Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Legendary Tesla Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a drained battery, which you don't let happen if you know you're on a 120v circuit.

In most cases, it's a manageable solution until you can get something better.

It depends if you bought the 300 mile EV because you need an EV with more than 80 miles range.

If you work 40 miles away, and the weather is mild, and you don't drive 80mph, you can make it with 15 hours of charging a day That will leave you with about 3 miles to spare? Or call a tow.

I can guarantee it is not cost neutral. Different adapters will be different costs to manufacture. There are costs associated with carrying inventory, cost associated with extra personnel time finding and swapping adapters, etc. Of course maybe we are talking dollars and cents here, but even if half the people who have reservations wanted to swap, that is potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars.

So, your argument is that Tesla Service, (the people who work on these cars) shouldn't have common parts like these around? That holding, say, 2 or 3 of each adapter would be cost prohibitive? Keep in mind, these adapters are already in stock somewhere in the company.

I had a Tesla Mobile Ranger deliver my car free of charge to my home after a repair done at their service facility 100 miles away. BMW never did that for me when I owned their cars. And yes, Tesla is also competing with Audi. 1.2 million Audi owners get to return to the the dealership three times to fix a fire risk that Audi seems to be having trouble quickly repairing.

Double Down on Recall of 1.2 Million Audi Vehicles over Coolant Pump Fire Risk - Newsome | Melton

Thats cool. They wouldn't swap a $35 adapter for me so I could charge. So I guess you could say we had different experiences.

They wouldn't swap a $35 adapter for me so I could charge. So I guess you could say we had different experiences.

Not that they should have swapped out adapters for you, but you already stated they didn't have any in stock. So, I'm not sure how they could have even if their policy allowed it.

It's a bummer they didn't have any in stock. And it's a bummer you didn't confirm this ahead of time to not make it a big deal.

Reactions: H2050
Keep telling unhappy customers they are entitled.

I cant charge my $55k electric car. Wah wah. How dare I complain.

Keep dismissing criticism. Part of the tesla "brand" has been its amazing customer support stories. Wait until thousands of 1 year post reveal orders get their cars and can only charge them at 5 miles an hour when they get home, with no option but to wait 4 days for an adapter. It should go really well.

Were you not aware that the standard ways to charge a Tesla are using a HPWC or 14-50 outlet? Yes Tesla makes adapters for several other outlets (such as your 14-30) but they’re not that commonly used as a primary charging source. If a buyer plans to use a non-standard source he should prepare for it, just as one would prepare by having the 14-50 outlet or HPWC installed ahead of time. In five years on this forum this is the first complaint I’ve seen that a different adapter should have been available at delivery.

As for your claim that you can’t charge your car for the few days it takes to get the adapter you need, it came with a J1772 adapter. Have you looked on Plugshare for public charging stations near you? Is there a supercharger anywhere near you?

So, I get my car. I write a check the size of a college education. Flawless vehicle, but the delivery? Not so much. Two nitpicks. The phone chargers? One USB-C and one Iphone.

On a $55k car, could we maybe just stock all the common types still in use and allow the customer to choose? Aparently Tesla is on a shoestring budget when it comes to $5 cables. Small nitpick, but OK.

Second itsy bitsy problem. They include a NEMA 14-50 adapter. My garage has a NEMA 14-30.

Me:"Could I just change it out?"

TESLA:"We dont stock other adapters, (AT TESLA SERVICE), but you can purchase one on our website for an additional charge..."

Ok, so I just dropped SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS on a car, and you will not provide me a means to charge it?!

TESLA: "Sorry we didn't notify you about the type of adapter it came with." (Presumably so I could drop extra money on the adapter in advance.)

Legendary. Tesla. Service.

Way to wow the customer.

Pay for the adaptor sell the current one on Craigslist or Ebay. Avoid scammers, easy.

Try asking the dealers if they’ll swap out the same parts for you and see what they say? Same policy everywhere.

It would be cost neutral. All NEMA adapters made by Tesla cost $35. Why wouldn't Tesla service:

1) Carry all accessories for sale. Its not like there is a huge amount available on the Tesla website.

2) Make whatever charging solution you have in your house available at time of purchase.

They make the adapters. It would be cost neutral. I get it, this website is for Tesla fanbois. What you fail to realize is that the "mass market" is not full of Tesla fans. Tesla will have to win the mass market over with a SUPERIOR customer experience. Usually that involves an expense to the company. In this case the net cost is ZERO.

I am your grandparents. I just bought a $55k car. I get it home and cannot charge it. Explain to me why I am wrong for being upset.

Go.

I agree with you about the phone adapters but I don't think you can fault Tesla on the adapters.

Think of it this way, they have HUNDREDS of service centers. If they start stocking all kinds pf chargers then probably need to stop about 10+ per service center X number of different adapters X the number of service centers. Pretty soon you are talking about many thousands of adapters with most just sitting there. Having a central inventory with quick shipping is a much better way for Tesla to handle this matter.

It also seems reasonable to ensure your current plug works to charge the electric vehicle you are about to buy.

All I can say is that you will absolutely LOVE your Tesla. This hiccup will be forgotten by you before long and Tesla will take good care of you should you ever have an issue.

It would be cost neutral. All NEMA adapters made by Tesla cost $35. Why wouldn't Tesla service:

1) Carry all accessories for sale. Its not like there is a huge amount available on the Tesla website.

2) Make whatever charging solution you have in your house available at time of purchase.

They make the adapters. It would be cost neutral. I get it, this website is for Tesla fanbois. What you fail to realize is that the "mass market" is not full of Tesla fans. Tesla will have to win the mass market over with a SUPERIOR customer experience. Usually that involves an expense to the company. In this case the net cost is ZERO.

I am your grandparents. I just bought a $55k car. I get it home and cannot charge it. Explain to me why I am wrong for being upset.

Go.
Did you or did you not, do ANY reading and research on what you were purchasing?
I spent months looking into all aspects of my 'College' size purchase, as I'm sure most Tesla 'fans' before me.
My charging needs was very much in my plans as it should have been in yours.
You are coming across as being petulant and the USB phone cords can be had from the local Dollar store for,,, a dollar

Reactions: MissyMcBee
Totally agree, they are competing with BMW AUDI and MB. they should act they they have been there before.
Service lacks any professionalism and expertise on car. Three trips to service w/o issues being resolved, repeat trips to replace parts removed by "technicians" (actually out of work college kids).
While I think they should swap out cables too. But I know for fact BMW or MERC won’t bend either when it comes to cables. Same with VW My last 5 series comes with iPod cables I needed or wanted the newer lightning version. They told me to go buy it.

(Mod note: moved 8 other posts in this thread to snippiness — leaving a note here instead of in a separate reply post to avoid bumping the thread...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to disturbing you guys.

I just bought a Lamborghini Urus with some customized option for $280k. Somehow I forgot to research and add the window shade+lightning cable to my package.

After delivered, I brought it to the dealer and complained about not having shades & cables. They refused to give me shades. But the manager is so nice. He unplugged his iphone cable and gave me that one. Should I rate them 1 star?

I f
Sorry to disturbing you guys.

I just bought a Lamborghini Urus with some customized option for $280k. Somehow I forgot to research and add the window shade+lightning cable to my package.

After delivered, I brought it to the dealer and complained about not having shades & cables. They refused to give me shades. But the manager is so nice. He unplugged his iphone cable and gave me that one. Should I rate them 1 star?

I don't know. Could you fuel your vehicle?