Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Perfect Tesla Raffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, @woof!

Do you have an opinion about whether it's cool to post a raffle on the BMW "official" forum, especially with Grand Prize a Tesla rather than a BMW? Obviously, the carbon pricing thing transcends any particular BEV or even ICE manufacturer.

Thanks,
Alan

It seems to have sparked interest in the Nissan Leaf forum, so I'm sure it would be welcome in the i3/i8 forums as well. I think most EV enthusiasts (anyone who frequents a EV forum must be one) are very receptive to the Tesla brand as well as the carbon pricing initiative. Also as a side note almost everyone I've encountered who purchased a Leaf, Rav4ev, Benz Bev, Smart ED, Volt or Ford Focus EV did so because they could not afford to purchase a Tesla. There are always a few exceptions, but seems like the majority like Tesla and are awaiting the Model 3, so I would not worry about posting about a raffle for a Tesla in any EV forum.

+1^ BMW enthusiasts would love a Tesla IMO, and carbon fiber body panels are a good use of carbon.

Alan, a while back you were unsure whether to add a ticket counter to the raffle. I think it would help.
People want to know.
Thanks to social media, we've figured it out anyway, so might as well, to make that information universally available.
If the count is low, people will buy in for the better odds.
If the count is high, people will buy in so as not to miss the chance.

I sent the link to a good friend of mine in Wellesley who owns the VW BEV and loves it. He's also an environmentalist. He also covets my Model S. He bought a ticket. I hope he wins, because he's the perfect (IMHO) example of someone who has been an environmentalist for decades, lives in MA so already knows about these issues, already owns an EV (but really really wants a Tesla) but can't afford it just yet, and he's an overall really great guy.

@palmer_md, @DNAinaGoodWay - thanks for forum suggestions.

@DNAinaGoodWay, @boofagle - I'm entertaining the counter idea. Others have requested it, too. One thing I've noticed: I haven't been able to find another raffle that publishes a running counter, or even provides occasional updates on tickets sold. Do you have any examples of such? Counterpoint: I've gone as far as I know how to make all rules, regulations, operation, etc., of the raffle transparent. One could argue that the ticket counter would fit that rubric.

@HankLloydRight - would you mind PM'ing me the name of your Wellesley VW BEV friend? I wonder if Jessica or I know him. If not, maybe we should.

@DNAinaGoodWay - I've pulled up the GM Volt thread and see the interesting discussion going on. I'll try to jump in tomorrow, but too tired tonight to create an account there and engage.

Thanks, all,
Alan

I have no examples of such, but then, I have no other examples of a raffle that pays the taxes either. Your raffle is extraordinary. I suggest it will help sales, and I don't see a down side. People engaged in these forums already are self tracking it, it would only be making that information available to people who come to the raffle page from some other direction.

I've contacted my state senator in support of the bill. Would be nice to leave our descendants an Earth that isn't scorched.

@HankLloydRight - would you mind PM'ing me the name of your Wellesley VW BEV friend? I wonder if Jessica or I know him. If not, maybe we should.

I was telling my g/f last night about the raffle just as talk over dinner. I really did not expect it -- but she's really interested now in getting a ticket so she can win her own Model S!! She said "the neighbors are really going to hate us now with two Tesla's!" and "It's better than giving money to politicians!".. So standby Alan -- I may have sold another ticket for you.

I was telling my g/f last night about the raffle just as talk over dinner. I really did not expect it -- but she's really interested now in getting a ticket so she can win her own Model S!! She said "the neighbors are really going to hate us now with two Tesla's!" and "It's better than giving money to politicians!".. So standby Alan -- I may have sold another ticket for you.

@Pollux - implement a referral program! :)

Speaking of the referral program, it's an unfortunate coincidence that both your raffle, and Tesla's referral program, end on the same day. Otherwise the winner could use a referral code and add $1000 worth of options to their free Tesla. (Or could the winner potentially lock in a referral credit before midnight?)

