Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Buying Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Up this morning very early with dogs needing to go out and came across this article about the changing car buying experience.

Everything Must Go! The American Car Dealership Is for Sale.. Everything Must Go! The American Car Dealership Is for Sale.

My MY is being delivered next Monday and yes, it has been a wait (3 months) but not painful. First time I've ever ordered a car but thinking back, this has been the best car buying experience ever.

#1... no dealing with car salesmen or the finance guy and all their shenanigans (tricks).
#2... no-haggle price, it is the price everyone pays the same price so you know you are not getting gipped.
#3...Effortless ordering online.
#4....Setting up final payment, insurance, etc., all online.
#5....Picking up from the Houston Service Center is looking to be painless.

When people have asked me why am I getting a Tesla, I've said the only reason is the charging network. I can't depend on the Electrify America system to travel with my other EVs, Tesla wins here; however, I will now say the Tesla's Buying Experience is right up there with the charging network.

Keith
Houston, TX

Agree 100%. The traditional car buying experience is even worse now with the microchip shortage and mark ups on Toyota Corollas... I've been trying to buy my mother in law a RAV4 at MSRP and it's been an awful experience. Dealers wont even give a price over the phone, add in useless items, make you sit around while they discuss pricing with a manager, etc.

IMG_0771.jpeg

So sad. More sheep being led to slaughter. ;)

Buying experience? Very cool. Totally agree (except I'm never a fan of price fixing from corporate...)

Service experience? For me, also very cool (but I haven't had significant issues) NOT for a significant number of owners.

Reactions: KeithMac
My wife and I test drove a Kia Niro the same day we test drove (and fell in love with) the Model Y and the contrast was stark. I hadn't been inside a dealership since I bought my current car back in 2009 but the experience of test driving the Niro checked off every item on what constitutes the stereotypical dealership experience. While Teslas do a great job of selling themselves, we also had an amazing SA (a Model Y owner herself) that walked us through the features of the car before our first test drive and got us really excited about it. Meanwhile, the person we worked with at the Kia dealership was painfully disinterested and the only thing we were excited about with regards to that experience was getting out of there.

Granted, not everyone will have a similarly great experience (YMMV is very fitting here).

So sad. More sheep being led to slaughter. ;)

Buying experience? Very cool. Totally agree (except I'm never a fan of price fixing from corporate...)

Service experience? For me, also very cool (but I haven't had significant issues) NOT for a significant number of owners.
Why even post this? You have had a great experience at SCs but a significant amount of people haven’t. So by your logic you will have a terrible SC experience IF you have a significant issue. Will it to be true and it shall be true. I’ve only had great experiences as well. Maybe we should let people discover their own service visits instead of setting some mind set. Why are people so negative on here. Jeez

It was a terrible attempt at humor when your talking to someone brand new to the brand. We should be guiding and helping people. There is to much toxicity in this forum. Sorry other people’s experiences haven’t been great but I have not had issues as well as a lot of other people. I hope the original poster has great experiences with the SC. My advice is to ignore the negativity on the forum and take it for face value. Look for the people looking to help and not troll.

Uhh...stating reality isn't trolling. Sorry you feel that way. "Guiding and helping people" should be telling them the truth, not sugar-coating and ignoring the truth.

The buying experience is exceptional. The service is sketchy and is far from the exceptional buying experience.

Caveat emptor.

Well my buying experience was going so well however there have been a few glitches with delivery and this one today has me really taken the wind out of my sails.

Last week, delivery was pushed to tomorrow at 4 because of the storm that came thru Texas, understand that. Explained that the truck wasn't arriving until Sunday. Delivery scheduled for tomorrow at 4.

Today get a call that my delivery has been pushed to possibly next Wednesday because my MY needs "rectifications" The SA explained that the car was on a "Train" and the car carrier was graffitied. Overspray thru the metal slates got on my car. He explained that the car is now heading to their shop where the clear coat will be removed in order to remove the paint spray. At least 3 days or more.

Very disappointing, had my whole weekend planned getting rims coated, tinting, etc. done. Now very worried if the fix is not done right. Trying to stay optimistic and hope all is repaired correctly.

Keith
Houston, TX

Attachments

• 262633 1.jpg
    262633 1.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 262633 2.jpg
    262633 2.jpg
    772.9 KB · Views: 73
Agree 100%. The traditional car buying experience is even worse now with the microchip shortage and mark ups on Toyota Corollas... I've been trying to buy my mother in law a RAV4 at MSRP and it's been an awful experience. Dealers wont even give a price over the phone, add in useless items, make you sit around while they discuss pricing with a manager, etc.

View attachment 708409
A Corolla for $39K. Holy crap!

Well my buying experience was going so well however there have been a few glitches with delivery and this one today has me really taken the wind out of my sails.

Last week, delivery was pushed to tomorrow at 4 because of the storm that came thru Texas, understand that. Explained that the truck wasn't arriving until Sunday. Delivery scheduled for tomorrow at 4.

Today get a call that my delivery has been pushed to possibly next Wednesday because my MY needs "rectifications" The SA explained that the car was on a "Train" and the car carrier was graffitied. Overspray thru the metal slates got on my car. He explained that the car is now heading to their shop where the clear coat will be removed in order to remove the paint spray. At least 3 days or more.

Very disappointing, had my whole weekend planned getting rims coated, tinting, etc. done. Now very worried if the fix is not done right. Trying to stay optimistic and hope all is repaired correctly.

Keith
Houston, TX

Wow! That's terrible. Might want to pass on that one or they need to extend warranty on the paint or something.

Reactions: thinktwice
KeithMac: Sorry for your ordeal. I would definitely refuse delivery. Hopefully, they'll shoehorn you into the front of the line for future delivery.

Yes, the Tesla delivery issues are legendary, and not for even the most normally patient person.

I'm fine with no haggle pricing or an MSRP is what you pay price if it's a fair price for the features and quality of the car like Tesla does. You don't have FOMO that the person after you saved more money and it stops the draining game of emailing 10 different dealers while just trying to get an honest out the door quote.

The games, upselling, etc at a traditional dealership is garbage.

Reactions: KeithMac

View attachment 708409

Imagine paying $40k for a Corolla....

I shopped around, BMW X3M40i, SQ5, pretty much every ”luxury” SUV in the class. I just couldn’t pull the trigger. I dont trust traditional dealearships at all. We have an M3LR already, so I know the benefits of Tesla (and the downfalls) but I was hesitant to go with 2 EVs…

once i started going back and forth with dealers, I immediately ordered the MYP. The wait time for the MYP is no longer than what BMW was giving me, hopefully it’s comes soon :)

LOL at $10K dealer markup on a Corolla...

I agree that Tesla is shaking up a business model way overdue for major change. I do think it is a better experience overall, but does need work. Some of my gripes:

1/ The randomly wandering deliver date
2/ The total lack of human interaction. I am all for automating, but there is literally no way to get in touch with a human. This is such a radically different experience that they are going to HAVE to address this if they want to break through to the masses.
3/ The need to pay before receiving the car. I know others have stated you don't "have" to pay prior, but the app sure makes it seem like you do. My guess is #1 is a result of this (haven't paid? delivery gets pushed) and #2 would help a LOT with this
4/ The pick up experience could use some work. My advisor literally tried like 20 times (no joke) to get the car activated in my account. Also once the transaction was done and car was activated, she was out of there. No driving tips....nada. This is another thing they need to fix to appeal to the masses. These cars are way different and drive way different and it would have been nice to have a bit more guidance before driving off.