Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor The Tire Rack and Axis wheels bring you the new Model MS in 21" !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you guys have questions i can help. My uncle is the owner of axis wheels and i have driven the vehicle often enough to answer questions. They have been on the vehicle for about 13 thousand miles now and have hand no problems with the down town LA pot holes.

How do these compare with the Tesla factory 21" turbine wheels? Like as to weight, materials and construction? I can't find any specific information on the Tesla site.

According to TR, the Axis wheels are just over 34 lbs and are low pressure cast, which is to be expected at their price point, but if the Tesla wheels are the same, then these are a real bargain.

Last edited:
How do these compare with the Tesla factory 21" turbine wheels? Like as to weight, materials and construction? I can't find any specific information on the Tesla site.

According to TR, the Axis wheels are just over 34 lbs and are low pressure cast, which is to be expected at their price point, but if the Tesla wheels are the same, then these are a real bargain.

We've never weighed (any) OE wheels for comparison unfortunately. I can tell you that the 245/35R21 Conti Extreme Contact DW averages 26 lbs. and the Sport Contact 5 averages 27 lbs. so if you ever get the urge to pop a wheel off and put it on the bathroom scale let me know ! LOL

Has anyone picked up a set of these? I'm pretty interested in getting my 19" winter set off and a spring/summer set installed. Doc, what tire(s) do you suggest with the 21's?

We are starting to get some good feedback on the Continental SportContact5 (with the ContiSilent technology), but for my money the Conti Extreme Contact DW is the best bang for the buck. We have had great luck with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports as well, but I can't get those back in stock for at least eight weeks.

Doc (or anyone else):

1. Do you have a side-by-side photo of the Axis MS compared to the OEM rims?
2. How do you rate the Conti Extreme Contact against the Michelin Pilot Super Sports?

1) We have not had the opportunity to do a side-by-side compare, sorry !

2) It's been a while, but we did compare the two head to head in Summer 2011, in a test we called "Clash of the Titans" :

Read the full results here; but here's the summary

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17 91Y)
  • What We Liked: Responsive steering and confidence-inspiring handling
  • What We'd Improve: A little more ultimate grip in the dry and wet
  • Conclusion: A capable tire that feels great from behind the wheel

Continental ExtremeContact DW (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17 91W)

• What We Liked: Comfortable road manners
  • What We'd Improve: Sharpen steering response and handling precision
  • Conclusion: Plenty of ultimate grip with very good ride quality

Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17 94Y)

• What We Liked: "Wow" handling and ultimate traction
  • What We'd Improve: Soften the ride just a little on big bumps to make everyday commuting more civilized
  • Conclusion: This is the new super star in the Max Performance Summer category

Pirelli P Zero (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17 94Y)

• What We Liked: Composed road manners and handling
  • What We'd Improve: Reduce tread noise somewhat
  • Conclusion: An older but still capable tire that can't quite match the capability of newer tires

ssversusDW.jpg

Last edited:
if you ever get the urge to pop a wheel off and put it on the bathroom scale let me know !

OEM Tesla 21x9" Turbine without TPMS and no center cap 36.6 lbs.

doc, Ron_

Whoever comes out with a high-quality (made in USA or Europe) 20x9", 64mm CB, 35-40mm ET, OEM accepting wheel lugs and caps, Turbine style wheel will NOT be able to keep up with the demand. ANY Model S owner that has been around motor sports knows that the 20" wheel/tire combination is the true high performance option and not the silly, heavy, expensive, inefficient, limited tire selection, damage-prone, alignment sensitive, rubber-band, rapper 21's. I have never spent so much time, energy, babysitting, and experimenting with various custom suspension componentry to achieve an acceptable service life on my pretty, low-performance, *fail* 21's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bennny
I approached them at last years TMC. He told me that they have no plans to offer their 19 Turbines in a 20". I am just speculating that they don't want their successful 19's to be canabilized.

Makes no sense at all. They'd be selling a ton more rims than they are now selling just the 19"s. Sure, they might sell less 19" rims, but they'd be selling lots of 20"s in their place.

I don't know what the additional R&D is to essentially copy their TSTs from 19" to 20", but it can't be nearly as much as developing the 19"s in the first place.

Todd initiated a poll regarding 20" Turbines a while back which confirmed the demand for this elegant, factory appearing, high-performance, sweet-spot wheel/tire combination. I would chuck all my sets of the problematic 21's if this option became available!

Last edited:
+1000 to making these in 20". I would buy one set without hesitation.

I want to return to a staggered setup. I don't care about rotating tires. I love the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They are not available in a 265/30R21 size. I kept my 9" rear wheels and have 245's on the rear. I can buy Michelin Pilot Super Sports 265/35ZR20/XL to use on 20" wheels with 9" width. This would be ideal. I want 20 in grey turbine wheels similar to my grey 21 in wheels. I have about 16k mi on my Pilot Super Sport tires, and the SC just measured them. They have 5 mm tread depth all around. This includes 6000 miles on the road ( recent road trip) with a low suspension setting. I lowered my P85+ to allow the low setting to be the same height as when the car was shipped in May 2013. A firmware revision increased the low suspension setting ground clearance. A lowering kit allowed me to revert to the pre-firmware ground clearance. I have the "Tank Mode" update to prevent road objects from piercing my battery; therefore, I have no qualms about the original height setting. The recent tire tread depth measurement gives me confidence that the low setting isn't degrading my tire life appreciably.

OEM Tesla 21x9" Turbine without TPMS and no center cap 36.6 lbs.

doc, Ron_

Whoever comes out with a high-quality (made in USA or Europe) 20x9", 64mm CB, 35-40mm ET, OEM accepting wheel lugs and caps, Turbine style wheel will NOT be able to keep up with the demand. ANY Model S owner that has been around motor sports knows that the 20" wheel/tire combination is the true high performance option and not the silly, heavy, expensive, inefficient, limited tire selection, damage-prone, alignment sensitive, rubber-band, rapper 21's. I have never spent so much time, energy, babysitting, and experimenting with various custom suspension componentry to achieve an acceptable service life on my pretty, low-performance, *fail* 21's.

The feedback is greatly appreciated, and has been passed along to our Wheel Masterminds....... I'll be the first to know if we can accommodate !

doc,

As you know, all the OEM Tesla wheels (19x8, 21x8.5, 21x9) are cut on a 40mm ET. Since the front upper strut angles slightly outboard as it goes downs towards the spindle/hub assembly, a 20x9" with a ~35ET ought to provide the necessary clearance. There is plenty of room in the rear.

btw, pls say "hi" to Jim H. for me.

Axis 21s

Here's my car now featuring the Axis 21's, a little window tint, and the China-Direct Amazon.com carbon fiber spoiler. :love: I was all set to buy the OEM 21s, but the more aggressive turbine blade on the Axis looks so good [to me] on the Model S. I like that is looks a little more "angry".
ModelSAxis21s.jpg

Reactions: Hoffa