Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The total Tesla M3 experience. Happy or disappointed?

What is your take on the total Tesla M3 experience?

• Totally happy, call me a fan

Votes: 188 81.0%
  • Fine car, I would probably buy one again

Votes: 29 12.5%
  • Disappointed, I was expecting so much more

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Stop nagging me

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We wanted an electric car that would become our chariot in retirement. (My wife just did; give me another year.) We wanted zero emissions, ability to drive all over North America, reasonable comfort, and great safety.

We reserved on Day Two and got our Model 3 in July 2018.

Over 24,000 miles later, I'm delighted. I still look for excuses to drive the car. Is it perfect? No. But it does keep getting better. My Honda didn't have that trick! I'm still not a "car guy." But I guess I've become a Tesla guy. I gave rides to curious folks at one of the recent National Drive Electric Week events. My wife was the dispatcher volunteer.

So, yeah, call me a fan!

Thanks all for your comments. I see most of you focus on the sales side of the experience and I agree it is only a small part of the total time I will own or drive the car. But i can not help but see this also as a reference for the service organization I might (better not) need in the future.

I am still wondering about your opinion and satisfaction with the software side of the car. I must admit I’m a huge gadget freak so not easy to satisfy. But from a car made in 2019 i expect better working features then from one made in 2012. Especially if that car was conceived in Silicon Valley, the home of much of the digital world we live in. And that is simply not the case.

The driving dynamics of the car are amazing! Better than any car I've owned. The fit & finish and road noise are a little disappointing. It may be priced similar to a BMW 3 series, but it's not quite in the same class when it comes to luxury.

That being said I'm a huge nerd so all the technology is a lot of fun. I've been playing with the API and have a couple ideas I might try if I can find some free time.

Yes, I hated the purchasing process. There's no doubt that Tesla really needs to up their game regarding customer service, and the entire entry process into the Tesla World. Yes, they have a lot of room for improvement. But doesn't *every* car manufacturer out there have room for improvement? OK, so Tesla has a lot more room than most of them... ;)

Build quality? Aesthetic problems, yes. Actual build quality on the stuff that matters? From all the videos I've watched of guys tearing Teslas apart, Tesla is doing it right.

Service? Stories abound from both sides of the spectrum. They're working on it, so look for it to improve over time. Just like their cars do.

Driving? Absolutely the finest car I've ever driven.

AP, FSD? Beta, and should be treated and evaluated as such.

As to the car itself, I love it. No, it's not the prettiest Belle at the Ball, but she ain't exactly homely, either.

TL;DR: 10/10 would Tesla again.

Thanks all for your comments. I see most of you focus on the sales side of the experience and I agree it is only a small part of the total time I will own or drive the car. But i can not help but see this also as a reference for the service organization I might (better not) need in the future.

I am still wondering about your opinion and satisfaction with the software side of the car. I must admit I’m a huge gadget freak so not easy to satisfy. But from a car made in 2019 i expect better working features then from one made in 2012. Especially if that car was conceived in Silicon Valley, the home of much of the digital world we live in. And that is simply not the case.

I don't share your opinion of the software or AP features at all.
Traded in a 2015 Acura, other car in the garage is a 2018 BWM X3
The tech and software in the Telsa is vastly superior to either of these vehicles which are both in the luxury segment.
Both of those vehicles cost similar to a Model 3.

In the US the Telsa is similarly priced to EV cars that look like they are econo boxes with a $25K battery inside. There is no competition, literally. The new EV competition which looks good is priced way higher.

Love the front look of the Model 3 as well, looks like a Porsche design to me. The side and back I don't care for much but overall it is a nice looking car that drives amazingly, saves me money on gas, is better for the environment and has enough tech to keep my interest and improve my commute.

Yes, I hated the purchasing process. There's no doubt that Tesla really needs to up their game regarding customer service, and the entire entry process into the Tesla World. Yes, they have a lot of room for improvement. But doesn't *every* car manufacturer out there have room for improvement? OK, so Tesla has a lot more room than most of them... ;)

Other than lack of communication while I was waiting for it to be built the purchase process for me was way better than any other car I've bought. Pay a deposit with a credit card online, wait until it's ready to be picked up, sign paperwork online, pay remaining balance via bank transfer, show up, sign a few things with real ink, drive away. Was the easiest car buying experience I've ever had.

