Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "must do's" when selling a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm selling my 2013 Model S and taking delivery of a new Models S 75D with autonomous driver. What are the top things to do before selling my Tesla?

1. Reset to factory settings.
2. Delete Wifi network
3. Delete User Profile.
4. Remove EZ Pass
5. Clean out glovebox, trunk, etc.

Other suggestions? Any way to clear navigation Home and Work along with past searches?

Thanks, Hugh

Reactions: Whyrad
I think the factory settings do all that for you... I'm pretty sure the manual lists what gets reset.

Except emptying the glove box, of course!

Remember to package up the UMC and adapters, too.

Erasing Personal Data

You can erase all personal data (saved addresses, music favorites, imported contacts, HomeLink programming, etc.) and restore all customized settings to their factory defaults. This is useful when transferring ownership of Model S. Touch Controls > Settings > Service & Reset > Factory Reset > Erase & Reset. Before erasing, Model S verifies your credentials by prompting you to enter the user name and password associated with your MY TESLA account.

Great posts, thanks! I did the factory reset but the navigation locations including home and work are still there.

What?!? That's a bug in my book. I guess if you can't clear those locations, then set them to some locations not associated with you (like the address of your Service Center).

I'd check the contacts list and Bluetooth pairings...you'd think those would be cleared by a factory reset though.

On that note, did the factory reset erase the list of places where you have charged? On the 8.0 software there doesn't appear to be a way to delete charging locations, and when it was discussed here on TMC awhile back, the only workaround hinged on being able to clear that list with a factory reset. It'd be Very Bad (tm) if even that doesn't work!

Bruce.

On that note, did the factory reset erase the list of places where you have charged? On the 8.0 software there doesn't appear to be a way to delete charging locations, and when it was discussed here on TMC awhile back, the only workaround hinged on being able to clear that list with a factory reset. It'd be Very Bad (tm) if even that doesn't work!

I don't think it is a bug in Tesla's mind because I've seen the diagnostic screens (accessible only by service personnel and a few enterprising individuals around here) and there is an option in there to delete the charging history.

When I sold my first MS, factory reset took care of everything, destinations, contacts, history, etc. I know because I did it twice, the first time when I thought the buyer was picking it up, then again a week later when he actually did. It was software 6.x the, so a while back.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I'm in a line with 200 people in front of me at the DMV, and now I read I have to walk back to my car and finish the reset that I thought Factory Reset took care of like nav, garage and wifi. Thanks for this thread!

One nice thing I did for the new owner is set the driver settings to the same as I had so that they have the same experience that they had during test drive, and the same that I found worked with the car; they can adjust it from there to their liking. (I made it slightly more generic, for instance, no speed offset.)

I'm leaving it in Valet mode for the tow back East (it's going to the East Coast).

The reason I came here to post is because I want us (at first me, and the new owner as soon as we get Tesla Customer Service to update their ownership records) to be able to track its location in the Tesla app, but right now it's telling me it's located at Tesla HQ on Deer Park in Palo Alto, even though it's actually located near me in the East Bay; this is happening in both the official Tesla app and Remote S. Both apps are connecting fine, since other functions like remote honk (verified by sound) and turning off and on Valet mode work fine. Does anybody know how this happened, and how to fix it? Of course, when I get back to my car, I'll try:
  • Driving it a distance
  • Checking "privacy" type settings (my Always On and Remote Access are set on, but perhaps I misread the settings)
  • Touchscreen Reset

Last edited:
Update:

Factory Reset (firmware 17.26.76) does remove wifi, and all Navigation info such as Home, Work, history. It doesn't seem to keep Chademo or other charging sites I used; it has Destination charges listed. So it does properly delete those items.

The nav thinks I'm actually at HQ. But, it also lists my current road at the bottom as "Soto Rd, Hayward, CA", so the raw info is cooked right by that but not by the car location info (picture attached).

image.jpg

All I had to do to fix it was back the car up 30 feet (I had to curve a little), then park in the same parking spot I had. Both the nav and remote apps updated to correct info.

Caveat: I activated Tow Mode right before leaving the car during the problem period. Does Tow Mode disable tracking? That would be a horrible thing! Tow Mode would be a really easy way for a thief to steal the car and us not track it while it is in the chop shop, smuggling, or murder spree.

From this excerpt:
If your Model S needs to be towed, you can engage Tow Mode. Tow Mode will keep the parking brake disengaged and the car in Neutral. Note that the car must be in Park with the brake pedal pressed before Tow Mode can be engaged. To engage Tow Mode, go to the Controls>E-Brake & Power Of. To exit Tow Mode, you can either press the Tow Mode button again or shift to Park.
it seems like when I left the car in Park, Tow Mode wouldn't have activated fully yet, but perhaps it needs a cycle out of park and back to park to disable.

Last edited:
if you have any aftermarket things on the car, you may need to decide whether to remove them or sell them with the car to the new owner:

• Dashcam and associated wiring
  • Aftermarket lights or replacement lights for the interior lighting, trunk lighting, and puddle lamps (e.g. Abstract Ocean)
  • Wheels, lug nuts, lug nut covers
  • Aftermarket TPMS like the FoboTire.
  • Charging cables/adapters, including Chademo
  • Other similar items