Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The real reason for scrapping ventilated seats!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

buttershrimp

Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode
Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2017
ATX
Any fellow conspiracy theorists out there?

Just wondering if the fact that the ventilated seats several months ago was really just Tesla's way of getting ready to move to all vegan interiors? I assume that for all it's merits, perforated synthetic leather isn't as durable?

1. I've heard of a few issues where the perforated seats tear between holes (as though the perforations cause a weakness in the material causing them to tear more easily?).
2. The ventilation is useless - I'm convinced it's a placebo affect. Turn on the ventilation and you say, "gosh my back feels cool" only to look down and realize you didn't actually turn it on. I've experimented numerous times and believe there is a fan (I can hear it) but there is little/no ventilation occurring.

I don't understand the supposed conspiracy theory. Aren't the "vegan" and the perforated seats both made of the same synthetic material? If so, how does offering and then withdrawing the perforated seats serve as the prelude to going all "vegan"?

2. The ventilation is useless - I'm convinced it's a placebo affect. Turn on the ventilation and you say, "gosh my back feels cool" only to look down and realize you didn't actually turn it on. I've experimented numerous times and believe there is a fan (I can hear it) but there is little/no ventilation occurring.
I believe perforated seats (even non-ventilated) provide a bit of cooling effect just from the holes allowing some "breathing". So the effect simply may be from the seats being perforated.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
I don't understand the supposed conspiracy theory. Aren't the "vegan" and the perforated seats both made of the same synthetic material? If so, how does offering and then withdrawing the perforated seats serve as the prelude to going all "vegan"?
I have perforated full leather seats (black) - at the time they were still making perforated seats the only vegan option was Ultra White.

Reactions: Mobius484
The ventilation is useless - I'm convinced it's a placebo affect. Turn on the ventilation and you say, "gosh my back feels cool" only to look down and realize you didn't actually turn it on.

My sweaty vs non-sweaty back and legs when the system is on vs off disagree with your assessment that it's a placebo effect.

I believe perforated seats (even non-ventilated) provide a bit of cooling effect just from the holes allowing some "breathing". So the effect simply may be from the seats being perforated.

My perforated seats do not keep my back from sweating if the fans are off - they do if the fans are on.

My sweaty vs non-sweaty back and legs when the system is on vs off disagree with your assessment that it's a placebo effect.

My perforated seats do not keep my back from sweating if the fans are off - they do if the fans are on.
Good to know... I'll add this in to my next service appointment as I'm feeling nothing despite every effort to tell myself I'm feeling something :).

Good to know... I'll add this in to my next service appointment as I'm feeling nothing despite every effort to tell myself I'm feeling something :).
But that's the thing - you DON'T feel anything unless you're so hot you're sweating (at least I don't). There are some cars with ventilation systems that actively chill the air and blow it on your skin - Tesla does not do that. Teslas just draws cabin air away/across from you (vacuum system) - this in theory lowers the vapor pressure of the atmosphere right at the vent holes and encourages evaporation from your fabric (wicking effect) shirt/pants before it accumulates in your clothing to the point of feeling damp. To successfully keep myself from sweating on these hot days I have to use setting 3 or at a minimum 2. But you're never going to get that "wow my butt feels cold" sensation of something that chills the air itself and blows it on you.

@3s-a-charm - to finish that thought - I use it in Wisconsin only on very hot summer days. When I am back in Los Angeles the weather is hot enough that it's useful almost every day for at least 3-4 months a year. In fall/winter/spring the leather doesn't get warm enough for me to notice any sensation except fan speed 3 - in which case I noticed that after a while my thighs felt uncomfortably cool (this was in weather still needing me to use the heater in the car to stay warm). Maybe that part is placebo like you said - but I can't explain away the lack of sweat on hot days when I use fan level 3.

To date, I've yet to feel a cooled seat that actually performed as advertised. At best they made noise but had almost no affect. And this was in nice cars too. M5, FX35, 550i, 535D, A8L, etc. They're as gimmicky as most car's massage features. Except for the 2011+ A8's massage features which are amazing but I digress.

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
I got the ventilated seats on my S75 in December 2016, and I believe it makes a small difference. In my case, the original driver's seat was replaced, and the new seat is weaker than the passenger seat, where it is quite noticeable. So it may vary a lot with the specific seat. I definitely like it to reduce sweat and make things slightly more comfortable with less AC. I'm glad I got them, except the little holes are awful to clean (black seats).

I have perforated leather seats in my 2008 Prius, and they are still in perfect condition. That leather also feels a lot thinner, but who knows.

To date, I've yet to feel a cooled seat that actually performed as advertised. At best they made noise but had almost no affect. And this was in nice cars too. M5, FX35, 550i, 535D, A8L, etc. They're as gimmicky as most car's massage features. Except for the 2011+ A8's massage features which are amazing but I digress.
Lexus ES 350 hybrid cooled seats are legit. Night and day difference.

Reactions: beachmiles and DIL
I've got the ventilated seats and there is a difference.

Whether that's worth the wrinkling in the leather or pleather or whatever it is (tan seats) is as yet unclear, but they do improve comfort.

What would be nice someday and especially for long drives would be massaging seats. Thought about adding one of those massaging chair inserts except then I lose the ventilation. First world problems.

Could always add one of those wooden roller ball/bead inserts - for that extra classy look.