Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 120V EVSE shown at 3:34 in the video is the same J-1772 model supplied with the Plug in Prius, I know because I currently own a 2012 Plug in Prius... It's only capable of 12A 120V operation, unless you send it off to evseupgrade to be upgraded to handle 12A 240V operation (for $239)

EVSE Upgrade - Products

You can also just buy a standard wall mounted J-1772 EVSE. It's a bit disappointing they chose to only supply a 12A 120V EVSE, not a real "UMC" capable dual voltage portable EVSE, but it is a compliance car, with a 3 year 2,600 unit production #

This also makes me wonder what KW rating the onboard charger is now, if it was 10KW, you would think they should supply a more capable EVSE.

Mitch
Model S Reservation # P10010

It is the same 10kW charger as in the Model S. Yea, absolutely stupid move...it takes 44-50 hours to charge the Rav4 EV with the supplied portable charger.

It is the same 10kW charger as in the Model S. Yea, absolutely stupid move...it takes 44-50 hours to charge the Rav4 EV with the supplied portable charger.

Hi Evan,

Yes, they should have left the car as they were for the 30 or so demonstration vehicles, that is with the Tesla charging port and they should have furnished the J1772 adapter.

At about 1:33 minutes into the second video from the Hybridcars website Sheldon Brown discusses the Tesla charge port.

RAVA4 EV demo with Tesla charge port.jpg

Larry

The video also clearly shows a button style electronic shifter, but they ended up going with a Prius style shifter (probably another cost cutting move to use parts already in production). The good news is, you can replace that lever style shifter with one from "Stage 10", it has nice light up buttons, see pics on this PriusChat thread:
Stage 10 Electronic Shifter available now | Page 2 | PriusChat

I would have posted the Stage 10 website link, but it seems to be currently down.

It sure would have been smarter to just use the Tesla connector, and supply the J-1772 adapter, then perhaps Tesla would have had a second source for their connectors and HPWC and UMC2, certainly Toyota's mass production capabilities could have benefitted them in this case.

FYI, here is the link to the hybrid cars video reviews:
Toyota Videos Spread The Word On RAV4 EV | Hybrid Cars

It sure would have been smarter to just use the Tesla connector, and supply the J-1772 adapter, then perhaps Tesla would have had a second source for their connectors and HPWC and UMC2, certainly Toyota's mass production capabilities could have benefitted them in this case.

Apparently the Tesla UMC is not UL rated, that's the reason I was told that they didn't go that route and wouldn't recommend it for charging. I'm just the messenger...

Yes J1772 standard, and reported up to 10 Kw. That's 3.5 hours from empty.

I did a little more research. In the Toyota press release they state:

Toyota's approved electric vehicle supplier equipment provider is Leviton. Leviton offers multiple options for charging solutions. For the shortest charge time of approximately six hours, Leviton offers a custom 240V (Level 2), 40A, 9.6 kW output charging station. For more information visit Leviton.com/Toyota. The vehicle comes equipped with a 120V (Level 1) emergency charging cable for instances when the recommended 240V (Level 2) charging is not available.

Its not clear whether the this charging cable refered to in the press release is the same thing as the portable charger. If it is then they only way to charge is via a NEMA J-1772 charger such as the Leviton charger. If the portable charger is like Tesla's UMC and is capable of charging from 240 volt outlets, then it doesn't make sense to install the Leviton charger since its a lot cheaper to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet which would have just as much capacity and would charge just as fast.

Larry

Hi Evan,

I assume those 44-50 hours is based on Level I charging. Does that portable charger also handle 240 volts?

Larry

The 120V EVSE shown at 3:34 in the video is the same J-1772 model supplied with the Plug in Prius, I know because I currently own a 2012 Plug in Prius... It's only capable of 12A 120V operation, unless you send it off to evseupgrade to be upgraded to handle 12A 240V operation (for $239)
Mitch
Model S Reservation # P10010

Larry - According to what Mitch said here, if it is the same EVSE as the PIP, then it's only 120V (but could be upgradable by 3rd party solutions - Ingineer's EVSEupgrade program is pretty slick).

I would doubt that Toyota would supply a built in 240V solution, no mainstream car manufacturer to date has supplied a 240V solution AFAIK with the car, it's always been extra (Leaf, Volt, PIP). Not sure about the MIEV.

Last edited:
Larry - According to what Mitch said here, if it is the same EVSE as the PIP, then it's only 120V (but could be upgradable by 3rd party solutions - Ingineer's EVSEupgrade program is pretty slick).

I would doubt that Toyota would supply a built in 240V solution, no mainstream car manufacturer to date has supplied a 240V solution AFAIK with the car, it's always been extra (Leaf, Volt, PIP). Not sure about the MIEV.

Thanks. I should have read Mitch's post.

This just underlines how dubious Toyota's approach is to charging this car. The Plug in Prius approach is inappropriate to be applied to this car whose range is almost an order of magnitude greater than the PiP. I certainly hope that if Toyota decides to expand beyond a compliance car, that they will seriously revisit their approach to charging. I wonder whether it is even possible for Tesla to obtain UL certification of the UMC?

Larry

Thanks. I should have read Mitch's post.

This just underlines how dubious Toyota's approach is to charging this car. The Plug in Prius approach is inappropriate to be applied to this car whose range is almost an order of magnitude greater than the PiP. I certainly hope that if Toyota decides to expand beyond a compliance car, that they will seriously revisit their approach to charging. I wonder whether it is even possible for Tesla to obtain UL certification of the UMC?

Larry

Agreed. I think that the expectation of the owner is that they will be installing a 240V J1772 EVSE in their garage for home charging purposes, in the same way that Nissan partnered with Aeroviroment to supply the "official" charging solution. Given the low volume of units expected to be sold, it's quite possible that their strategy has not been thought through all the way as well. As for the UMC, no reason why Tesla couldn't submit it for UL certification, I suppose, but they may have figured that it wasn't worth the cost since Tesla customers aren't going to be shopping around for other solutions.