Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The impact of NACS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even these days you'll find some superchargers getting full and there is wait time. What are your thoughts on when Tesla owners have to charge next to Ford, Kia, BMW, Rivian, etc.?
SmartSelect_20240121_110250_Maps.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
This topic has been covered ad nauseum, but my response has not changed...why are you only worried about non-Tesla models? Tesla is still putting out way more cars than those other makers, so why not ask how existing Tesla owners feel about having to charge next to all those new Tesla owners that came after them? Isn't it really the same thing?

As long as they've been able to claim value in having the Supercharger network, Tesla has had a responsibility to keep up the rate of expansion of the Supercharger network with the pace of the number of vehicles that have access to it. In that respect, nothing has changed. If they want to open up the network to other vehicles AND claim that they have a pre-eminent network, then they have a responsibility to make sure that the rate of expansion keeps up with those vehicles, regardless of make.

And the good news is that the revenue they earn from those other makes, at least supposedly being more expensive for those makes, will actually enable Tesla to expand the network in a more sustainable fashion.

Even these days you'll find some superchargers getting full and there is wait time. What are your thoughts on when Tesla owners have to charge next to Ford, Kia, BMW, Rivian, etc.?View attachment 1011019
Why the 'them vs us' attitude? We're all driving EVs, so what's the problem? I see more non-Tesla fast charging sites being built as well, that most Teslas will be able to use. Would you feel bad about using one of those?

Tesla has been pretty good about expanding the SC network to keep up with the rapid expansion of the EVs. While there are locations that get a lot of use, most SCs I visit while traveling are nearly vacant.

This is the layout at Burlington Wa Costco Drive SC, suitable for just about any charging port location. There shouldn’t be much problem with blocked stalls if they keep improving the setup like this. I was towing and charged there without blocking any stalls and it was crowded at the time. Pic is from google.

Attachments

• AD532C88-7D36-46C8-B0C2-43D5376AD621.jpeg
    AD532C88-7D36-46C8-B0C2-43D5376AD621.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: TexaCali
My concern with non Tela's isn't a "us vs them" thing. It is about compatibility with cars that weren't designed for the Tesla charger. I worry about blocked stalls because the charging port is in the wrong location, people who can't get it to work because the app isn't configured correctly, or any number of "technical" issues that will cause stalls to be clogged up by cars/drivers having difficulty because they don't have a Tesla.

I suspect these "non Tesla" compatibility issues will eventually be resolved, but initially I expect there will be some growing pains. Once it is worked out, it should be better for everyone. Just don't be surprised if it gets worse before it gets better.

• Disagree
Reactions: Motorolabizz