Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The one thing keeping me from ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is going to sound ridiculous to a lot (probably most) of you, and I understand that. I would love to hear from people that feel like I do.

A sunroof is one of my favorite things about a car. 3 cars in about 15 years, I've always had one and always used it incessantly. I love getting some air to circulate without it blowing in my face, love the sun shining down on me, etc. I freaking love sunroofs.

Now, for those of you that were like me before getting a Y...

How bad do you miss it?

Have you gotten over it, or do you still miss it/wish the car had the option to come with one?

Thank you!
We are sunroof people. Usually an absolute requirement. Like a fireplace or a hot tub in a house, it's a deal breaker.

We just drive with all the windows down whenever possible, put them up a bit in a bad cross wind.

The all glass roof makes up for it. It's amazing.

Reactions: Big Earl
I feel similar to OP - most of my past cars have had a moon or sunroof. And I was kind of bummed that I'd be giving that up. But TBH, I haven't really missed it that much. There are so many other cool things about the car, and frankly, the glass roof is really great and a real 'wow' feature when other people ride in the car!

Reactions: Big Earl
Every car I've owned (4 before the MYP) has had a moonroof. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've opened it, and they all might have been on my first car. I do like being able to see the sky in the car, so the glass roof on the MYP to me is much superior to the "port" I had with the moonroof cars.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Thanks everybody! Yeah I wanted to hear from those people that LOVED their sunroofs in previous cars bc that's the boat i'm in. Totally understand that most ppl have them any never use them. Seems like for those that loved them, they get used to not having one and the glass roof helps a bunch. I think I will still miss it for sure, but starting to feel like it shouldn't be a dealbreaker for me, and I should just save up to get a vintage porsche or alpha convertible one day so I can bask in sunny windy glory. the perfect yin to my tesla yang :D

Reactions: OxBrew
Thanks everybody! Yeah I wanted to hear from those people that LOVED their sunroofs in previous cars bc that's the boat i'm in. Totally understand that most ppl have them any never use them. Seems like for those that loved them, they get used to not having one and the glass roof helps a bunch. I think I will still miss it for sure, but starting to feel like it shouldn't be a dealbreaker for me, and I should just save up to get a vintage porsche or alpha convertible one day so I can bask in sunny windy glory. the perfect yin to my tesla yang :D
Yes! For me, I'm planning to find a vintage BMW 2002 with a sunroof, like the one I had 21 years, 5 months and 12 days ago (wish I kept that one).

We drove that all over the west, SF to Montana, Santa Fe, Seattle, everywhere in between. Sunroof open, windows down the whole time.

But we'll hardly drive it, the Y is so freaking amazing, I'm going to take a lunch break and take a nap staring at the sky.

My sunroof fix is taken care of by my MGB....

Attachments

• IMG_2437.JPEG
    IMG_2437.JPEG
    67.3 KB · Views: 69
This is going to sound ridiculous to a lot (probably most) of you, and I understand that. I would love to hear from people that feel like I do.

A sunroof is one of my favorite things about a car. 3 cars in about 15 years, I've always had one and always used it incessantly. I love getting some air to circulate without it blowing in my face, love the sun shining down on me, etc. I freaking love sunroofs.

Now, for those of you that were like me before getting a Y...

How bad do you miss it?

Have you gotten over it, or do you still miss it/wish the car had the option to come with one?

Thank you!

It's very easy to look at the sunroof and think "how will I live without the sunroof". I kind of thought the same. One month into owning my Model Y my wife and I were going to meet friends dinner at a place that was about 40 min away. I drove her BMW X3 and this is what I felt...

... what do you mean we have to stop and get gas?
... why doesn't the car slow down when I take my foot off the accelerator?
... I really miss the one pedal driving
... unexpected lag after hitting the accelerator to merge into traffic
... the MY feels so much smoother (because there's no running through gears in transmission)
... the MY seats are so much more comfortable

Those were my actual thoughts while driving. Beyond that, the best answer I can give to your questions is that by not having a Tesla yet you don't know what you will love about it. Trust me, the lack of an opening sunroof will be something you laugh about when looking back (assuming you end up ordering). Not speaking as a fanboy here, because I'm still a member in the BMWCCA (BMW Car Club of America). Love all kinds of vehicles. Always have. My MY is just in a different class. I'll never go back.

EDIT: After thinking for a bit, I have a solution. Suction cup a battery powered fan to the Tesla sunroof to blow air at your head. It will feel the same.

My sunroof fix is taken care of by my MGB....
Your hearing loss is also taken care of:)

Seriously cool car though, I "liberated" my sisters 67 MGB back in high school a few dozen times, while she went off on a backpacking trip to Europe. Did not realize first gear was non-synchro, and after 3 months of smashing it unwillingly into first while it was still rolling, had to compensate her for the over $1k repair bill at the time.

The glass roof on the Y is so huge and the car very spacious/open. Other vehicles equipped with a sunroof will feel claustrophobic by comparison.

...The glass roof on the Y is so huge and the car very spacious/open. Other vehicles equipped with a sunroof will feel claustrophobic by comparison.
This is a really good point. I think a big reason I normally like a sunroof is most cars have low padded roofs that feel cramped. The open, tall roof of the Y is more like an open atrium, really feels spacious, especially in the back seats.

Add me to the list of having a sunroof in every one of my past 10 vehicles. Heck, I even only chose vehicles with a trim that included a sunroof. For me I probably actually opened it on average about 3 times a year before quickly getting annoyed that the hot sun is beaming directly onto my face or fearful that a bird will poop into my car while driving. I much more often just opened the shade to have some sunlight into the car. It's one of those personal preference things however.

I always found funny that convertibles cars have air conditioning ... because most of the time when it is sunny it's nicer to have the top on and the AC running !!!
Well, in the summer when it's hot outside I still like to have the windows down and I use the AC at the same time so I don't feel too hot. Some waste of energy but it brings me joy to have my last few hairs moving in the wind :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: avs007
I either want no roof (convertible, or roadster) or a solid roof (steel, aluminum, Carbon Fiber)... I hate having a glass roof. It has the disadvantage of a convertible without the advantage.

Keith

PS: This preference obviously wasn't enough to be a deal breaker for me, still got the MYP.

Last edited:
Five out of seven cars for me had some kind of roof that opens.

Accord, Accord, Civic, S2000, Wrangler.

In there I also had a Civic Hybrid that didn't have a.moonroof and now my Model Y.

I miss the convertible, often. I very mildly miss sunroofs and moonroofs. I wouldn't let it prevent me from buying the car again.

I got the Y and I am so in love. Huge upgrade from a 12 year old Prius with 120k miles... BONKERS upgrade.

Do I miss the sunroof that opens? Yes, absolutely. I miss it a lot. I'm just that kinda guy that really loves some direct sunshine and open air coming in from the top.

Does the rest of the magnificent car make up for it.

YES, ABSOLUTELY!