!!!)

Asked Body shop how long it would take to repair. They said they had another car like mine in the shop now and they were waiting for parts and then completely repainting the car, probably a month.

I believe most of the issues I found were from poor production. Some issues I believe were created by QC trying to fix the production issues. I do believe once Tesla resolves it’s production issues the Model Y will be an awesome car.
Further more I think Tesla’s sales and customer relationship policies are seriously flawed. Because I returned the car I am now banned from buying another MY in the same trim level. I think that this is very foolish policy. Not only does it create ill-will with the very customers they are trying to attract, but it reduces the total sales they are hellbent on increasing. Tesla should be focusing on building a quality car, not on total sales. The total sales will come with a quality product.

At this point I would wait to take Delivery of a MY until this issues are addressed and resolved.
If you really have to buy a MY right now I would advise having a good checklist, flashlight, mirror, insist on being able to inspect the car in an environment that allows you see the whole car. I would also strongly advise you to take a person with that has auto body experience. Maybe even hire a body shop person to go with you. In the long run, the extra money will reduce any heart breaks you might have down the road. Good Luck
You did the right thing.They should not be delivering cars like this.

Just take a breath and buy an ICE vehicle that meets your standards. You will be much happier. Later on there will be EVs you can live with. They will exist because of supportive early adopters willing to live with some imperfection. Yes, I know that sounds smarmy but it's just the simple truth. My model Y isn't perfect, but it's a really really good car.

The car you returned does NOT sound typical. It sounds more like it was damaged in shipment or when it was used to do a demo.
Hopefully you will not be punished for returning the car as it was clearly defective in terms of body, paint and trim.
If all Teslas came out of the factory like this, they would not have hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers.
This is why I say this was damaged goods....way beyond production defects.
Someone at the service center likely knew this and thus they easily allowed its return with a lame excuse for the defects.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Such is life when the billionaire-owner of the company's compensation is focused on "get them out the door" vs having creating a culture where QC, manufacturability, and repairability czars have veto power.

Until that big baby lets go of the reigns, he'll never transition to being a real car company and the bigger players will have him for lunch, despite his slight lead of one production plant. Mustang-E and Bolt eSUV will kill Y if Elon doesn't get his $hit together quickly.

Autopilot is useless to most of us (Tesla's major calling card, apart from Supercharging) and lanekeeping/smart-cruise is all that's really needed. Anyone can pick up the Open Source for those functions on Github right now. Heck, the one in a Prius I rented a couple of years ago was perfectly acceptable (the one in the Bolt EV sucks as it is right now).

I’ve had a 2017 MS 100D for 3 years now. I didn’t have the delivery issues you had. But I couldn’t agree more with you on the unconscionable way Tesla treats it’s customers. I consider selling my car after every service experience as I hate the way I’m treated. Imagine paying $120k for a car and being treated by service like it’s a used Yugo! I love the car, but hate the service experience. So far, the former outweighs the latter.

Sorry about your experience.

During a confusing phone conversation and ordering what I thought was a MY, turned into a M3 perf which I did not want. Ended up losing my deposit.
Dude - you should get your deposit back. How do you end up with a Model 3 Performance instead of a Model Y order?

I would make a big stink about this after all your issues.

Your problem highlights the issues with Tesla's made to order policy and poor QC. I personally would not order a MY or any other Tesla at this time unless you are OK with a number of minor fit and finish issues like yours. The only other alternative is to be able to pre-inspect from a number of cars built to your spec and pick the best one.

I

good on ya for not accepting this! I cancelled both my Y orders due to the myriad quality issues Tesla thinks they are going to get away with. Not this time. I was happy to receive my perf 3 falwlessly without issues (except tear spoiler not being ready yet, which was all good) but not everyone was as lucky.

They really need to have their noses rubbed in this just as they get accolades when they do things right. New Tesla shoppers will not put up with this when they can see a competitors build not suffering for this nonsense. Im sure they will tighten up, but until they can deliver a passable car, i'm not delivering passable cash.