Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Stationary Battery Business

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is amazing, there seems to be a huge demand around the world for energy storage!

"Village in Armenia May Be Tesla’s Next Powerpack Location
December 29, 2017
You may have heard about Tesla’s Powerpack stations if you have read what Tesla was doing in Puerto Rico. These are utility and business energy storage units that help to store energy. Let’s say you have a solar station and produce excess amount of energy. You need something like Powerpack to store your extra energy. That’s what Tesla and Armenia are negotiating about and here is where the first pilot project will be built in Armenia. [...]
Village in Armenia May Be Tesla's Next Powerpack Location - Armenian News By MassisPost

First posted here: 2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

Then we agree. Tesla has been selling storage product below cost because it was not able to ship enough volume. That's my understanding of the current nature of the business and it's what I have been saying all along.

Oh-kay. So we're talking at cross purposes because you use a different definition of "cost" than I do.

What I'm saying is that they're selling storage product above marginal cost. I.e. when they take lithium and cobalt and aluminum in one side and ship another Powerwall or Powerpack out the other side, they make money. What you're saying is that they're selling storage product above average cost, which includes all kinds of other one-time and recurring costs which are not proportional to the number of widgets produced. Do we both agree that both of these things are true?

But I don't give a **** about amortized capital costs or the cost to keep the lights on at the Gigafactory. Those are fixed costs which are being included in cost of goods sold, but they aren't proportional to volume of production. They don't scale up. They're not relevant to predicting Tesla's profit margin while they're selling lots of batteries.

In fact, the portion of overhead allocated to this business isn't relevant *ever* because the overhead costs are shared with the overhead costs of making batteries for cars. The allocation of overhead between these business lines is arbitrary, capricious, and of no business relevance.

This is a very important point. Do you understand it? It's crucial to understanding businesses which have economies of scale. This is why I talk about true marginal costs and overhead separately.

I am quite sure that the stationary battery business was initially entered as a hedge against occasional low Model 3 order numbers -- gotta use that giant factory at full capacity. But it turns out that demand is very high, so it was a bigger business than expected (except by JB Straubel, who figured it would be bigger than cars).

Is it worth building a second Gigafatory just for Powerpacks? Perhaps not? Is it worth building Powerpacks when the production lines for cars can't keep up with the cell production? Probably.

Forward looking : could the market be huge? Possibly. But today the business case does not work well for large scale storage.
You're wrong here. The waiting list is proof enough. For the short term, have you ever counted up how *many* isolated grids or flaky edge-of-grid areas there acrtually *are*? In more resilient grids, frequency and voltage regulation and covering short-term (minute) outages is the obvious (highest-payback) revenue source, but it's not the only revenue source which works right now. Price arbitrage is already a thing, of course, as Neoen is doing it. Energy security in areas with unreliable grids (Puerto Rico) is a monumental business, and they won't even look at the LCOE. But those are just the beginning. I've run the numbers and overnight storage already beats building any new fossil plants. (Of course, electricity demand is down in most places, but where demand is going up, it becomes the obvious choice.) It also beats running old nuclear plants. It doesn't reliably beat running old gas or coal plants yet, but the costs of operating those are going to go up (whole 'nother essay there); so we don't even need battery prices to come down.

Perhaps this is our main point of disagreement: the size of the market.

(Perhaps Tesla's biggest problem in the stationary storage business is the same one it's having in the car business: production delays! They've got a waiting list they can't fill, and *that* gives competitors time to move in on the market.)

When the market will be huge, then other operators will be ready.
They aren't ready, though, and the market is already big enough that everyone has waiting lists (not just Tesla). AES and AMS are selling systems and seem to be the main competitors at industrial-scale / grid-scale at the moment, and they have waiting lists too. At residential scale / commercial scale, none of the competitors seem to have economies of scale and none of them seem price-competitive.

The single biggest planned competitor, CATL, doesn't have finance yet.

Energy storage is a commodity. It's simple as that. I don't want Tesla in commodities.
Well, OK. Arguably it isn't a commodity though. The raw batteries are, but the system integration isn't. At the moment, I see two competitors in the systems integration market for battery systems... AES and AMS. (The non-Tesla residential-scale guys have systems which are way too bodged together.)

I want Tesla in markets where it can work its emotional appeal and extraordinary vision to leverage exceptional returns.
Musk is very definitely using the emotional appeal aspect to sell the roofs -- and it's working. And using it to sell the Powerwalls, if not the Powerpacks.

