Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla dashboard design team

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: 1208
My first inpression of the outside of the car was almost total shock. I really like the entire styling of the car EXCEPT for the flat nose. But then the more I saw photos the more it is growing on me. I really like the headlights. I can't say I like the wheels too much but that is easily resolved.

Then when they showed the inside I about had a heart attack. The outside is so sexy and sporty and the inside looks like a rip off of the BMW i3. I am going to out on a limb and say I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in the interior of that car. It just seems so uninviting to me. I am pretty disappointed. I understand it is a prototype and I hope the entire dash and console gets redesigned before production. I dislike it that much. I love cockpit feel interiors and I really feel like they dropped the ball by showing the car with the interior in this state.

The steering wheel instantly reminded me of a 2000 Ford F-150 steering wheel and that's not good. Perhaps they'll wow me but I really dislike the interior and frankly that is where I'll see the car from the most...

• Disagree
Reactions: Quant
Ok ! Please go make your own EV with equivalent specs and price , will you ?

Oh, sorry, you can't make anything? Can you ? Maybe we'll get to see your Dummy car ? Soon ?

Behold! The Model T, that I invented:

N9cD9Y7.jpg

but I expect that Tesla will keep the minimalist design.

Minimalism has its place, it's not automatically the best thing for all situations. I'm far more annoyed by having a TV in my face while driving than a few buttons I can completely ignore. The frustrating thing is that the Model 3 seems by all aspects the perfect car for me. I drive electric since 2 years and I love it. I've followed Tesla since the first web page went up and I think what they have achieved, and what they have pushed other automakers to achieve, is phenomenal. As much as one can love a corporate entity, I love Tesla. But I also spend the time I'm driving IN the car, the dashboard is important to me. Not just the functionality of it (for a dashboard I believe functionality should be vastly more important than wanting to make everything minimalist), but most importantly not having a TV in my face. While trying to enjoy the drive. I was already not a big fan of the Model S/X dash and I think the Model 3 one is heading even more in this, in my opinion, very wrong direction.

By the time the cars are getting delivered, you won't need to spend much time driving it yourself.

I do want a car that has autopilot so when I am frustrated in traffic I can turn it on and just sit and drink my coffee. That is ideal. At the same time I want a sporty car with a cockpit feel so when I feel like ripping up a country road and tossing the car around I can. That is the entire reason I think the world was waiting for an affordable Tesla. Up until now all electric cars seem utilitarian. The Tesla is sexy and sporty and I think they dropped the ball on the driver experience from inside honestly. If I wanted utilitarian I would buy a i3 or a Bolt. I want sexy and sporty!

I do want a car that has autopilot so when I am frustrated in traffic I can turn it on and just sit and drink my coffee. That is ideal. At the same time I want a sporty car with a cockpit feel so when I feel like ripping up a country road and tossing the car around I can. That is the entire reason I think the world was waiting for an affordable Tesla. Up until now all electric cars seem utilitarian. The Tesla is sexy and sporty and I think they dropped the ball on the driver experience from inside honestly. If I wanted utilitarian I would buy a i3 or a Bolt. I want sexy and sporty!

Say it with me kids.....

Pro-to-type

Elon even said that this launch was "Part 1" and Part 2 would be closer to Production.

Relax. The vehicle's outer looks will likely be 99% what you see here. (But I could see them reworking that back section of glass into a hatch. rather than a trunk) So there's your sexy. Sporty? Covered by the big battery and AWD

But it still needs to be somewhat USEFUL inside, so we'll wait and see what they cook up.

Reactions: anticitizen13.7
I saw that the prototype Model 3 has a full length center console between the seats. I wonder if that is a good idea, maybe it would be better to have the area between the front seats be completely open like on a Model S? Maybe make the console a dealer installed option?

Well, not a DEALER installed option. A Tesla Store installed option, you know what I mean.

Say it with me kids.....

Pro-to-type

Elon even said that this launch was "Part 1" and Part 2 would be closer to Production.

Relax. The vehicle's outer looks will likely be 99% what you see here. (But I could see them reworking that back section of glass into a hatch. rather than a trunk) So there's your sexy. Sporty? Covered by the big battery and AWD

But it still needs to be somewhat USEFUL inside, so we'll wait and see what they cook up.

