Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The number of used Tesla 3/Y available is staggering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put a mark on the wall by the driver's side window and you'll be able to stop perfectly every time. :)

BTW, the USS sensors are useless for most curbs...

Why not go back to hanging a tennis ball from the ceiling?

Needing to mark a wall.. as a parking assistant for any 2023 model-year vehicle is just utterly ridiculous. Even more so on a vehicle advertised with advanced self-driving technology.

Why not go back to hanging a tennis ball from the ceiling?

Needing to mark a wall.. as a parking assistant for any 2023 model-year vehicle is just utterly ridiculous. Even more so on a vehicle advertised with advanced self-driving technology.
I’m all about the tennis ball! The same tennis ball is on third generation of cars now (current M3). It gives the same exact stopping spot so I have a consistently adequate amount of space to walk around the vehicle. We have a 1950’s rambler with a relatively small garage, so inches count! 🎾

Reactions: Dennisis and DrGriz
I’m all about the tennis ball! The same tennis ball is on third generation of cars now (current M3). It gives the same exact stopping spot so I have a consistently adequate amount of space to walk around the vehicle. We have a 1950’s rambler with a relatively small garage, so inches count! 🎾
Haha, I thought the same thing! I love the tennis ball and still use it. I find the USS on my ICE and MY useless and inaccurate.

Haha, I thought the same thing! I love the tennis ball and still use it. I find the USS on my ICE and MY useless and inaccurate.
USS is borderline useless but better than nothing without a 360 camera. I’m renting a loaded Polestar 2 this week and the 360 camera is even better than the Mach-Es. It triggers at low speed when inching forward or backwards.

I put 360 camera as high/useful as phone as a key. Would I want a Tesla without phone as key? Not really. Hundreds of millions of cars don’t have it… but doesn’t mean it’s not useful and very desirable.

Reactions: Hiline
What issue? any reported death, accidents, critical errors due to lack of USS or vision only? non USS cars are just being delivered to the customers, and no one knows how bad or good or same they are.
My husband would have no issue. My spatial judgment is nowhere near as good as his. With the MY with the distance info, I had no issues, which was a first. The Corvette lives in the garage with the motorcycles on either side. He moves that car. It would get destroyed if I did it. Rumor has it men have better spatial awareness compared to women.

I find USS extremely helpful for maneuvering my car around others in a tight parking lot. The distance measurements are fantastic.

Would I be able to wiggle my car out of tight parking spots without USS? Yes, but for how much I paid for a car, I'd rather have the convenience.

Yeah, I dont understand how anyone could call this feature useless. It was/is still one of the best features of the car. My garage is 19x19 interior and fitting two cars plus all the other normal stuff (lawnmower, bikes, tool chest, pressure washer, etc) in there requires quite a bit of skill. Not only do I use the USS every time to get the car absolutely as close as possible to the wall/door.. but they are incredibly helpful in many other similar situations where things are tight.

I wouldn't call it a necessary feature. But it's definitely one I love & use daily. If I had the choice between identical vehicles with USS or without.. not only would I could the USS version.. but I would pay more for it.

360 camera is far better than USS. I love it on various other EVs where it triggers at low speeds and I can see exactly what is around me and how close it is. It’s fantastic on the Mach-E, Polestar, and most Kia vehicles with it installed.

USS is a last resort safety net and it was okay with the last 6 months of Tesla software updates where it would trigger the top down view.

360 camera is far better than USS. I love it on various other EVs where it triggers at low speeds and I can see exactly what is around me and how close it is. It’s fantastic on the Mach-E, Polestar, and most Kia vehicles with it installed.

USS is a last resort safety net and it was okay with the last 6 months of Tesla software updates where it would trigger the top down view.
Unfortunately, I have almost zero experience with 360 cameras. While I know people love it and it's extremely popular on bigger/luxury vehicles.. the reality is after 2018 I just haven't driven many new vehicles. 2018 was the last time I went car shopping.. and I test-drove everything possible (including a Model 3).. but my price range was $30-40K and practically nothing came with a 360 camera for that little money in 20218. Fast forward 3 years later.. and the 2021 purchase I made with the Model Y was pure instinct: I did the test drive.. got a trade-in quote immediately afterward.. ordered an inventory vehicle and took delivery of that car in Chicago (800 miles away) all within the same week lol.

So outside of driving a cheap rental car here or there.. and with COVID shutting down things in 2020 and 2021.. there just haven't been many opportunities for me to sit in something else. I did attend the DC Auto show earlier this year in February and was able to see vehicles like the Ioniq5, Ariya, and even the Subaru Solterra. But many of the absolutely newest vehicles were locked. And even if you could get inside and play with everything, it just never occurred to me to try the cameras. Thats if the camera even works when the vehicle is parked. The good thing is DC Auto show is back again next month.. so I'll be sure to take a list of things to try!

Yeah, I dont understand how anyone could call this feature useless. It was/is still one of the best features of the car. My garage is 19x19 interior and fitting two cars plus all the other normal stuff (lawnmower, bikes, tool chest, pressure washer, etc) in there requires quite a bit of skill. Not only do I use the USS every time to get the car absolutely as close as possible to the wall/door.. but they are incredibly helpful in many other similar situations where things are tight.

I wouldn't call it a necessary feature. But it's definitely one I love & use daily. If I had the choice between identical vehicles with USS or without.. not only would I could the USS version.. but I would pay more for it.
It cannot detect curbs or skinny poles. It gives a false sense of confidence and can lead to accidents. That is why I think it's useless and needs to be replaced (industry-wide) by something better.

It cannot detect curbs or skinny poles. It gives a false sense of confidence and can lead to accidents. That is why I think it's useless and needs to be replaced (industry-wide) by something better.
Personally I always found it confusing when I drove a Model S on a test drive a couple of years back because they would constantly be going off on the screen when I was just driving down the road with nothing around me.