Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Eye of the Storm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woke up this morning at 5:30AM quite literally in the eye of Storm Ian. We live in a 12 story concrete condo so the storm has not really presented any problems, but it has caused a discussion of our model Y and it's relationship with water.

Obviously the high voltage section of the car is waterproof. If not we would have problems every time we went through a puddle. But how about the rest of the car? On the model Y there is NO backup for the electric door latches. If we wind up in the water somewhere are the doors going to open, the windows work? Some of the unerpasses in central Florida have up to five feet of water in them. The State Patrol is going nuts rescuing people that did not realize there was that much water there. Am I going to be able to get out of the car or am I just trapped? Has this ever been tested?

another article, but I have yet to see confirmation of more than 1 fire. Has anyone else?

I've seen at least two. The first one was that white Model X that gets posted everywhere.

The second one looked more like a Model 3, but it was hard to tell since it was completely burned. The person posting about it claimed that ~5 more of them burned at the same multifamily dwelling, but there were no others pictures. The photo itself was odd, tbh.

Outside of that, I haven't heard specifics on any incidents. I hope someone does a detailed report of what actually happened, instead of just insinuation.

the vid with the white model x did not look like a lithium fire
was the Model 3?
It looks like it might have been the pack? The video shows them accessing the cut loop from the front, but it also shows them cooling the pack from the bottom:

That video says there were 4 others just from one department. This was the other one that had photos:
Having said that, 12V battery fires aren't really uncommon after flooding either. Its hard to say if the stats will really be worse. Mostly the solution seems to be to get the flooded ones away from structures.