Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the RAV4EV come with adapters so it can charge at Tesla charging stations? (Roadster & Model S ?)

Sort-of the inverse of this Model S to J1772:
attachment.php?attachmentid=8487&d=1344045135&thumb=1.jpg

The comments from the Toyota engineers about the Tesla engineers, in the video, are amazing! If the wall street guys watched that video, it would turn some heads about the prospects of Tesla generally. It is very hard to get any engineers over the "Not Invented Here" barrier, to do that, and them have them say it on camera is quite stunning.

The comments from the Toyota engineers about the Tesla engineers, in the video, are amazing! If the wall street guys watched that video, it would turn some heads about the prospects of Tesla generally. It is very hard to get any engineers over the "Not Invented Here" barrier, to do that, and them have them say it on camera is quite stunning.

Yes, I agree that video was very impressive in demonstrating the power of effective collaboration. It makes me recollect that offhand remark that Elon made about a potential billion dollar deal with Toyota when he first announced the agreement. It looks like the RAVA4 EV is starting to get excellent reviews. That potential deal would look a lot more likely if Toyota hadn't taken the conservative approach to start off with a compliance vehicle. I hope the good reviews induce them to shift to a more aggressive multi-state roll-out. A ramp up in production might permit a slight reduction in pricing.

Larry

That potential deal would look a lot more likely if Toyota hadn't taken the conservative approach to start off with a compliance vehicle. I hope the good reviews induce them to shift to a more aggressive multi-state roll-out.

My belief is that if Toyota can get the California EV law repealed, they'll take the RAV4-EV off the streets as fast as they can--just like the last time.

Great video (even with the false claim of "more range than any other EV"). The RAV looks like quite the awesome EV. I wish it was available nationwide, and in other countries as well.

GSP

PS. I really like the sport mode, the "charge by departure time" option, all the passenger and cargo space, the triple digit range, the UMC-like EVSE (lying in the trunk), the LED lighting, the seat fabric, the.......

Last edited by a moderator:
[snip] ...the UMC-like EVSE (lying in the trunk)

The 120V EVSE shown at 3:34 in the video is the same J-1772 model supplied with the Plug in Prius, I know because I currently own a 2012 Plug in Prius... It's only capable of 12A 120V operation, unless you send it off to evseupgrade to be upgraded to handle 12A 240V operation (for $239)

EVSE Upgrade - Products

You can also just buy a standard wall mounted J-1772 EVSE. It's a bit disappointing they chose to only supply a 12A 120V EVSE, not a real "UMC" capable dual voltage portable EVSE, but it is a compliance car, with a 3 year 2,600 unit production #

This also makes me wonder what KW rating the onboard charger is now, if it was 10KW, you would think they should supply a more capable EVSE.

Mitch
Model S Reservation # P10010