Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The longest service/repair ever...need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. I posted many times before ever mentioning some of the problems my car has had and I still have not posted about all of the problems. People (including me) love their Tesla's. I think this leads many to overlook smaller issues. An example can be found here -http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/no-problems-list

That is a thread for people to post that have "no problems". However. last time I checked there were 15 posts in the thread that actually mentioned a problem (albeit minor in their eyes)! So these posters actually had a problem with the car but felt compelled to post that they didn't. I liken this to the original iPhone. It did some things so well compared to what came before it that most people overlooked its failings. (no app store, no copy/paste/ no 3G, no removeable battery, etc.). No doubt it was a popular phone and Apple changed the wireless phone game, but it still had problems. Some of the customers drank the kool-aid and couldn't possibly admit it wasn't absolutely perfect.

Agreed. OP, while I don't agree with those calling you whiny or waving the usual fanboy flags, I do agree with some that say for the discount and how much they've fixed things so far, maybe its time to accept it or move on (this coming from someone who still has issues with their car).

I disagree. I posted many times before ever mentioning some of the problems my car has had and I still have not posted about all of the problems. People (including me) love their Tesla's. I think this leads many to overlook smaller issues. An example can be found here -http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/no-problems-list

That is a thread for people to post that have "no problems". However. last time I checked there were 15 posts in the thread that actually mentioned a problem (albeit minor in their eyes)! So these posters actually had a problem with the car but felt compelled to post that they didn't. I liken this to the original iPhone. It did some things so well compared to what came before it that most people overlooked its failings. (no app store, no copy/paste/ no 3G, no removeable battery, etc.). No doubt it was a popular phone and Apple changed the wireless phone game, but it still had problems. Some of the customers drank the kool-aid and couldn't possibly admit it wasn't absolutely perfect.

I totally agree with you Splunge. These forums are extremely useful and full of valuable information. If this isn't the thread to post about issues related to delivery issues I'm not sure what is? I mean it's all related. Sure, the OP's incident is different as it was a loaner vehicle but what's clear is there are people getting new cars that are having issues as well.

People should be happy that these issues are being discussed so Tesla can improve not angry or bothered by the fact that people are mentioning them. Because longer term, even those of you that own stock if you bought it for the long-term then Tesla needs to improve these things. And I'm confident they will.

OP here with an update. Tesla is shipping my local service center a newly manufactured lift-gate. They want to see if the alignment issues will be corrected with an entirely new unpainted lift-gate. If it fits properly, they said they will have the body shop spray it and put it on the car. I'm actually happy that Tesla is doing this. I think it shows their commitment to their clients and I am hopeful that this will be the final fix.

OP here with a final update...I picked up my car on November 1st from the service center--3 months to the day I first dropped it off. The replacement lift gate didn't quite solve the alignment issue 100%. I had to come to terms with the fact that the first 1300 cars produced had some fit/alignment issues since they were hand assembled. I went all the way to the top to Jerome and to his credit, he made things right. I don't want to get into specifics but suffice to say that I am satisfied with the outcome.

I was worried that they would not stand by their product and they did. I also won't to mention that Jerome and Noe called/emailed me after hours and on the weekends in order to get this resolved. I have my car back and all is well.

Here's hoping Tesla stock continues to do well...

P85 ● VIN 01205 ● Grey Metallic ● Black Roof ● 19” Standard Wheels ● Grey Performance Leather Seats ● Lacewood Décor ● CF Spoiler ● Twin Chargers ● Tech/UHF Sound Packages ● Smart Air Suspension ● Fog Lamps ● Alcantara Headliner ● Rear Facing Seats ● Premium Interior Lighting

Last edited:
Interesting. I thought that VIN was reserved for a marketing car.

After re-skimming the OP, aha!
I bought a demo Model S

Regarding my original statement, some might be asking "Why do you say that?"

I'll edit in a minute with a link for more context.

Update:

Here's a link to one of the more "conclusive" posts regarding that theory (from almost a year ago).
Decoding Tesla Model S VINs - Page 18

Also, of interest, from the same thread:
5YJSA1DP6CFP01201 Get Amped @ Palo Alto, Blue
5YJSA1DP9CFP01208 Get Amped @ Palo Alto, Black
5YJSA1DPXCFP01203 Performance, Brown, Pano roof, test drive car for Washington Square Showroom (Portland, OR)

So...why this all matters (other than just historical trivia) is that I find it totally expected (though annoying for the owner, of course) that these particular vehicles will likely have some of the same 'challenges' as NA Signatures (and maybe more due to undergoing some Get Amped events and such).

Last edited: