Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Resource Angle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ABML continues it's drop. Not sure why, there is zero news on it and its industry seems fine, I think. I suppose it's crazy up since 3 months ago though I wasn't in soon enough to take advantage of that. No news seems the case with a lot of resource stocks though, not flashy so there's not a lot of news.

Similarly, on no news I don't see any reason to change my mind on ABML, so I'll just hold on and hope it does well moving forward. The inability to sell covered calls is a significant drawback with OTC stuff, something I didn't realize before ABML (my first OTC stock). Covered calls really help mitigate downside risk, which is something I'm personally happy to do. It's something I'll take into consideration before buying OTC stocks in the future.

Strange that ABML is dropping while LLKKF, TLGRF, and NVNXF are all up more than 8%.
That is what stuck out for me. All of them have had big rises in the last few months, but only ABML is giving it back while the others plug along. Still, it's very short term, mostly the last couple weeks, so could just be fluctuations. Deviation from its brethren is a flag, an anomaly that might be meaningful...or it might not, but it catches my eye and invites research into why. Makes me wonder if some inner circle knows something the public doesn't.

Lacking any real information though, all I can do is wonder. And commit to splitting my investment in related companies more widely next time.

Edit: I did find they released earnings on Feb 16th, which is when the stock really went south. The EPS is bad, worst in a long time. Reading the report now, maybe there are good reasons behind it (i.e. R&D investment): http://filings.irdirect.net/data/1576873/000107878221000135/f10q123120_10q.pdf

Edit 2: Yea, they raised a bunch of money via stock and spent a bunch of money. Their cash position seems a concern, indeed, listed as an "ongoing concern". Looks like a typical startup, burning cash in hopes of making a product before they run out. I'm not knowledgeable enough to determine if they overstretched and are at risk or if that's a pretty normal report for a company in their position.

Last edited:
One hour interview with ABML's COO, Menka Sethi. She goes over environmental permits a lot, which I think has broad based application and insights for the entire EV supply chain. Very, very insightful comments from here -

00:00 - Intro
00:47 - Show Open
02:00 - Architect, Developer, MBA
05:10 - Chief Operating Officer
08:33 - Lessons Learned at Facebook
10:55 - Building Trust
12:17 - ABTC's Challenges
14:29 - Storage, Transport, and Waste Classification
18:15 - Building and Operational Permits
21:18 - Environmental Permits
23:35 - Discharge Permits
25:00 - Why are Permits so Hard?
27:04 - What takes so long?
29:14 - Making Friends instead of Enemies
31:15 - Competitive Advantage
37:07 - 2021? 2022?
38:00 - Trade Secrets
39:25 - Expanding to other States
41:03 - When Will Construction Start?
41:44 - Message for the Community
44:32 - Why Fernley?
46:24 - Water Rights
49:27 - Air Emissions
54:00 - Who Writes the Permits?
55:24 - Commercial Prototype Facility
57:29 - Benchscale to Commercial Pilot Scale
58:53 - Closing Thoughts

Disclosure: I'm one of the co-host and recently became an adviser to the company (not for the podcast, that's just me putting on my Tesla investor hat on and realizing that this form of deep due diligence / research is desired in today's era of crowdsourced intelligence).

If anyone knows of any ESG companies that would like to be on our podcast in the future to talk about green supply chain / trends / economics, PM me. We're doing longform podcast to go into deep research into these topics.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. After the last week of ABML really dropping, it was nice to hear their COO was really knowledgeable and on top of her game.

Yah, I've learned from being a Tesla investor that short term price actions don't inform my decisions, it's the long-term fundamentals and approach. From everything that's been publicly communicated about the company, I'm excited about both the operational efficiency/throughout and environmental impact ABML's recycling process will have on the world. Who cares about the exact month of the pilot plant opening? The Model 3 ramp took years and was super delayed. Innovation in the short term disappoints, and in the long term surprises.

Also, on Clubhouse talks some very notable people in the green supply chain industry have spoken well about ABML. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the Managing Director of Benchmark Minerals, Simon Moores, say very positive things about Ryan on Twitter. And to see Jordan from The Limiting Factor commenting on our podcast about Menka put a HUGE smile on my face hahaha.

We have some industry speakers lined up in the coming weeks, so excited for those episodes to come out.

Does anybody know anything about GRAT? I have a friend who thinks this type of graphite will be essential and competitive for battery production. It looks like any other Junior Miner to me, a space I know little about.

Gratomic is a Publicly Traded Vein Graphite Company TSX.V : GRAT

He has explained that the type of graphite is what differentiates this company, and that they seem to have a good embrace of ESG, which is becoming a must-have in 2021.

And today ABML giving up all of yesterday's gains and more. Lots of action on zero news, must be manipulation.

There was news:
ABML:

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
Thanks, I see that as a buying opportunity, grabbed some more.

Probably a good idea. For those that didn't lookup Spruce Point Capital Management, LLC:

Spruce Point Capital Management, LLC is a New York based investment manager founded in 2009. The firm focuses on short-selling, value, and special situation investment opportunities. The firm conducts in depth fundamental research and takes an activist approach to investing.

Reactions: ggies07 and JRP3