Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The rubber things at the top of the bonnet...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
I don't know where this ranks on the list of First World Problems, but I going to have to assume it's pretty high up.

When I open the bonnet on my car, more often than not, these two rubber thingies will catch the bonnet as its lifted and fold backwards, rather than staying to the side of the bonnet...

IMG_4011.jpeg

IMG_4012.jpeg

Is there anything I can do to fix it, short of replacing them? I thought about maybe sticking some double sided tape there, but there isn't really anything for it to stick to.

Anyone else get this problem?

I know it's ridiculous...

I don't know where this ranks on the list of First World Problems, but I going to have to assume it's pretty high up.

When I open the bonnet on my car, more often than not, these two rubber thingies will catch the bonnet as its lifted and fold backwards, rather than staying to the side of the bonnet...

View attachment 567132
View attachment 567133

Is there anything I can do to fix it, short of replacing them? I thought about maybe sticking some double sided tape there, but there isn't really anything for it to stick to.

Anyone else get this problem?

I know it's ridiculous...

One of our co-religionists identified that area as a major contributor to wind noise. I'll search out the thread anon.

Reactions: Durzel
Looks like the same problem I have on the driver's side. Keep meaning to send this picture to service. There seems to be a piece missing that fits into the single hole visible just under the edge of the wing. Can't see exactly what's missing as I didn't want to take the passenger side bits apart - nothing moves easily there.
IMG_3033.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Looks like the same problem I have on the driver's side. Keep meaning to send this picture to service. There seems to be a piece missing that fits into the single hole visible just under the edge of the wing. Can't see exactly what's missing as I didn't want to take the passenger side bits apart - nothing moves easily there.View attachment 567253

Is that covered in the parts catalogue?
https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/47318
Looks like you’re holding the top left of a screen cowl which seems to want for a trim clip? Not sure though i dont see the other clips on the part i found in the catalogue so might be wrong.seems like a simple fix if so though

Unfortunately links to the parts catalog don’t work, even though they look like they should.

I had an odd time when it just went to a blank page when i was trying to get to the root URL, but found that if i linked to a page then it would load and require password to login.

@Godsense - For the login page, I just used my regular tesla account details and it worked

When you do log in it takes you back to the home page - so you heave to navigate through Model 3 > 12. Exterior Fittings > 1225 Underhood Trim to see the parts I was talking about

Decided to do a Blue Peter job to see if it will bend back itself after a bit of pressure. Will probably make sod all difference.

Neither side feels loose and the parts catalog schematics seem to show only one screw attaching them?

79FF58CE-41DA-4C3B-A713-369AF86B6799.jpeg

395C9188-9D2C-4D01-A545-6097EC725AD8.jpeg

Not sure about under the peg, but yes the bit arrowed moves about a bit. It appears to be clipped on underneath the bonnet and is a separate piece to the rubber bit I'm having problems with, but it also moves quite freely. Does that answer your question?

Does yours move/rattle around? Is that why you were asking?

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBadger
Not sure about under the peg, but yes the bit arrowed moves about a bit. It appears to be clipped on underneath the bonnet and is a separate piece to the rubber bit I'm having problems with, but it also moves quite freely. Does that answer your question?

Does yours move/rattle around? Is that why you were asking?

Those bits move freely around on mine, but I’m not having the issue with the piece that bends back in the way that you are....

Yeah I have PPF on the whole front and sides of the car.

I don't believe it was dislodged during installation, I'm pretty sure I've had this problem from day one. It intuively feels like the rubber got caught and got bent out of shape once when lifting the bonnet, and it hasn't been true since - if that makes sense.

Reactions: fancealot