Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 I want is getting pretty expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's not forget that at 35K, Model 3 will probably lose out on a thick 4-digit figure worth of lifetime supercharging. The entry level Model S sould be reduced by $5K or so for comparison. Of course only a part of the miles driven will be SUC powered, but these cars are not to have a short life. And electricity can almost only become more expensive.

The model S/X will likely be moved further upscale. Tesla has found plenty of buyers for super premium S/X. No reason not to keep that going. The dash and screens will be redone. Maybe a passenger screen will get added. The model 3 perhaps gets a basic HUD. The S/X perhaps gets a superset of the model 3 HUD functionality.

The glass roof just added to model S signals that the model 3 will always be a subset of the model S.

But I do think that the model 3 becomes Tesla's mainstream sedan. It absolutely overlaps with the lower priced S today. The model S may have sheet metal changes coming when the Porsche electric arrives.

I may be willing to pay the same price for generation 2 or 3 but not generation 1. Heck there is so much technology in the car that I am worried that a buyer like me (owns cars for 10 years) is a fool for even thinking about it. Who wants to own a 5-10 year old computer.
Your 5 year old computer will still be far advanced over a (future) brand new abacus.

I can see the S&X being upgraded even more. If not to raise price, then to add value.

An extended Model S, and X for that matter, would be pretty awesome. Imagine them as executive vehicles, no 3rd rows, just huge luxury and leg room in the second row. And, with the extra wheelbase, why not throw in an extra 30kWh (over the 120kWh non-extended top model), to in part justify the price, and also, raise the stakes even more in terms of long range BEV's. Well over 500 miles of electric range and no compromise luxury. Right now it would only complify production, but ones they've established some overcapacity, nice to steal some Bentley business.

Why? The Model 3 already has the same roof. How would the Model S getting the roof signal that it is going upscale compared to the 3?

The new roof doesn't necessarily signal this, but EM has directly stated that the Model S/X will be Tesla's premium vehicles in comparison to the mainstream Model 3 (somewhere in this video during the Q&A at the very end, which is good to watch in its entirety anyway:

Probably indicates the S/X at least having the new features first, but probably will have exclusive technology/features/trim items not available in the Model 3.

Reactions: Red Sage
The new roof doesn't necessarily signal this, but EM has directly stated that the Model S/X will be Tesla's premium vehicles in comparison to the mainstream Model 3 (somewhere in this video during the Q&A at the very end, which is good to watch in its entirety anyway:

Probably indicates the S/X at least having the new features first, but probably will have exclusive technology/features/trim items not available in the Model 3.
If by exclusive you mean expensive and difficult to mass produce at an effective price. Some things are simply unnecessary and error prone like presenting door handles etc.

Reactions: Red Sage