Arguably the stationary storage business will give better profit margins at residential scale than at utility scale due to the less dollars-and-cents-oriented purchase mentality, but on the other hand there are fewer economies of scale in the installation -- that's a hard call. Tesla is of course playing both sides simultaneously, and will probably focus on whichever one seems to be winning.

The new residential/commercial sales model seems to be effectively a turnkey off-grid operation, with solar, batteries, and inverters all provided by Tesla with a standard integration format -- with grid assist for those who don't pay enough to go fully off grid.

This has emotional appeal and people will pay more than the economic payback for the *reliability* factor.

There are a few other companies trying to sell such systems in Australia but they don't seem to have gotten much traction and their system integration seems weak.

Last edited:
But I don't give a **** about amortized capital costs or the cost to keep the lights on at the Gigafactory. Those are fixed costs which are being included in cost of goods sold, but they aren't proportional to volume of production. They don't scale up. They're not relevant to predicting Tesla's profit margin while they're selling lots of batteries.

In fact, the portion of overhead allocated to this business isn't relevant *ever* because the overhead costs are shared with the overhead costs of making batteries for cars. The allocation of overhead between these business lines is arbitrary, capricious, and of no business relevance.
..."power to keep the lights on"... maybe the same amount every month BUT it varies per unit depending on the units produced. So electric bill cost per battery VARIES depending on the number of batteries produced. So it is known as a VARIABLE COST.

A fixed cost would be the materials that go into the battery. Each battery has the exact same materials so is considered a FIXED COST.

(Yes, economies of scale may offer quantity discounts.
Volume makes a difference cost per unit varies depending how many you make 1,000 vs1,000,000))

Overhead costs must be paid. "Cost Accounting" is a management "tool" which is often called an "art" rather than a science and so your suspensions are well founded. It is relevant *always*. However, you are allowed to use whatever "perspectives" you like to decide what you like, so "...overhead ... isn't relevant *ever*"... if you like.

GAAP [Generally Accepted Accounting Principles] may seem irrelevant in today's out of control Banksters of Wall Street that mislead and lie much of the time (volatility is their profit maker, right? every trade they make money). IF you use GAAP and use it "fairly" then comparing Auto Makers would be useful, no? Maybe even for comparing different industries if you are careful. When is comes to money, I guess being careful goes without saying?

I hope this helps to educate. I'm not trying to pick a fight. Pointing out my errors always welcome.

good night and good luck

PS- interesting to see who steps up to compete with Elon in Cars, Trucks, Battery Storage, solar roofs, satellite launches and I hope we get a few actual competitors in "internet communication satellite" business.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
..."power to keep the lights on"... maybe the same amount every month BUT it varies per unit depending on the units produced. So electric bill cost per battery VARIES depending on the number of batteries produced. So it is known as a VARIABLE COST.

A fixed cost would be the materials that go into the battery. Each battery has the exact same materials so is considered a FIXED COST.

I think you are talking about amortized cost, not fixed vs variable.

The base electricity to keep building running is a fixed cost. It is the same at zero or full production. The energy needed to charge the cells varies with production, zero at zero lots at full production, so is a variable cost.
The material needed to make the cell is a known cost per unit that does not change, but that does not make it a fixed cost. If you make zero cells, you buy zero lithium. If you make a lot of cells you buy a lot of lithium. It varies with production, thus a variable cost. The machine that creates the cell has to be paid for regardless of usage, so it is a fixed cost.

Reference

Reactions: neroden
@mongo

When I sold software for manufacturing the main emphasis was cost accounting and the goal was to provide cost per unit.
The benefit of knowing/determining cost per unit I think is obvious for management to use for pricing/bidding. So my perspective of costs per unit I hope is understandable for labeling fixed vs variable costs. This is of course only one perspective on running a business.

Volume/production affects most calculations. Obvious, right?

@mongo

When I sold software for manufacturing the main emphasis was cost accounting and the goal was to provide cost per unit.
The benefit of knowing/determining cost per unit I think is obvious for management to use for pricing/bidding. So my perspective of costs per unit I hope is understandable for labeling fixed vs variable costs. This is of course only one perspective on running a business.

Volume/production affects most calculations. Obvious, right?

I dig. What you are speaking of is a big factor when choosing which plant to put a new product in. There may just be a perspective issue due to fixed and variable having very specific meanings in the accounting world. Whereas in the software/ manufacturing side of things, the fixed and variable costs do not necessarily correspond to the same thing.

Total cost of producing a widget can be viewed as including the fixed costs divided by total widget production, or it can be treated as a separate line item. Separating it allows the ability to run different scenarios due to it being a constant across volumes. The bottom line of the business is the same either way. For GF with different end products, trying the split the fixed across the lines would be challenging.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Brando
I hope this helps to educate. I'm not trying to pick a fight. Pointing out my errors always welcome.
To explain what I've been trying to say, I prefer to dig deeper into the actual financial situation of a company rather than look at summaries... the correct method of analysis actually depends on the industry.

You have the meaning of fixed costs and variable costs wrong. These are standard economics/accounting terms.

Fixed cost: total dollar value does not vary with number of units produced. Property tax on the Gigafactory, for instance.
Variable cost: total dollar value VARIES with number of units produce. Materials for the battery, for example.

This is a capital-intensive industry with high fixed costs and relatively low variable costs. It is therefore crucial to separate fixed costs from variable costs in your analysis, and the third, absolutely critical, number is the volume produced. (Tesla needs to make and sell 250K to 500K cars per year to be profitable.... this has basically always been true.)

The amortization of fixed costs over units produced is a *useful tool some of the time*. But it can be highly misleading, particularly for a factory which produces multiple different products, or for a factory where the number of units produced is changing substantially (without changing the fixed costs).

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Another large scale battery project in Australia. This one is unique because it will combine 100 MWh of battery storage with 600 MWh's of pumped hydro storage to become the largest 'storage system' in Australia. This hybrid system is being constructed by a large steel working & mining company that conveniently had access to a large open mining pit that it could use for its pumped storage reservoir to create the 100 MW / 600 MWh capacity pumped storage plant. The article seems to suggest that the pumped storage portion of the project would have been unrealistic without the already-created pit, and otherwise might have been a battery-only storage system. I think it is important to recognize the clear advantages of the extremely fast response/recovery time of the battery system over all other systems, as the recent Tesla project in Australia has demonstrated. Thus I would suspect the battery storage system is the first line of defense in a power outage and the pumped storage system is ultimately a 'back-up' to the battery system for extended outages - meaning the battery system would come on line first and provide sufficient time to bring the pumped storage system online:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ones...lia-quin/?trackingId=2uuJfdVJFW2TORlZFKi0LQ==

Neoen apparently likes working with Tesla and plans to build more systems like the South Australia one:

Tesla, Neoen Deal Would Outdo Record-Breaking Battery Down Under

Of interest to me, it seems to me that Neoen may become Tesla's second reliable corporate partner (after Panasonic).

A Panasonic quality partner for Tesla Energy on the deployment side - I would love to see that. Tesla has enough of a challenge building the stuff in bigger and bigger volumes - having a partner that is focused on deploying the stuff in bigger and bigger volumes takes an important distraction away from Tesla (or at least mitigates it - that distraction is also where Tesla gets the real world experience that causes their bits, pieces, and systems to be easily installed and operated in the real world, so they can't walk away from all of it).

The World Bank is apparently planning a "Scaling Solar and Storage" program which would make storage "an integral part of its Scaling Solar program." World Bank plans ‘Scaling Solar and Storage’ program

"To date, the original ‘Scaling Solar’ programme has overseen PV tenders rolled out across Zambia, Ethiopia, Madagascar and Senegal, and achieved some impressive price reductions.

Utility-scale solar and storage is fledgling in Africa, with one of its first such projects in Kenya receiving financial backing last year."​

I hope this sort of initiative lights a fire. Cheap solar/wind plus storage has the potential to power up Africa and other underserved parts of the world while skipping over fossil fuels, just as cell phones have proliferated in areas where landlines were rare or non-existent.

Reactions: dc_h
There appears to be an interesting regulatory development percolating in California that would permit solar-tied batteries to take full advantage of net metering. This could be a big deal for the battery business since the shift to time of use rates with late afternoon/evening peak hours requires a solar+battery combination to take full benefit of net metering.

California’s shift to new time-of-use rates lowers the value of solar at midday, when it floods the wires, and increases the price of evening power. That means reduced payback for traditional solar customers who can only export when the sun shines and then have to buy power at night.

Those who pair solar panels with batteries, though, could store midday generation and sell it to the grid at the peak time-of-use rates, if allowed. That personal profit addresses a systemic challenge: the dreaded "duck curve."

Solar customers would make more money by exporting just when utilities are scrambling to fulfill the steep ramps required in the evening, when solar generation drops off and electrical demand spikes.​

In a bizarre twist that seems out of touch with these polarized times, everyone seems to be supporting the proposal, including utilities.

The Time Has Come for Battery Net Metering