Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New Normal - Parts Unpainted, Returning my Model Y

Would you keep?

• Yes

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Hells no

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After rejecting my first delivery VIN34xxx, I accepted my second VIN39xxx last Thursday. I inspected the vehicle, used the checklist. There were plenty of little things wrong but compared to the last vehicle, my new one had great fitment. the tail light alignment was great, and was really good compared to the rejects I had seen online. That is of course until I got home. i discovery that the door jams on the body of the vehicle where the doors are mounted hadn’t been painted. I contacted the manager of the delivery center and was told this is common and normal. Seriously? Have a look.

EAAC17C6-D3AE-45BA-9B57-93CB1D36FD31.jpeg 2B38013D-459A-4861-A2D8-3F5D97B7663D.jpeg F72109DB-978E-48C5-BA14-95F91C7D1684.jpeg 0CC7E934-C46E-4120-8E8A-D94A25F18072.jpeg

That aside, here are some the other issues I had scheduled for correction.

1. Impact ding on rear bumper.
BC2FBEDA-EB49-45CB-AEBC-3D29058E54AE.jpeg

2. Paint discoloration on passenger door.
296C8070-2EAE-4E6F-A74E-3E751916AED2.jpeg

3. Additional pain defect / possible sanding on passenger door.
AA412F11-C9F0-4FED-8FD6-BD2BB87E3090.jpeg

4. Drivers seat scratch. Was not assured this would be covered, which is crazy.
31FF92B1-3F57-4BDB-86A8-487C59888803.jpeg

Returning the car is a crappy option considering I won’t get the config I want. Plus, Tesla take 6 to 8 weeks to refund payment which is also crazy. As a frequent referrer and a stock holder, this experience is heart breaking. Had Tesla just stepped up and said “yes, we will absolutely correct and paint this’ I would have been fine. Unreal.

Attachments

• AC9628D2-8AD5-4E14-8446-4BEF5F7AE457.jpeg
    AC9628D2-8AD5-4E14-8446-4BEF5F7AE457.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Hey I’m just wondering if this is the specs of your Tesla Y vin# 39xxx That you rejected because I ordered my Tesla Y about a week and a half ago and today they texted me and said my Tesla Y was finished and being shipped to me vin# 39xxx. I made an appointment to pick it up Friday. I just thought that was awfully quick and it’s probably not the same car but what if?

Picking up my Y in few weeks. Looking at all these QC issues the past month. I've lost all my excitement, and starting to doubt my decision...
Same here. Trying to hold onto hope that the majority of these issues are the exception than the norm. The thing to keep in mind is to expect issues, but develop a list what is acceptable and not acceptable to myself. Got to remind myself it is just a car, and will get dinged and dirty from normal use.

Just curious but which Tesla delivery center did you deal with? We've seen a lot of complaints at our shops regarding the Los Angeles delivery and service centers versus the Orange County locations. I'm just wondering if it's a specific center or regional policy or anything else that may be affecting it. It probably won't do anything but there are people we can bug about this sort of thing. Nothing will change right away, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease eventually.

Mine are painted, VIN 26028 built July 12th and delivered on July 28th. My front bumper was damaged in transit and they ordered me a new one and there was a "chip" in the right front fender that was UNDER the clear coat so they sent it to the local authorized body shop who repainted the entire fender. It's now PERFECT.

The inconsistent nature of these problems tells me its

1. Human error and/or lack of training
2. No supervision and no QC policies/procedures in place

All of the defects in my Y should not have been allowed to leave the factory let alone allowing the SC to deliver it like that. My car was in the shop for 13 days getting all the defects fixed. But they did give me a loaner.

This looks like the back side of the front fenders area? If thats the case, mine are kind of painted, not too well, mostly what just got in there by accident I assume but I have seen this on lots of vehicles, not just tesla.
To return it or not depends on you. It looks bad and cheap but most likely will never be an issue. If the looks bad and cheap is too much for you to enjoy the car, then return it. I had planned to hit it with some black spray paint but I have already forgotten about it.
I think everyone is just working everyone else up into a frenzy so that all of a sudden stuff that doesnt really matter, starts being a big deal to more people than it really needs to be.
Not to defend Tesla though, they definitely need to fire their entire bodyshop and start over if they want to start winning over people who care more about the perfect alignment than the average techie who just wants a fast/fun/teched out electric car.