Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the video that vfx posted in post 692, the guy says that the Rav4EV has greater range than any other EV on the market. FAIL! He also says that it has greater utility. That would depend on whether the video was made before or after the Model S began being delivered. Toyota being Toyota, and with the Tesla drive train, I'm sure the Rav4EV will be a great car. But he had to know that the Roadster has more than double the range.

In the video that vfx posted in post 692, the guy says that the Rav4EV has greater range than any other EV on the market. FAIL! He also says that it has greater utility. That would depend on whether the video was made before or after the Model S began being delivered. Toyota being Toyota, and with the Tesla drive train, I'm sure the Rav4EV will be a great car. But he had to know that the Roadster has more than double the range.

Large companies only consider other large companies competition. The rest they ignore.

I just found out today that the maintenance on these is every 5k miles or every 6 months. Battery warranty is 100k miles or 96 months, bumper to bumper warranty 3 years or 36k miles. Power train warranty is 5 years or 60k miles. All of the above is whichever comes first. I can handle everything except the maintenance twice to three times a year, otherwise I would be taking delivery Sept. 24th.

Do they describe what the maintenance is, is it required, and is there a charge for it?

No, no and no. They did say that the vehicle has to be taken in to one of the 53 California dealers to be serviced.I explicitly asked about whether the car will be taken to Tesla in case of power train/battery work and got an "absolutely not, each of the 53 dealerships has someone qualified to work on the entire vehicle".

Just got notice that the Rav4 EV I ordered some time ago will delivered around the 25th. Looking forward to reporting on it when it arrives.
Financing options:
1. Lease $599 per month 36 month
2. 1.9% financing
I didn't realize you were in the market. Congrats, I can tell you from my couple of hours of driving it that I think you'll really enjoy the versatility and fun. Maybe not quite Model S speed, but it's still darn brisk and fun.

Well that doesn't seem so bad then, they just want to keep tabs on their new technology in real world use, at no extra cost to the owner.

Sorry, I typed that wrong(on slow phone connection). The maintenance is required, cost is up to the dealer(like leaf). Apparently there is no remote diagnostics like the model S, or they just want you to visit the dealer. The nice thing about the Rav 4 ev is you can just go buy one and get it this year. I found several available just calling around. Unfortunately there are no options and only 3 colors.

That is annoying then if you have to pay for "service" every 5K, when that "service" is probably just data gathering for them. Not exactly promoting the low maintenance angle for EV's. I wonder what happens if you refuse to bring it in, do they try to void your warranty, is that even legal?

Right, but my point is I don't believe you need to have any service done by a dealer to still be covered by a warranty. I don't think you even have to prove you changed your oil to still be covered, as long as there is oil in the car.
Google time: Auto Warranties, Routine Maintenance, and Repairs: Is Using the Dealer a Must?
In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.
So this isn't even a repair, but a "check up", so I'm pretty sure they could not void your warranty if you skipped it. Don't know for sure though, but I'd press the point with the dealer.

Though this seems contradictory:
Service your car at regular intervals. This is a good idea in any case. But for the sake of keeping your warranty intact, follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. Details are in your owner's manual.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess if they can blame a problem on a lack of service they can void your warranty, so failure to get a checkup might be used against you.
MAINTENANCE
You are responsible for performance of the required maintenance indicated in the Owner’s Manual and this booklet. Toyota will not deny a warranty claim solely because you do not have records to show that you maintained your vehicle. However, any failure or noncompliance caused by lack of maintenance is not covered by this warranty. When maintenance and repairs are paid for by you, these services may be performed by you or by any automotive service provider you choose. Toyota will not deny a warranty claim solely because you used a service provider other than a Toyota dealership for maintenance and repairs. However, any failure or noncompliance caused by improper maintenance or repairs is not covered by this warranty.
http://artsautomotive.com/publications/2-explanatory/169-the-warranty-myth

- - - Updated - - -

Presumably they have to tell you exactly what service or checks are required so you could potentially have them done elsewhere or do them yourself, which is probably unlikely with an EV at this time.

Last edited: