Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "savings" from giving up your Tesla (under Loan) for a Cheap, old car, paid off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the 4 years I have owned my pickup I've spent 4200 dollars in maintenance. That includes new tires last year. I've spent approx 3000 in gas over the same period. If I were to purchase say a Rivian to replace my truck I would finance about 55,000 dollars that is with a down payment. My payment would be around 700 a month. So at the 4 year mark I would have spent over 30,000 dollars with gas savings. I'm going to keep my truck a couple more years.

A car is an expense - plain and simple.
You say you didn’t save any money, but I think a better way of phrasing it is you “lost about as much” as a traditional ICE vehicle.

If people as a whole saved money in the long run purchasing EVs and Hybrids, they’d dominate the roads. Last I read, you had to own a Prius for roughly 13 years just to break even.

A car is an expense - plain and simple.
You say you didn’t save any money, but I think a better way of phrasing it is you “lost about as much” as a traditional ICE vehicle.

Thing is, I don't consider money spent on necessary expenses as "lost". To my feeble brain, "lost" money is a spend that could've been avoided.

Like, the $550 I just spent on a new Wall Connector, because I chewed the old one up in the snowblower. That's a loss. Spending it on a vehicle that I require, that's not a loss, at least to my "I'm not an accountant and don't play one on TV" way of thinking. I call that "an unavoidable expense" ...

Reactions: Andy7
Thing is, I don't consider money spent on necessary expenses as "lost". To my feeble brain, "lost" money is a spend that could've been avoided.

Like, the $550 I just spent on a new Wall Connector, because I chewed the old one up in the snowblower. That's a loss. Spending it on a vehicle that I require, that's not a loss, at least to my "I'm not an accountant and don't play one on TV" way of thinking. I call that "an unavoidable expense" ...
A vehicle I require a satisfied by a $10k beater. While a car is necessary, a brand new one isn’t.

To put it into context, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs and others never bought a new car until they made their fortunes. If you think like a billionaire, you can start living like one. I bought my M3P with cash that I had from driving a shitty Camry for 13 years…. If I lost my job today, the last thing I’d be thinking about is selling my car, house, etc.

If you buy a shitty car, you’re going to come out ahead. There’s no denying it. Just buy something you’re not fixing every month. I learned how to maintain my vehicles by watching YouTube vids and buying cheap Chinese tools off Amazon.

Nope. The first time I show up at my customer with a piece of junk, and it costs me a sale, because it will, I’m way behind the 8-ball.

So, there ya go. I’m that guy.

Your customers are clearly dumb.

Not saying what you’re selling isn’t worth it, but Gates / Buffet / Perot all made tons and tons while driving beaters. If they’re that superficial to only buy from you because you have a nice ride, well they deserve to fund your Tesla.

Plus…a Tesla is not a unique ride. Not even close. It’s nice but not “I should buy what he’s selling no matter what” nice.

Reactions: JetDriver05
Your customers are clearly dumb.
I'm with you on this one. When I used to visit customers in person, they could give two shits about my car. If you're in sales or support and your vehicle is the deciding factor if your customers do business with you, you're in the wrong business.

You need to change your whole mindset. But this is a Tesla forum. I'll try to keep it Tesla related.

I'm with you on this one. When I used to visit customers in person, they could give two shits about my car. If you're in sales or support and your vehicle is the deciding factor if your customers do business with you, you're in the wrong business.

You need to change your whole mindset. But this is a Tesla forum. I'll try to keep it Tesla related.

Agree. I just want everyone to know I bought a Model 3 because Elon has a space ship. Yeah.

Reactions: RipVanFinkle
Totally agreed. Old BMW are cheap for a reason. I personally would not own another BMW in my life. I would only consider lease a new one and return it. They have so many issues after a few years and very costly to repair.
During the past 2 years, I've sunk perhaps $8000 into fixing my 2011 BMW 328xi so that it continues to run ok... That's about what the car is actually worth on the used car market. But I still like the car... handles like no other car I've had, including the Model 3... hard to know when to say enough is enough.

It’s far from the only thing, but if I take them to lunch in a beat up piece of junk that should be in a junkyard, they’re not going to think that I think much of them.

It’s not about a Tesla but something presentable. Not, in the words used above, “a shitty car.”

Not that anyone is going out to lunch now. Or, in an office.

• Helpful
Reactions: valaeyron
It’s far from the only thing, but if I take them to lunch in a beat up piece of junk that should be in a junkyard, they’re not going to think that I think much of them.

It’s not about a Tesla but something presentable. Not, in the words used above, “a shitty car.”

Not that anyone is going out to lunch now. Or, in an office.

Okay, fair. Although I would actually respect a sales rep more if the vehicle was normal/modest, tbh. But that’s just me, and yes I have decided on large sales.

I agree if it’s a total BEATER or filled with trash/etc… but all an expensive car says to me is that I’m paying more for this than I should (where else did you get such a nice ride??)

Reactions: dmurphy
Okay, fair. Although I would actually respect a sales rep more if the vehicle was normal/modest, tbh. But that’s just me, and yes I have decided on large sales.

I agree if it’s a total BEATER or filled with trash/etc… but all an expensive car says to me is that I’m paying more for this than I should (where else did you get such a nice ride??)

We're in total agreement. A beater is what I had in mind from the post above - that, I can't show up in. Anything modestly appointed is, of course, fine.

That said -- if I'm being honest, much as we all love it, Model 3 isn't some crazy over-the-top vehicle. At least, not when Accords start in the mid-30s.

And in a completely Machiavellian sense, Model 3 has started more than one conversation with my customers. Some of whom already owned a Tesla, some of whom bought one afterwards, and some of whom absolutely hate-stormed all over it. All 3 of those are OK with me, it's good bonding. (Just to lay out the scope, I've been either working for or with the same tech firm for almost 25 years now. So, it's more like coworkers than that-guy-who-shows-up-to-sell-stuff. I'm beyond blessed in my career path.)

Frankly, it's much more out-of-the-norm when my wife shows up at her public school teaching job in her Model X ... now THAT stands out like a sore thumb.

But yeah, we are in total agreement - I'm not exactly (as in, not at all) the gold-chains-and-heavy-cologne rolling up in my showoff vehicle sort. But a beater (or the words used above "a shitty car") isn't going to cut it either.

Reactions: valaeyron
A vehicle I require a satisfied by a $10k beater. While a car is necessary, a brand new one isn’t.

To put it into context, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs and others never bought a new car until they made their fortunes. If you think like a billionaire, you can start living like one. I bought my M3P with cash that I had from driving a shitty Camry for 13 years…. If I lost my job today, the last thing I’d be thinking about is selling my car, house, etc.

If you buy a shitty car, you’re going to come out ahead. There’s no denying it. Just buy something you’re not fixing every month. I learned how to maintain my vehicles by watching YouTube vids and buying cheap Chinese tools off Amazon.
Speaking to the other side, in my line of work, I've seen many people who "did everything right" end up dying or becoming severely disabled right around when they retired. So there's a balance, there's no getting your younger years back. Those vacations not taken, dinners not gone to, cars not bought all for the sake of saving for your "future" might be a regret.