My last car I bought online to, but via a traditional dealer about 500 miles away. The whole process required multiple phone calls, dozens of emails, and several FedEx envelopes. Also took almost 4 months from order to delivery.

Reactions: MaSansky
Very satisfied with the car. The car is awesome and I’m buying a second one. Not satisfied with the company or service. The delivery experience and treatment was worse than you’d get at a shady buy here pay here used car lot. People who are used to being treated like royalty (and not already fanboys) by other high end auto manufacturers will probably cancel their orders.

I am still a little pissed at Tesla for lying about FSD being more expensive later if I didn’t buy now and then giving it to people who didn’t buying much cheaper than what I paid—not to mention lowing the cars values. I guess it’s fine as I’ve made much more off TSLA stock by short selling and swing trading it.

Personal background: self employed professional in strategy and organisational transformations. I work all over the country and used to drive 60.000 km/year for work. I have brought this down towards app. 35.000 km in order to be able to switch to EV. Have chosen a Tesla M3 because of the range, size, price/taxes and availability.

Personal background: Technology sales executive, work all over the country (USA), mostly out of state. When not traveling, I work out of a home office. Drive approximately 15,000 miles/year for work. Chose a Model 3 because I didn't need the size of my Cadillac XT5 (SUV), its lease was coming due, and my customers LOVE high technology.

- the online buying experience:
Ordered my Model 3 online on April 9th. Was matched with a VIN number on the 14th, could've picked up on the 16th but was traveling for work.

- the car delivery experience:
I picked up on the 19th. Had a choice of home delivery or center pickup; I chose the center. Vehicle was fully charged, detailed and the advisor spent an hour reviewing the car with us. Conclusion: Best vehicle purchase experience I've ever had.

- the design of the car:
Subjective, but I'm very happy. Build quality is very good, no concerns. Conclusion: Very satisfied.

- the functionality of the car:
I've never driven a car that makes me this happy. That said - my prior Cadillac had some functions Model 3 does not (360 camera, rearview mirror camera, seat-shaking alerts, in-mirror blind spot alerts, etc.). All that said - I'd trade ALL of that for Autopilot. It's made driving - especially in traffic - MUCH less stressful. Amazing stuff. Conclusion: A HOME RUN.

- the drive:
No more to be said. Conclusion: OUTSTANDING

- quality and after sales service:
Zero concerns. I had a small wind noise concern that the service center took care of right away. The followups were right on time, and was exactly what I'd expect from a service center. Conclusion: Very satisfied.

So -- nope, I don't agree. I'm thrilled with the car; and in fact the results of your poll seem to align with every customer satisfaction survey I've ever seen around Tesla.... all of which say they make customers happier than any other brand, bar none.

That's a joke, right?

Name one other car that can over-the-air update itself, add features, functions and correct issues, while I sleep at night.

It's the only vehicle ever made that's BETTER the 2nd day you own it.

I cannot call into question people's individual experiences, but there are two things I find weird or even disingenuous in the list of things.

1. Looks - That's subjective, but kinda strange to complain that you dislike someone on a car that was very visible prior to order and purchase. If you didn't like it, I have to wonder why you bought one.

2. Technology - Like the post above, please give us even a single example of a car with better technology. My TACC works great, auto lane change is very good, autosteer is very good and gets better and better, the navigation and entertainment system is terrific, and new features are constantly added like enhanced summon (that will improve over time). I'd just like to see some context about what you consider better, because I'm not aware of it.

[...]
2. Technology - Like the post above, please give us even a single example of a car with better technology. My TACC works great, auto lane change is very good, autosteer is very good and gets better and better, the navigation and entertainment system is terrific, and new features are constantly added like enhanced summon (that will improve over time). I'd just like to see some context about what you consider better, because I'm not aware of it.

How about those automatic windshield wipers?

Tesla gets some things very right, but also gets some things pretty wrong.

I enjoy my Model 3 and love the technology. But Tesla is still lacking if you ever get into an accident and the car needs body work, there's not enough certified body shops and parts delays. With as many Tesla's that are on the road today, you'd think they would have many more body shops.

I cannot call into question people's individual experiences, but there are two things I find weird or even disingenuous in the list of things.

