Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Republican War On Science

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is my point though, the more effort you put in to change a denialists opinion, the more entrenched it becomes.

Scientific debate is one thing, rejection of science is another. Some people believe the Earth is flat, others that the moon is made of cheese, others that Obama is a Muslim, and still others that climate change is a Chinese conspiracy to take over the US. <<<< shrug >>>>

I don't watch her show but this bit seems to prove your point:

Last edited:
I just get all pissed off about this stuff, because I could see myself siding with some conservatives and some conservative values. People like John Kasich who seem reasonable, honest, respectful, and who won't turn a blind eye to things like climate change because it's ideologically inconvenient or conflicts with their money tree.

But who do we get instead as an option? Donald Trump, who in many ways represents the worst of us (at first his running seemed like nothing more than a good joke for comedians; the fact that he has made it to be the GOP nominee quite frankly scares me -- not just that he is the nominee, but that so many Americans have actually been supportive of him). And you can't safely vote 3rd party because of our broken first past the post voting system. There's no choice. The Republican party is forcing me to consistently vote for Democrats. And this is the worst year yet, with the nominee bringing credibility to the claim that Republicans might actually be the racist, sexist, a holes they are sometimes stereotyped as.

So, what to make of Republicans claiming that the National Weather Service is lying about hurricane strength to support the theory of climate change? Are they going to say physicists have been lying about the speed of light to denigrate the 6000 year old universe theory?

Mat Drudge: "The deplorables, are starting to wonder if [the government] has been lying to them about Hurricane Matthew intensity to make exaggerated point on climate."

Some facts.

There are about 174,000 full time jobs in the coal sector. 83K in mining, 31K in transportation and 60K in power plants. Those numbers are declining.

As of last year, there are about 209K employed in solar, of which 188K are jobs that are 100% dedicated to solar. 120K are installers. The installation sector grew 24% in one year.

Solar alone already employs WAY more than coal without the pollution of the environment AND without the pollution of the miners.

Now let's add wind power - and it's 88,000 jobs (20% increase 2015-2016).

Tell the coal miners we will retrain them in solar and wind and they can tell the people poisoning them to go to hell.

Wow is this really true? Can anyone cite a source please? I guess I don't get it. If solar already employes more people in better working conditions what (non-political) reason can you make for coal?

We may just have to wait till Elon puts a Gigafactory in West Vergina and we can be done with coal.

Reactions: UCLA98
Clean(er) coal then? ;)

And Barack being a Muslim isn't so far removed from reality, when you factor in his upbringing and some of the remarks he's made over the years. Of course, every other statement he makes is a lie, so I don't believe he's a Christian either and would more accurately describe him as a pandering atheist.
I just get all pissed off about this stuff, because I could see myself siding with some conservatives and some conservative values. People like John Kasich who seem reasonable, honest, respectful, and who won't turn a blind eye to things like climate change because it's ideologically inconvenient or conflicts with their money tree.

But who do we get instead as an option? Donald Trump, who in many ways represents the worst of us (at first his running seemed like nothing more than a good joke for comedians; the fact that he has made it to be the GOP nominee quite frankly scares me -- not just that he is the nominee, but that so many Americans have actually been supportive of him). And you can't safely vote 3rd party because of our broken first past the post voting system. There's no choice. The Republican party is forcing me to consistently vote for Democrats. And this is the worst year yet, with the nominee bringing credibility to the claim that Republicans might actually be the racist, sexist, a holes they are sometimes stereotyped as.
Well, that line of accusation didn't work so well in the most recent election and even backfired (and it's baseless). It's made the media look absolutely in the bag for Hillary because Trump said something mean (to me, actions are louder than words). With the Ds interested in installing Keith Ellison (a proponent of Sharia Law who thinks it's compatible with the constitution) as the DNC chairman, it sounds like more trouble ahead in the midterms. The current liberal city center snowflake tantrums aren't making them look any better either.

As for voting, for me it's the opposite and I couldn't imagine life under the rule of a corrupt lifetime politician, who used connections (both foreign and domestic) to enrich herself at the expense of her constituents. It doesn't help that she's a warhawk (didn't we have enough of that under Bush and the prolonged war on terror under Barry?) and was gunning for a confrontation with Russia. I have mixed feelings on energy policy but do think that all manners of subsidization for energy should be stripped away. With that kind of leveled playing field, I have a feeling renewable energy would begin to look even more attractive. I can relate to getting angry about these topics myself and have to remind myself that there is common ground upon which we can move forward.

Last edited:
In retrospect, given the current state of things, I wish I could go back and tone down my original title and posting. I fear the backlash and conflict it may help generate.

No... you're spot on... there's even a book by that title... isn't part of this not turning away from the truth? The truth is that a large percentage of Republicans have constructed an ideological fantasy world.

'The Republican War on Science'

There's nonsense on the left too... but it stays on the fringes where it belongs... on the Right it's become a party platform...

Bill Maher had an interesting interview with Obama a few weeks ago. I loved how Obama pushed back against some of the liberal nonsense. 'You have to follow the science'. Bill Maher has his own issues with some of that... If you're so arrogant that you reject a 98%+ consensus (especially in a field that isn't yours) in regards to public policy then you don't belong in a public office. It's that simple.

Last edited: