Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla dashboard design team

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The interior is nearly 100% locked in at this late stage of development. There may be some minor tweaks and refinements, but the screen is here to stay. Indeed, listen to the various videos of test drives -- the engineers were asked repeatedly -- and confirmed -- that the screen was in integral part of the entire design of the car. Removing the gauge cluster and vents (the car does indeed use an innovative Dyson-like ventilation system) allows lowering the dash, which facilitates lowering the hood, which in turn lowers the coefficient of drag.

I admit that I also prefer manual controls and gauges, but I think the benefits of the Model 3 will be worth it. Like the grille-less front end, its time to move beyond the century-old paradigm of ICE-driven vehicles and embrace the new world of electric transport.

Bingo. My automotive soulmate.

Yes, the flat front nose seems like a bug in the Autodesk software used to design it. The rest is stunning, beautiful, sexy. Love the headlights.
The flat nose was the only thing I didn't like about the exterior but I think it won't look as bad/big once you slap a license plate on it. As to the interior, The reason there's no dash display is so there's not a big hump to shade glare on it. As Elon mentioned at the reveal, this allows the dash to be pushed forward which creates space for more leg room. That said, I still would want at least a HUD for basic standard information.

Reactions: pmich80
If there's something consistent with tesla, and that's if you're actually paying attention, is that historically their interiors change a lot from the prototypes to the production cars. Expect refinements when the final production car is unveiled next year. The center screen however is staying where it is and it's landscape. The test drivers at the event confirmed this.

The interior is nearly 100% locked in at this late stage of development. There may be some minor tweaks and refinements, but the screen is here to stay. Indeed, listen to the various videos of test drives -- the engineers were asked repeatedly -- and confirmed -- that the screen was in integral part of the entire design of the car. Removing the gauge cluster and vents (the car does indeed use an innovative Dyson-like ventilation system) allows lowering the dash, which facilitates lowering the hood, which in turn lowers the coefficient of drag.

I admit that I also prefer manual controls and gauges, but I think the benefits of the Model 3 will be worth it. Like the grille-less front end, its time to move beyond the century-old paradigm of ICE-driven vehicles and embrace the new world of electric transport.

I'm very carefully pausing the intro video where the 3D CAD schematics are displayed behind Elon, there's a lot of Gold in there. They show the structure, wiring, battery. I'll rewatch and see if I can glean some information on the HVAC system.

I love this morph:

Tesla Model 3 to Model S morph

Reactions: ucla107 and rabar10
I love the M3 dash/screen design. I hope it stays true to the prototype and I suspect it will. One of the higher-ups at the launch said there would be no conventional instrument cluster and that the prototype screen was the design going forward. It's far superior to manufacture as well for right and left hand drive cars. I think it's awesome.

Reactions: cdub
I saw that the prototype Model 3 has a full length center console between the seats. I wonder if that is a good idea, maybe it would be better to have the area between the front seats be completely open like on a Model S? Maybe make the console a dealer installed option?

Have you been paying attention that the Model S now comes standard with a full length center console? (It is no longer an option.)

Have you been paying attention that the Model S now comes standard with a full length center console? (It is no longer an option.)

One of my biggest complaints with my current car is the Germans' utter lack of acknowledging larger American cup/drink sizes.

And yes, since the Model 3 is going to be the family car for a lot of people, it needs to hold things. It will have a console, it will have cupholders.

Elon is trying to help us all reduce our carbon footprint and bring down CO2 levels, but I don't think he's going to take away Big Gulps or large iced coffees from us.

First things first, let's get rid of the retro steering wheel. It looks so out of place

The 2-spoke steering wheel was actually considered futuristic about 10 years ago. The 8th Generation Honda Civic (which was shocking for a compact car in late 2005) used a similar design:

2006-honda-civic-hybrid-cvt-steering-wheel_100294267_m.jpg

If there's something consistent with tesla, and that's if you're actually paying attention, is that historically their interiors change a lot from the prototypes to the production cars. Expect refinements when the final production car is unveiled next year. The center screen however is staying where it is and it's landscape. The test drivers at the event confirmed this.

Agreed completely.

I think people need to calm down and keep in mind that the Model 3 shown yesterday is a PROTOTYPE. Go back and look at the Model S and Model X prototype interiors from 2010 and 2012 respectively. The changes in aesthetics are substantial in the final production models.

Even just from looking at the "cupholder" circle cutouts, it is clear that the interior is far from finished. Think of it as a fuzzy drawing that is slowly being brought into focus.

I trust that Tesla will take ergonomics into account when finalizing the information displays (which could include HUD) over the next 18 months. There is no reason to think that they would deliberately use an interface that makes things difficult for the driver.

I do expect that Model 3 will have a clean, minimalist interior. Tesla has always done minimalist. They have never had opulent interiors.

It's interesting to listen to different perspectives and thoughts on the dash of the Model 3. Having lived with my Model S for over 3 years, I can say that I love the minimalist dash approach. I suppose moving from a traditional ICE with lots of gauges and indicators, that moving to something this different is quite a shock

People are inherently resistant to big changes. Going from that Merc shot in the OP is REALLY different that a simple clean dash with one square 15" display. Going from the Model S to the Model 3, is still a change, but to a much lesser degree.

I think over time, people will grow to enjoy the interior of this car.

It's interesting to listen to different perspectives and thoughts on the dash of the Model 3. Having lived with my Model S for over 3 years, I can say that I love the minimalist dash approach. I suppose moving from a traditional ICE with lots of gauges and indicators, that moving to something this different is quite a shock

People are inherently resistant to big changes. Going from that Merc shot in the OP is REALLY different that a simple clean dash with one square 15" display. Going from the Model S to the Model 3, is still a change, but to a much lesser degree.

you make a good point: some are reluctant to let go of the traditional instrument cluster, while completely forgetting that it displays things that are obsolete in an EV.

Engine temp? Oil pressure warning lights? Fuel gauge?

No....now we are getting the universally recognizable battery charge level icon, kWh used rather than fuel gauge. etc etc

I would like to see a small screen in the traditional spot, though. Maybe with the Autopilot display of vehicles around you, status, etc...similar to the S and X.

I agree with this for the most part. But, you really require something in front of the driver. A small HUD would be fine. I'm not likely to ever buy a model 3 - but if they ever completely eliminate the driver display in the Model S, I'm going to really struggle. I need the speed and at least a few basic indicators in front of me.