Speaking of the referral program, it's an unfortunate coincidence that both your raffle, and Tesla's referral program, end on the same day. Otherwise the winner could use a referral code and add $1000 worth of options to their free Tesla. (Or could the winner potentially lock in a referral credit before midnight?)

I believe the "clock" is on Pacific time, so that might give the winner a few extra hours to order and put down a deposit to get the $1000 referral discount.

Way behind with responding to people on this thread, you all have me running very hard now, which I guess is a good thing... :) I'll try to catch up later today.

But I couldn't resist immediately responding to this referral notion... what an interesting idea... I just made the raffle attorney's head explode again yesterday, now I have new material to make his head explode again today... When I first engaged his services this summer, I chose him because he was the only attorney I could find in two months who was willing to actually learn this area of law and give counsel. Turns out it's a boring area of law, nothing happens, the law is the law, the MA AG's regulations are the regulations, it's all Rotary and Elks and churches and other nonprofits doing the same raffle they've been doing for the past 30 years. By September, what with all the new stuff I'd pushed into the raffle -- build-to-order! can't get the car for weeks or months! fees & taxes! web pages! e-mail tickets! what about Canada? Europe? I could go on -- the poor man finally said, "well... maybe this area of law isn't as settled as people think..." :)

OK, so now we'll talk about referral codes...! :) :) :)

Oh, and before you think this is a no-brainer... what if someone wins who doesn't have a referral code? Does that person get mine? @shelbri's wife's? What about all the people whose referral code could have been used and then will sue Climate XChange in a fit of madness? Does the referral code imply an additional taxable benefit for the winner? Does CXC have to pay taxes on that benefit? And that's just 10 seconds outta *my* brain, wait until the attorney gets hold of it...

I love the idea, will see what can be done about it.

My wife bought me my Tesla so the referral ID is under her name. Anyone know if there would be an issue if I use her referral code to buy the car when I win this raffle?

Another tax/legal question. I think I read that the awarding of the prize for the winner's tax purposes is in 2015? So the filing of the tax paperwork for the raffle winnings applies to 2015, but since the purchase won't be able to be started until 2016 I assume the federal tax rebate of $7500 provided you are eligible would apply to 2016? How can you "award" the prize in 2015 when the drawing is a couple hours before midnight after business hours? Or did it read it incorrectly and everything for tax purposes will take place in 2016?

Hi, @Canuck,

Yes, British Columbia has been an inspiring example for Climate XChange and others in the MA carbon pricing movement. Climate XChange hosted a visiting delegation from BC a while back -- government officials and business types -- who engaged in meetings at the State House and at MIT. Jessica and @PeterK even chauffeured some of the guests in their Teslas. :)

As for unpopular... while I conceded your point is valid, I think in MA we may be able to implement carbon pricing without costing a single politician his job. The bill to do so already has 40+ cosponsors, which is a very large number for a bill at this stage of the game. I don't think we can build a strategy that requires many (any?) politicians to sacrifice their jobs; as you say, most wouldn't be willing to do so. But when we start to get significant numbers of people speaking out in favor of carbon pricing, the game changes.

I have to say, we are particularly grateful to the people and government of British Columbia for starting down this path a few years ago. It is one of the examples that is critical to making the case for doing the same here in Massachusetts.

Alan

Good idea on the raffle to raise awareness. When the carbon tax was first debated and brought into force in BC many were against it. It was also brought in by a Liberal government (this may sound odd, but in BC the Liberal government is the right/conservative party and the NDP (New Democratic Party) is the left/liberal party). So it was brought in by the right leaning party -- which in itself is unusual. I don't think the left leaning party could have brought it in because of their ties to unions/labour groups who generally oppose environmental legislation at the expense of jobs -- not that this policy had that effect.

I note that your webpage uses our policy to answer the question:

Are there successful models of climate fees in action:

Yes. Countries and localities around the world use carbon pricing to cut pollution and improve local economies. Most experts consider British Columbia’s policy a stellar example of an effective economy-wide carbon pricing policy. In 2008, the province became the first place in North America to adopt a carbon fee and rebate system. Read more about it here.

