Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Performance Upgrade Package Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point is that Tesla won’t limit it to P3D+, beacause that’s not the guys who will be spanking BMW M3s at the track. Instead, it’ll be the guys who put aftermarket bits on their P3D-s ala Mountain Pass who get the highest performance. Tesla knows this. Look at all the favorable press they got from a tuned, aftermarket RWD car! Imagine what a tuned P3D car would do!
Wait, what? A Tesla Model 3 time attack car? Is that a thing??

My point is that Tesla won’t limit it to P3D+, beacause that’s not the guys who will be spanking BMW M3s at the track. Instead, it’ll be the guys who put aftermarket bits on their P3D-s ala Mountain Pass who get the highest performance.

And why couldn't someone with a P3D+ put aftermarket bits on their car and spank some BMW M3s at the track? (Especially with the track mode that the P3D- might not get.)

Or are you saying that the Mountain Pass stability control defeat module is going to be better than Tesla's track mode?

My point is that Tesla won’t limit it to P3D+, beacause that’s not the guys who will be spanking BMW M3s at the track. Instead, it’ll be the guys who put aftermarket bits on their P3D-s ala Mountain Pass who get the highest performance. Tesla knows this. Look at all the favorable press they got from a tuned, aftermarket RWD car! Imagine what a tuned P3D car would do!
Wait, what? A Tesla Model 3 time attack car? Is that a thing??

Agreed, P+ is just for the extra bells and whistles "out of the box". Nothing more, nothing less. Happily paid for the P+, but I don't expect anything beyond what's included in hardware. Track will probably be exclusive to 3P, but not P+.

Of course someone with a P3D+ could put aftermarket bits on their car, but why pay $5K for Tesla performance parts only to pull them off and replace with other performance parts? Same is true with BMW. The fastest M3 cars came as Base, then were built up with better track parts. Tesla sees this.

None of use know for certain what Tesla will do. But they're usually smart people and it would be silly to hinder those who will seek the greatest performance gain at the track by not offering a track mode to them. It's software. Costs them nothing to give it to P3D- and arguably, that group will be the one's garnering the most favorable press for the brand.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
That seems silly. Why not just run 19’s on entire car?
Running 19"'s all around is definitely better. I was mostly joking. I would only even consider it for the winter to help a little with range.

Also, I ordered the P3D+, because the brake calipers are better, disks are better, pads can be upgraded, and the shocks and springs can be upgraded. And, I really really want the track mode. I'm not a big fan of the 20" wheels, but figure I can probably sell them to someone who is interested. I'm likely to get my car just before winter. So, I"ll need a set of winter wheels and tires nearly immediately.

Most people that buy BMW M cars never track them. Those that buy M cars with carbon ceramic brakes certainly dont track 90% of the time due to cost, not the same here. I would buy another base M3 and load it up myself before spending money on a competition package from them.

I like the better brakes though Tesla is offering.

Running 19"'s all around is definitely better. I was mostly joking. I would only even consider it for the winter to help a little with range.

Also, I ordered the P3D+, because the brake calipers are better, disks are better, pads can be upgraded, and the shocks and springs can be upgraded. And, I really really want the track mode. I'm not a big fan of the 20" wheels, but figure I can probably sell them to someone who is interested. I'm likely to get my car just before winter. So, I"ll need a set of winter wheels and tires nearly immediately.

Seems like the Q3/Q4 timing of the P deliveries is going to sell a lot more winter wheel packages.