Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The external surface of roof and back glass is so “sticky”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not exactly sticky but it is not smooth at all. It is not the normal car external glass at all. After I apply car window cleaner with rain repellent on it and try to clean it with towel, it is so hard to even swipe the towel. I use

Invisible Glass 22-Ounce Premium Glass Cleaner with Rain Repellent​

, is this just don’t match with Tesla roof+back window well?

Thx!

crunchor: There's nothing unusual about Tesla glass. There must be something on your glass that needs to be removed, and the cleaner you're using obviously isn't working.

A qualified auto detail, or body shop, should be able to help you.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I just watch a local detailer video and the problem should be Tesla has parked the car outside for weeks or even months, since the city is very polluted so that there are dusts or whatever polluted sticked on the windows and car paints. The car paints are ok, may be they seriously washed the car body before giving out the car but not the windows.

Believe the Tesla roofs are coated to repel UV. Tesla recommends agains the use of rain repellants, especially on the windshield.
The windshield, roof, and rear liftgate glass is made of laminated glass, this blocks almost all of UV (due to the plastic layer in the middle).
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_Y_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

This article claims:
The Pittsburgh Glass Works exec says windshields absorb 100 percent of UVB rays (which cause sunburn), and around 98 percent of UVA rays.
https://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/06/not-all-car-windows-protect-against-uv-rays/

The roof glass is factory tinted, but this is generally done via pigment that is added to the glass when it is formed (it's not an external coating, think of stained glass instead of an aftermarket film or coating). Even aftermarket tint film is applied inside the glass for a reason: anything outside will very quickly wear out.

The rain repellant recommendation is because it can cause the wipers to perform poorly, it never mentions anything about a coating:
Contaminants on the windshield, or on the wiper blades, can reduce the effectiveness of the wipers. Contaminants include ice, wax spray from car washes, washer fluid with bug and/or water repellent, bird droppings, tree sap, and other organic substances.
CAUTION
Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises.
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...81B-B4D4-4973-9772-2AF488442CE1.html#D1E16953

Last edited:
It is not exactly sticky but it is not smooth at all. It is not the normal car external glass at all. After I apply car window cleaner with rain repellent on it and try to clean it with towel, it is so hard to even swipe the towel. I use

Invisible Glass 22-Ounce Premium Glass Cleaner with Rain Repellent​

, is this just don’t match with Tesla roof+back window well?

Thx!
When my model y was delivered it had a harder layer on it plus you could see the suction mounts when wet from the assembly line. As for invisible glass when you spray it it will creat a harder layer then you can buff out to a shine.

If you want the glass perfect & the paint.

The glass you need Stoners glass stripper, apply to all of it and then clean normally or you can do a coating/regular ammonia free windex or your invisible glass ( i run ultra glaco coating )
As for the paint to get that off i did a full iron decontamination, claybar and full paint correction.

I think the delivery roughness of the glass is what kills the oem wipers and creates the chatter, mine after being cleaned n coated is great!

Tesla advises against it because it could have the front camera throw a false positve when running autopilot so if you are hesitant you could just not coat that area around shrouds on the outer glass

GL