Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla (dash) Cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm picking up the M3LR on Saturday. I've had a dash cam on all my cars for at least the past 10 years; wouldn't be without one. That said, one of the key features of my dash cams w was the speed camera warning. I presusme the Tesla cam doesn't have thta feature? How do I get it?

There's not much to stop you have a third party dashcam fitted to a Tesla if you like this type of feature, there is nothing equivalent built into the car.

The car can notify you if you exceed the limit anywhere, even limit your speed to the current speed, but it doesn't do any specific where fixed speed cameras are located.

I'm picking up the M3LR on Saturday. I've had a dash cam on all my cars for at least the past 10 years; wouldn't be without one. That said, one of the key features of my dash cams w was the speed camera warning. I presusme the Tesla cam doesn't have thta feature? How do I get it?
Do bear in mind that the Tesla Dashcam is a feature that was added in software to take advantage of cameras that are designed primarily for other purposes (visual sensors for potential self driving). The reason I mention this is because it doesn't necessarily include all the features of a system that only works as a dashcam. It was added as an extra feature that most people find useful. However, I believe some people still install their own dedicated dashcam system.

Reactions: MrBadger
Do bear in mind that the Tesla Dashcam is a feature that was added in software to take advantage of cameras that are designed primarily for other purposes (visual sensors for potential self driving). The reason I mention this is because it doesn't necessarily include all the features of a system that only works as a dashcam. It was added as an extra feature that most people find useful. However, I believe some people still install their own dedicated dashcam system.
For unknown reasons, I found the quality from Tesla dashcam footage is lower than the live view.

There's not much to stop you have a third party dashcam fitted to a Tesla if you like this type of feature, there is nothing equivalent built into the car.
I have fitted the dash cam to each of the past 4 cars I have had. Like most things it's easy if you know what to do. The 'knowing what do do' part is knowing which two fuses to attach to (two fuses - one that is permanently live and one that is only live when the ignition is on). I have read a lengthy thread on here about fitting a cam but it wasn't v good.
Does the M3 have a set of fuses - where? Does the manual explain which fuse does what?

I have fitted the dash cam to each of the past 4 cars I have had. Like most things it's easy if you know what to do. The 'knowing what do do' part is knowing which two fuses to attach to (two fuses - one that is permanently live and one that is only live when the ignition is on). I have read a lengthy thread on here about fitting a cam but it wasn't v good.
Does the M3 have a set of fuses - where? Does the manual explain which fuse does what?
There isn't a conventional fuse board, but I've seen lots of guides of how to get a suitable 12v feed from videos on YouTube.

I have a Nextbase 412GW dashcam mounted on its magnetic "GPS" base on the left of the rear view mirror.
It operates on 5v usually provided by an included cigar plug to USB-mini plug.
I got an extra long USB-A to USB-mini lead off Ebay and fed it "the pretty way" to the back of the centre console and used a switched lead/USB-C adapter to connect to one of the rear USB-C sockets. I used the switch to turn the power on and off since there's no "12v ignition-controlled" feed.
As long as I remember to turn it on (and off later) it works perfectly. Dunno how to automate the power since the 5v outlet is live all the time.

I've had a dash cam on all my cars for at least the past 10 years; wouldn't be without one

Thought occurs to me: you ought to try the Tesla Dash Cam before deciding not to have an add-on / assuming it is fine.

Compared to no Dash Cam its great of course - in-built, just plug in a USB stick etc. But an add-on is not the same beast.

Sentry Mode uses a lot of juice. Add-on DashCam will be trivial in that regard.

The side cameras are great to collar someone who keyed your car ...

I find the quality not great. I had a big truck chuck up a stone and crack my windscreen. The dash cam footage, examined frame by frame, didn't show it.

(Possible tip on that, when you press "Keep that clip" button a fair chunk of footage is stored. If safe to do so might be worth stopping immediately after such an event, as that will make it easier to "find" the exact moment).

Unless it has changed? there are also gaps in the footage - between sections. That can cause it to miss a vital snippet.

But the surround cameras can be handy ... I have footage from France of a driver coming up behind me at speed on Autobahn (all lanes in use) and then using a slip road for a nearside overtake ... combining rear, side and front cameras :)

Reactions: MrBadger
Thought occurs to me: you ought to try the Tesla Dash Cam before deciding not to have an add-on / assuming it is fine.

I am not looking to install a dash cam just for the quality fo the picture, I want the speed camera alert that comes withthe cam (and I have a cam inthe garage that I toook off my car). It seems that the solution is a separate pewer sourse e.g. Cellink NEO 6 Dash Cam Power Source, I am investiagting cheaper options on the dash cam forum. If I end up fittingthis cam I will report back on here with pic to help others / if anyone on here as done this already tell me what you did and why.

I have installed a Nextbase 622GW with front and rear cameras. I don’t rely on the Teslacam for a number of reasons:
The image quality is very poor
There is no integrated audio - strange because there is a mic in the car
There is no speed or GPS stamp
Saving clips is very hit and miss
On playback huge chunks of footage are missing.

With the extra cameras Teslacam has the potential to be one of the best on the market, though I doubt anything can be done about the poor resolution of the cameras. But like many things done by Tesla it is very poorly implemented. I can’t complain because I didn’t pay for it, but there’s no way I would rely on it.

Reactions: david1701
I have installed a Nextbase 622GW with front and rear cameras. I don’t rely on the Teslacam for a number of reasons:
The image quality is very poor
There is no integrated audio - strange because there is a mic in the car
There is no speed or GPS stamp
Saving clips is very hit and miss
On playback huge chunks of footage are missing.

With the extra cameras Teslacam has the potential to be one of the best on the market, though I doubt anything can be done about the poor resolution of the cameras. But like many things done by Tesla it is very poorly implemented. I can’t complain because I didn’t pay for it, but there’s no way I would rely on it.
Surely getting NCB protection is a cheaper alternative?

But like many things done by Tesla it is very poorly implemented

I have a different view. The cameras are not intended for visuals (reversing camera maybe). Their intent is to process data locally and transmit information about objects that they detect to the main processing unit. It then turns out that some bright spark discovered that they could get a reasonable video signal, and route it to the USB ports already in the car (up to that point only useful for charging devices, and playing music from USB). So that was a freebie benefit of OTA updates - I bought a car without that ability and woke up one morning to find it had been added.

Not intended to be a dashcam replacement, more just a side effect they discovered was possible. And it led to plenty of Tesla / EV haters in USA getting their collars felt 'coz they were ignorant of Sentry Mode. Maybe it has led to those sorts of people avoiding Tesla - in which case its performing a useful service.