1. Looks - That's subjective, but kinda strange to complain that you dislike someone on a car that was very visible prior to order and purchase. If you didn't like it, I have to wonder why you bought one.

1. Totally agree. But I didn't buy the car for the looks. If you read a bit further my concerns are about the built quality. The gaps, the opportunities for road debris and rust to collect, the (in my case) tail lights not alligned, the back window not properly aligned with the truck cover, the charge port open to the elements, etc.

2. Have you read the post? My observations were compared to my 2012 BMW 3-series with DCC and an extra € 100 TomTom because I need up-to-date maps and live traffic information. This worked flawless here and not in the Tesla. Apart from the programmable buttons. Which I didn't need as the import functions all had buttons with actual tactile feedback so I could keep my eyes on the road.
- the functionality of the car: Why does it seem as if Tesla wants to invent the wheel over and over on all aspects of a modern car? From non-functioning automatic windshield wipers to missing electronic trunk opening to an afraid-of-trucks constant emergency braking cruise control with unable-to-change-lanes auto steer (please, do not call this pre-'00s functionality an autopilot!) and total unawareness of halted traffic or traffic signs, to navigation without programmable routes or alternatives or stopovers or traffic overview or parking places near the destination or accurate speed limits or accurate road works or speed traps (everything my € 100 TomTom from 2006 does perfectly well), no way to scroll or search through your telephone contacts, no voice commands it actually understands, no way to program the pitiful scroll buttons on the steering wheel, etc.

Last edited:
That's a joke, right?

Name one other car that can over-the-air update itself, add features, functions and correct issues, while I sleep at night.

It's the only vehicle ever made that's BETTER the 2nd day you own it.
Not a joke. Just an inquiry. Over the air updates are great. I expect a lot from them. I even crave them because the current functionality (V10) is lacking. My car is a productivity tool. Not a gadget or an experiment. But I am looking forward to all the updates.

My Tesla store (Cleveland Ohio) was not very responsive when it comes to answering the phone, but my car came within two weeks of ordering and had no noticeable problems with it. I had to drive from Michigan to Ohio, about a 3 hour drive for me, to get it, so that was annoying.

But I didn't have to sit in a dealership and deal with idiot salespersons. The sales staff and test driving experience was great, delivery was frustrating at times but I knew what I was getting into.

The ONLY thing that annoy me about the car is the inability to read text messages to me, and the various autopilot quirks (which is an industry wide problem with these systems). I expect both concerns to be addressed over time.

Also, when I had to get my rear bumper replaced due to a low speed minor accident, it took 6 weeks for the part to come to the body shop.

Last edited:
How about those automatic windshield wipers?

Tesla gets some things very right, but also gets some things pretty wrong.
Things like the auto wipers have me confused. I have read many people who claim they are absolute crap, but mine are totally fine. I literally have not touched the wiper controls in the last 3 months. (yes, I have driven in the rain) I agree when I first got the car a year ago, it wasn't the best, but I think they work great now.

When people ask what I think about the car, I make a point about how it does everything automatically. I rarely if ever touch the HVAC controls, the wipers, the headlights including high beams, garage door opener. Basically I need to put it gear, pick what I want to listen to and start autopilot when I want to use it.

I'm just super curious is it all about different expectations? what's fine for me is unacceptable for you? or does it actually behave differently on different cars?

• Love
Reactions: focher and dmurphy
Things like the auto wipers have me confused. I have read many people who claim they are absolute crap, but mine are totally fine. I literally have not touched the wiper controls in the last 3 months. (yes, I have driven in the rain) I agree when I first got the car a year ago, it wasn't the best, but I think they work great now.

When people ask what I think about the car, I make a point about how it does everything automatically. I rarely if ever touch the HVAC controls, the wipers, the headlights including high beams, garage door opener. Basically I need to put it gear, pick what I want to listen to and start autopilot when I want to use it.

I'm just super curious is it all about different expectations? what's fine for me is unacceptable for you? or does it actually behave differently on different cars?
My auto wipers work fine, I never touch the climate control since it has auto mode (unless temp needs to change), I engage AP when I want, change music when I want. The car as a whole is acceptable for what it is - a fantastic EV ahead of the others.