Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The high-pitched whine during acceleration...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this for a while at very high acceleration in my car. Since it was at a level of acceleration I rarely attained, I didn't much care.

The other day, I had a loaner S60 while my car was getting the tire pressure sensitivity changed. The loaner had the whine at any level of acceleration and was annoying as hell.

If the loaner had been my car, I'd have had an absolute fit.

My points are two:

* It obviously varies from car to car
* It definitely is NOT normal
* In some circumstances, it can be ignored; in others, it's intolerable

I have a P85 loaner right now, and it has the ballon air whine under full acceleration. This whine is totally different, than what my car has(regular 85kwh). My car has a subtle whine that is of a totally different frequency than the loaner(not a big deal). The loaner has a very loud whine under full acceleration, but is stone quiet otherwise(who knows for how long since it only has 250 miles on it). The P85 car I test drove in july 2012 had no noise at all.

I just wanted to post this info here because I previously thought that my car had this acceleration whine, when in fact it's a totally different noise. I wonder how many others are having trouble differentiating these drivetrain noises? Are there any non-performance cars out there with the loud full acceleration balloon squeal whine that my loaner has?

The whine sound has slowly gotten a bit worse on my car, in that it now happens at a lower power level. It still requires brisk acceleration, but previously it had to be almost to the floor.

I've noticed it a lot lately as well. Mainly when on the quiet back roads near our new home. If I'm on the accelerator at all it's whining. For a while I thought it was the buzzing fromt he ambient lights again, until I disabled them and realized I heard it when I was accelerating (even at cruising speed)

I guess, when it comes down to it, what I'm really worried about is having my passengers break into a fit of giggles at the noise, rather than being awed by the acceleration. :redface:

I don't expect the car to be totally silent under acceleration. There's some electric whine in my current hybrid and I don't mind it.

By the sound of it I'll just have to wait and see when I get my car.

I know this sounds basic, but make sure you don't have the AM radio accidentally turned on and tuned to dead air. You will hear an audio whistle or whine through the AM radio whenever you accelerate or regen, similar to when you are listening to AM and drive under a bunch of high tension wires.

It seems as though most are complaining about this noise under full throttle acceleration. I can't imagine anyone with a P85 needing full throttle acceleration under normal driving conditions. Most of us didn't get this car for racing, and you don't even need to go to full throttle to impress the vast majority of passengers. Just saying.

I have a P85 loaner right now, and it has the ballon air whine under full acceleration. This whine is totally different, than what my car has(regular 85kwh). My car has a subtle whine that is of a totally different frequency than the loaner(not a big deal). The loaner has a very loud whine under full acceleration, but is stone quiet otherwise(who knows for how long since it only has 250 miles on it). The P85 car I test drove in july 2012 had no noise at all.

I just wanted to post this info here because I previously thought that my car had this acceleration whine, when in fact it's a totally different noise. I wonder how many others are having trouble differentiating these drivetrain noises? Are there any non-performance cars out there with the loud full acceleration balloon squeal whine that my loaner has?

100% the same experience with a loaner. I thought my car had an acceleration whine, and couldn't see what the big deal was - it is pleasant sounding to me actually. So I didn't know what all these "whiners" were going on about.

But the P85+ loaner I picked up once had an annoyingly load whine that would disturb me as well.

Add me to the list. My Model S vin 15,531 has 3,600 miles and just today has developed the most annoying whine under any acceleration. Called the Raleigh service center and they told me that it comes from battery vibration and it's normal. It is most certainly not normal and it's incredibly frustrating/annoying to listen too. Has anyone had any satisfaction getting this corrected from Tesla? It's sounds like they are trying to downplay it, but come on, it shouldn't sound like that. It has to be some kind of defect...let me know if anyone's had any luck getting the problem corrected. Thanks!

Add me to the list. My Model S vin 15,531 has 3,600 miles and just today has developed the most annoying whine under any acceleration. Called the Raleigh service center and they told me that it comes from battery vibration and it's normal. It is most certainly not normal and it's incredibly frustrating/annoying to listen too. Has anyone had any satisfaction getting this corrected from Tesla? It's sounds like they are trying to downplay it, but come on, it shouldn't sound like that. It has to be some kind of defect...let me know if anyone's had any luck getting the problem corrected. Thanks!

I honestly think it is part of the way an electric motor works. I have it on my Model S and I have a similar, although different pitch whine, on my roadster as well. Our subway system here in Montreal is all electric and has a whine when it accelerates. Harmonics/vibrations created from the vibrating coil windings under high voltage will create these sounds. I kind of find them cool. Spaceship or jet engine-like. I really would not say it is a defect.

You did right to call the service center to check but they are not feeding you BS. Everyone has this to some extent or other.

I've had the 'balloon deflating' whine in our 60 from day one (5,000 miles), under hard acceleration.
Our 85 never (18,000 miles) exhibited this.

Recently though, after hearing the whine under hard acceleration, we would also hear the identical sound under hard (40-60kW) regen.
The sound would persist at lower kW than it took to start it.

Anyone else experiencing it on regen as well?

Clarification for whining sound...

Well ... if Bajas21 is getting it with less than 80 kW of power, then it's not normal. Bajas21 -- do you literally mean any acceleration, or what's the minimum power you need to apply before you get it?

Sorry for the lack of clarity. It is definitely under hard acceleration, but not at all putting my foot to the floor. It started when I went to pass someone on the freeway and now anytime I accelerate beyond normal, I hear it. Before hearing it on my vehicle, I couldn't understand what others meant by "balloon deflating" whine or squeal, but that's exactly what it sounds like. I'd be more apt to believe it was normal if it did it from the start, but not sure why now after 3,600 miles it started. Again, very frustrating/annoying. Thanks again for any insight!

I honestly think it is part of the way an electric motor works.

Mine has developed a kind of "droning" sound at freeway speeds. At first I thought it was tire noise, but if I back off the accelerator, the sound goes away when power reaches zero and under re-gen, but immediately comes back when power is re-applied. It does seem to be proportional to speed, but doesn't get any louder under heavy acceleration/power use compared to low or moderate power use. I'm sure it wasn't there before, but other than this, no ill effects. It's on my list for Service to look at (I'm coming up on 13,000 miles).

Another "Me Too"
I have started to notice a quiet, but new, whine with even mild acceleration or aggressive regeneration. It goes away when I'm in a more "neutral" position (ie. not really regen or acceleration), but as soon as I apply the 'go pedal' even a little I notice a subtle whine. Not enough to worry about. I mentioned it to the Ranger yesterday when he was replacing my door handles and he mentioned that they've replaced quite a number of driver units, but usually for much more dramatic noise than what I'm hearing and that what I'm hearing may be "normal" for the electric motor.

I'm in the "will monitor" phase, but if it gets any worse I'll ask to have it addressed.

I recorded this sound in my P85 (same as others described here, when accelerating fast a loudish balloon whine plays on top of the normal acceleration whine) and played this for the tech's at Queens service center. They all heard it and said 'this is normal and is present in every single MS'. According to them, there is no defect/problem here. Nothing to fix. Also while I had the loaner vehicle, I let loose on the pedal a few times and sure enough the loaner has it too. I'll see if I can upload my recording here later tonight.