This is what it will take in jurisdictions all over the world to see real change. It was a bold move by our Provincial government, and extremely unpopular (to say the least, especially in rural towns) but it takes bold moves by governments to make real changes. Electoral pandering doesn't bring about real change. I note that in Australia Prime Minister John Howard sacrificed his career to bring in gun control, opposed by about the same percentage as you'd see in America, but few in Australia are arguing with the results many years later:

Australia's gun-control solution - Business Insider

How many politicians would sacrifice their career for the good of the people? Practically none, if you ask me.

We were told the Liberal government would lose the last election over such things as the carbon tax and the HST (harmonized sales tax). The polls had them losing severely to the NDP. However, the polls were wrong and to everyone's surprise they won:

Why were polls so wrong about the B.C. election? - British Columbia - CBC News

Nevertheless, it will not be an easy task to bring this tax into force in other jurisdictions. It will take a government willing to sacrifice itself to do so, and that's extremely rare these days.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best on your mission.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, @DNAinaGoodWay,

Which state senator did you engage with?

Thanks,
Alan

I have no examples of such, but then, I have no other examples of a raffle that pays the taxes either. Your raffle is extraordinary. I suggest it will help sales, and I don't see a down side. People engaged in these forums already are self tracking it, it would only be making that information available to people who come to the raffle page from some other direction.

I've contacted my state senator in support of the bill. Would be nice to leave our descendants an Earth that isn't scorched.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, @HankLloydRight,

Forgive my poor memory, especially for the hectic evening involved, but did I meet your girlfriend at the Sep 26 CXC Carbon Pricing Awareness Event / Tesla Enthusiast Mega-Bash?

In any case, please let her know that as of now I love her as passionately as I possibly can without getting myself into trouble with either you or my wife! :)

- - - Updated - - -

OK, the referral program.

The attorney and I had a real good time batting this one around today. In short: can of worms! Not touching it with a 10-foot pole!

If anyone wants to try to do something with a referral in that few-hour gap between the announcement of the raffle winner and the ending of the referral program, that's their business. They'll have to be prepared to configure and execute their order with their own money for the deposit, as CXC won't actually dispense funds until the following week. We don't make any recommendation that you do so nor do we recommend that you not do so. Because CXC has nothing to do with the Tesla referral program, there will be no impact on our already-stated Grand Prize, including its tax component; and no change to language on the website. Also, because we are not involved with this referral program in any way, we have no requirement to inform existing or future ticket holders. Again... and I really can't stress this too much... anything about the referral program is totally up to pretty much anyone else in the world except Climate XChange and its raffle.

Alan

P.S. Sorry @EdA, @trils0n, @HankLloydRight, @shelbri.

@Pollux - implement a referral program! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, @kf93 & @DNAinaGoodWay,

As part of our discussion earlier today re two other issues (Grand Prize Winner configuring a cheaper Tesla, CPO or inventory car and referral program), the raffle attorney and I agreed that the website could be more clear on the precise award logistics. Settling on the exact language (which may turn out to be very brief) is going to take a few business days. Raffle end date and time and drawing remain unaffected. Please stay tuned.

Alan

Hi Alan,

My Senator is Michael Moore, but he hasn't responded to my email. Is he friend or foe or on the fence? I could call him tomorrow, if persistence would be useful. The bill is in committee now?

I found this link on carbon pricing: Carbon Fee and Dividend - Citizens Climate Lobby

I'm still learning it, but if I understand the basics, a fee is charged to the original sellers of carbon fuels, and increases every year to a set point. That money is distributed to everybody, equally, and as the fees rise, so do the rebates. So, your incentive is to keep more of the rebate by using less carbon fuels.

Seems those of us with solar and EVs and Mass Saved houses will be ahead of the curve. My wife is lobbying hard for a geothermal heat pump system to get the house off of oil, so now I have to go research that. If anybody has a good link to share, please do.