I'll be saying that for a year and a half! The outside really is growing on me but the inside is such a disappointment. "Pro-to-type" "Pro-to-type". Even though everyone is saying the inside isn't product (which I agree) I think it is important for us to express our opinions so if they for some reason think this is the interior basic design they'll maybe get the idea it isn't wanted.

My first inpression of the outside of the car was almost total shock. I really like the entire styling of the car EXCEPT for the flat nose.

I do want a car that has autopilot so when I am frustrated in traffic I can turn it on and just sit and drink my coffee. That is ideal. At the same time I want a sporty car with a cockpit feel so when I feel like ripping up a country road and tossing the car around I can. That is the entire reason I think the world was waiting for an affordable Tesla.

Bingo. My automotive soulmate.

Yes, the flat front nose seems like a bug in the Autodesk software used to design it. The rest is stunning, beautiful, sexy. Love the headlights.

If they put a Model S or Model X dashboard, then they have higher cost as it has a lot more to is. By putting 1 Single screen and not having the typical dashboard hump behind the steering wheel, Tesla can save money which allows them to get down to the $35K price.

Form, Function, Cost....all three seem to be taken into consideration!

Reactions: PaulJB and 1208
I'll be saying that for a year and a half! The outside really is growing on me but the inside is such a disappointment. "Pro-to-type" "Pro-to-type". Even though everyone is saying the inside isn't product (which I agree) I think it is important for us to express our opinions so if they for some reason think this is the interior basic design they'll maybe get the idea it isn't wanted.

My gut feeling here is two fold:

1. there will be some sort of gauge cluster, as US DOT regulations mandate it (pretty sure....) and Tesla fought the good fight on external mirrors, yet there they are on the prototypes.

2. The reason we didn't get to see the cluster? Probably because it's still in development on the hardware and software sides. Internal hardware and the accompanying software are much easier for a company like Tesla than exterior design/drivetrain. The fact that they have driveable pre-prod models should make us all giddy as fans, future owners, and investors. This means they can turn the geeks loose on the user experience now.

I can't wait.

Reactions: AnalysiZ
Completely disagree with the OP. I thought the interior was a true testament to what Tesla stands for. Minimalist and futurist, I wouldn't change a thing about it. The lines are so clean and beautiful. I actually liked the interior much more than the exterior. I wish the Model S interior starts evolving into something similar as well.

Also, that Merc interior is fugly.

If they put a Model S or Model X dashboard, then they have higher cost as it has a lot more to is. By putting 1 Single screen and not having the typical dashboard hump behind the steering wheel, Tesla can save money which allows them to get down to the $35K price.

Form, Function, Cost....all three seem to be taken into consideration!

I completely disagree. They don't need a fancy alcantara or leather lined dashboard like the X or S but standard dashboards can be had in a Kia so I disagree they have to have a flat piece of plastic across the entire car to cut costs...

My gut feeling here is two fold:

1. there will be some sort of gauge cluster, as US DOT regulations mandate it (pretty sure....) and Tesla fought the good fight on external mirrors, yet there they are on the prototypes.

2. The reason we didn't get to see the cluster? Probably because it's still in development on the hardware and software sides. Internal hardware and the accompanying software are much easier for a company like Tesla than exterior design/drivetrain. The fact that they have driveable pre-prod models should make us all giddy as fans, future owners, and investors. This means they can turn the geeks loose on the user experience now.

I can't wait.

Thanks for helping me off the ledge. I really dislike the dash that much. I might even decide to live with it if it stays the way it is but I really was hoping for more sporty cockpit fill and was extremely disappointed.

I completely disagree. They don't need a fancy alcantara or leather lined dashboard like the X or S but standard dashboards can be had in a Kia so I disagree they have to have a flat piece of plastic across the entire car to cut costs...

Thanks for helping me off the ledge. I really dislike the dash that much. I might even decide to live with it if it stays the way it is but I really was hoping for more sporty cockpit fill and was extremely disappointed.

It may be new and funky, maybe smaller than we're all used to, but it's not completely going away.

As far as talking you off the ledge, I think we're transitioning into a support group for each other....to get us all through the long wait we've all just signed up for......