Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Happiness Guarantee...anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my model s for almost 3 months. Love the car. Trouble is, it's been in the shop now three times. Twice it was in for 12v battery issues, which I understand is pretty common. The last time (currently - 2 weeks) is because a faulty seal on the windshield which caused water to slowly leak over time, which then affected a wiring harness.

My wife is very unhappy with the car. Her chief concern is that it is unreliable and fears we will get stranded somewhere. She wants me to return it. I confess that my own confidence in the vehicle has been shaken. For now, there's an easy way out...the happiness guarantee. I've spoken with the sales team and they say I can invoke the clause and move on. I have until Friday to decide...after that, the car is mine for good.

My car was manufactured at the very end of 2015, when there was a big push by Tesla to meet 4Q targets. One of the sales reps actually suggested it might be a "lemon", which is not a great word to use around a new car owner who just spent almost $120, 000 on a vehicle. And I've read some horror stories about a few who have had persistent problems with their vehicles....it seems there are cars that are prone to failures.

I have yet to read of anyone actually using the "Happiness Guarantee" and returning their Tesla. Anyone? Anyone have what they would call a "lemon" that they regret not returning when they had the chance?

I'm guessing that you are leasing because (and maybe I'm wrong) I think the guarantee only applies to leased cars. But your comment about spending the $120K on the car confuses me because that sounds like a purchase. This kind of impacts my thinking. Can you confirm you are leasing?

Is you and your wife disillusioned with Tesla as a whole? Or just with your particular car?

If just your car...

Look at the announcement tomorrow. If you see something you like, take a look at invoking the upgrade clause of the Happiness Guarantee. Not exactly sure how that works (the wording is vague), but it may be worth investigating.

I'm guessing that you are leasing because (and maybe I'm wrong) I think the guarantee only applies to leased cars. But your comment about spending the $120K on the car confuses me because that sounds like a purchase. This kind of impacts my thinking. Can you confirm you are leasing?

You are correct...we are leasing. So, yes, we are not on the hook for the entire cost of the car. But the value of the car remains the same, and so the salesperson's remark about the lemon is discouraging for a vehicle of that value. I guess I'm looking at about 2/3rds of a lemon. Somewhere between a lemon and a lime, perhaps.

I would use the happiness guarantee. Can't keep worrying if my wife or kid get stranded in the middle of nowhere. Does anyone know if Tesla can invoke the "never sell to this customer for life" clause if someone does return the car? It'd be very petty but curious if that's the downside.

Is you and your wife disillusioned with Tesla as a whole? Or just with your particular car?

If just your car...

Look at the announcement tomorrow. If you see something you like, take a look at invoking the upgrade clause of the Happiness Guarantee. Not exactly sure how that works (the wording is vague), but it may be worth investigating.

Thanks for the tip.
I'm not disillusioned with the company. I still want them to change the world. I do think they tend to over-promise and under-deliver, a flaw which seems to promulgate their corporate culture, from the CEO on down. This can be frustrating.

I will see what happens tomorrow. Although, here in Canada, our prices have been hit hard by a weakened dollar. Couple that with our provincial government's decision to rescind incentives and the fact that an upgraded car will have a higher base price (presumably), I might be looking at a significant increase in price.

Unless your wife can understand that the most important aspects of the car are in order while seals can be fixed and 12V battery replaced - return the car.

Btw, why was your 12v battery replaced multiple times?

You should have the right to the happiness guarantee. If your interested in a new car, negotiate with them. One of the conditions of the happiness guarantee is you can't re-purchase the same type of car. I think you can move up.

I know the feeling. New car and in the shop multiple times. I have had my CPO for 5 months and it has been in the shop 3 times and is going back in again next week for air conditioner noise, pano roof rattle, and interior of frunk coming loose. The funny thing is that both myself and my wife love it and have put 8,000 miles on it in this short time. Our two Land Cruisers just sit.

But, since my wife is the main driver, if she felt that she didn't trust it, it would have to sold. She initially had the same thoughts due to some air buffeting and nav issues. Tesla solved the air buffeting and we turned off the trip features and smart rerouting on the NAV so that it didn't send us off and on the freeway randomly.

We remain cautiously optimistic and are fortunate to live less than 10 miles from a great service center.

Lastly, it sounds like you have been talking to the service center, can you get them to give you a 1 month extension to decide?

Good luck and I hope it turns out well for you.

I'd like to know the details in this regard as well!

They keep $5000. The rest of your down payment is returned.

Here's where it gets a bit murky. I did receive a subsidy from the government which would more than cover the down payment, and some of what I have already paid in the lease. On the one hand, one could argue that I would need to return that money, which would make returning the vehicle costly. On the other hand, that subsidy is granted as an incentive to manufacture a car and bring it to market. That has been done and the value of the car has not decreased by the amount of the subsidy - it has decreased by the amount of the lease payments, and, arguably, the amount of the downpayment. These latter two I've paid. If there was a program in which a subsidy could be transferred to a new owner, then clearly I would have to give the money back, since there would be a benefit or incentive to a new customer. But i don't think that's how it works. I'd have to read the fine print of the tax-incentive program.

Curious how? I am still suffering through it on and off for over a year.
They adjusted the rear hatch. From what I have read here, and I messed with it myself, you take a piece of newspaper and place it over the rubber stoppers on each corner of the rear hatch. close the hatch and try to pull the paper out. If it slides out easily (mine did on both sides) you need your hatch adjusted. I took mine in, but you rotate the stoppers ½ to ¾ of a turn (they are threaded) out until the paper no longer can be pulled out, and no tighter. Boom, or no boom, since the buffeting was gone. The service center may have done more, but I couldn't pull paper out after they did there magic.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
We're in the process of returning one of ours and that's exactly it. You lose the $5k down payment and the 1-3 car payments you've made but you can walk away free and clear with no additional fees.
Wow that is expensive.

I think for some that is their whole lease for other EV cars. Honestly if it is a lease, i would keep it. Tesla is on the hook for all the repairs and you should be able to get loaners which you can add miles on without adding it to your lease. Also at the end of thr day it is not your car so yeah.

Reactions: Caligula and xav-
Wow that is expensive.

I think for some that is their whole lease for other EV cars. Honestly if it is a lease, i would keep it. Tesla is on the hook for all the repairs and you should be able to get loaners which you can add miles on without adding it to your lease. Also at the end of thr day it is not your car so yeah.

I know. I've gone around and around on it but at the end of the day, it's better to cut our losses now then deal with another 34 months of issues with our X at which point we'd be on the hook for a larger amount of negative equity if we wanted to get out of it.