Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Resource Angle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On PLL -

I've not nor am I expecting to look into PLL, but it's been getting an unseemly amount of attention on the main thread. A note now says to place ALL such postings here.

There was one thing that stuck out in today's BDay presentation regarding lithium sourcing. Although Tesla spent a small amount of time discussing Li extraction from Nevada clays (and, as much as I root for Tesla, I'm skeptical that slurrying that clay in a sodium chloride bath will cause Li to jump out and say "Take Me!"), there also was reference in one or two of the slides to spodumene.

Spodumene is a Li-Al pyroxene found quite commonly in pegmatites - and notably in North Carolina. I believe NC is the location of PLL's interests (after all, that's in their name: "Piedmont").

Two more things: Spodumene will not be associated with the evaporite clays in Nevada; also, I guaran-dam-tee you you can't sprinkle salt on a pyroxene's tail and have Li jump out.

Carry on.

https://twitter.com/globallithium/status/1308559459539709952?s=21

Looks like some kind of deal between Piedmont Lithium Limited and Tesla.

B1FF7FB7-56B0-48E6-807A-6FBFFBBB3874.jpeg

https://hotcopper.com.au/threads/pll-signs-sales-agreement-with-tesla.5640207/

edit: still looking for primary source for this document

Last edited:
I see that my concern over

Putting some salt right in,
Shaking some clay about,
Putting some water in,
And some Lithium jumps out

has been shared by others: Tesla's Nevada lithium plan faces stark obstacles on path to production

So - C'mon! With an additional 6-8 months of Battery Day presentation preparation, and all those lovely slides and clips of battery production processes, surely Tesla could have devoted eight seconds to show their Salt Process.

I think that 'negotiating tactic' suggestion is the most logical.

Reactions: jpsgoneev
People might want to attend the benchmark mineral intelligence webinar coming up:
Benchmark Battery Day 2020

My guess is it will not be so rosy but good to have other well qualified experts like Simon's and Vivas's perspectives

This was a very important event. I'll go into detail later. Highly suggest everyone read up on these companies and compare their approaches.

Reactions: jpsgoneev
Cross-posting from main thread... Anyone know if Piedmont is trading now (Thursday) in Australia? I just found this...

ASX probes Piedmont Lithium's Tesla deal

"Then on Wednesday morning, Piedmont announced what it characterised as a five-year lithium supply pact with Tesla. By no coincidence, Tesla held its annual “battery day” on Tuesday (US time).

Incredibly, Piedmont announced this supply pact on its own website but not via the ASX platform. Piedmont removed the statement from its website soon after posting it, but not before it was picked up by Bloomberg."

What do you mean companies? Which webinar did you attend?

Several battery recycing companies presented ther technical approach and current state, and did a roundtable Q&A.

We know Redwood just for JB. An event like this allows you to go beyond brand names and actually study the approaches and challenges in recyclijg (or even re-use). Elon even mentioned in battery day that in the future new batteries will just used components from recycled batteries vs
getting the from mines.

What does that world look like? It is drastically different than today's world the more you think about it. Reference the Benchmark youtube video on Hyperchange. Unless you expect Tesla to recycle for all manufacturers (they wont) or expect them to have 90% market share across all forms of transportation (they wont) then this problem exists, and it matters.

Reactions: mikevbf
Cross-posting from main thread... Anyone know if Piedmont is trading now (Thursday) in Australia? I just found this...

ASX probes Piedmont Lithium's Tesla deal

"Then on Wednesday morning, Piedmont announced what it characterised as a five-year lithium supply pact with Tesla. By no coincidence, Tesla held its annual “battery day” on Tuesday (US time).

Incredibly, Piedmont announced this supply pact on its own website but not via the ASX platform. Piedmont removed the statement from its website soon after posting it, but not before it was picked up by Bloomberg."
Would great for this probe to end. We’re ready for trading to resume.

Random leak? Insider trading? Potentially messy.

”It doesn’t require a market sage to deduce that Piedmont’s deal with Tesla leaked. Whoever was beneficially buying large licks of Piedmont last week will want to have an impregnable explanation at the ready. Clearing and settlement house Pershing alone executed 3.4 million Piedmont shares last Thursday, and you can bet it’ll be taking calls from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission."

Last edited:
Several battery recycing companies presented ther technical approach and current state, and did a roundtable Q&A.

We know Redwood just for JB. An event like this allows you to go beyond brand names and actually study the approaches and challenges in recyclijg (or even re-use). Elon even mentioned in battery day that in the future new batteries will just used components from recycled batteries vs
getting the from mines.

What does that world look like? It is drastically different than today's world the more you think about it. Reference the Benchmark youtube video on Hyperchange. Unless you expect Tesla to recycle for all manufacturers (they wont) or expect them to have 90% market share across all forms of transportation (they wont) then this problem exists, and it matters.

Ok, I watched a different webinar, the last one which was a general reaction to battery day. Now your response makes sense. I look forward to whatever you choose to share from that presentation. And, yes totally agree with all your points.