Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The value of PPF (Paint Protection Film)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately many of you face the daunting tasks that so many of my clients face when receiving delivery and/or purchasing their Tesla. That task is to not only find A) the right product but also B) the right shop that will take care of your car, not damage it or rip you off with some "Snake Oil" product.

With so many products and so many shops offering various combinations of products its very very easy to jump down the rabbit hole so to speak when doing research on what truly is "Best". The more time you spend scouring the internet and forums for answers the more lost you become.

Detailers will use a product line for many different reasons, unfortunately those reasons aren't always aligned with truly what is best for you or your car. So this is my plea, find the RIGHT INSTALLER and the rest does not matter. The right installer will guide you down the path to truly finding what is the best product/service for you and your car. Not just sell you on what is easy or most profitable to install.

How do you find the RIGHT INSTALLER?

-Check online reviews, find shops that have multiple 5 star reviews, read good reviews and bad reviews. Find content on various sources of media such as forums, Facebook posts or Instagram posts. Oftentimes if they are not keeping up with many of these they aren't staying up to date with the happenings of our industry.

-Call and ask questions such as, "What do YOU recommend for my vehicle?" then see where they take it. Good shops will ask you questions about the car, how it will be used, maintained etc. etc. This will help them tailor packages that will fit your needs best. If they simply say XYZ brand or product and its this much... I'd continue my research.

-See the work IN PERSON if possible. This is oftentimes the deciding factor that can make or break a good installation, photos from far away, out of direct light can hide flaws or defects from poor workmanship.

-Finally, ask around. Chances are other owners have had similar services done on their vehicles and can share first hand experience.

Hope that helps! If anyone has any questions or needs help being pointed in the right direction I am just an email or phone call away.

Ordered my S today and I was thinking about something like this. How much does it cost? From your experience I can see it is a good investment

Congrats and hopefully it comes in soon!

Keep in mind these are what we typically see across the country and it can vary with these factors:

- Where you live

- Demand for paint protection film

- Size of your vehicle

For a partial front end: This includes 18-24” up the hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $895 - $1,195.

For full front coverage: This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $1,895 - $2,195.

For full car coverage: This includes every painted surface on the car possible. This ranges from $4,500 - $8,000.

I have been reading so much about PPF the last few weeks my head is spinning. Expel Ultimate, Suntek, Clearguard Nano, Opti Coat Plus/Pro, Cquartz Finest, Modesta....OMG (that's not a product, btw, just my exasperation showing).

I understand the value of a film and how it can protect the car from rock chips, door dings, etc. but when people also get their car film coated with Opti Coat or one of the other top coatings...I get confused. Is that really necessary? Or is it b/c these folks want a higher gloss factor. I thought the film was supposed to also make the car easier to clean...??

Guess I'm not so concerned about seeing the lines from the edges of the wrap where it cannot be tucked under...it wouldn't bother me when I'm driving. But what I would be concerned about is whether or not the car's paint color will wear evenly over time if the entire car is not wrapped. For example, if I choose only to wrap the front end of the car, hood, fenders, and doors...will the rear quarter panel look different when the film is eventually removed? And it does need to be removed at some point, right?

My X will be midnight silver so I'm not too concerned about yellowing...

As far as maintenance goes, although I'd love to baby the car and hand wash it every week...we've got 3 kids under 10 so that idea is pretty much out the window. I'm more of a drive-through car wash gal these days (brushless, of course). Is this too harsh for the PPF and coating to handle? Will it make it wear down faster?

Finding the right film is important, but finding a very knowledgeable installer is key, always make sure to do your homework finding an installer you feel comfortable. If you end up going with XPEL you can always send us a PM asking us about a local installer.

Many of our customers add a ceramic coating to the top of the film to make the film easier to clean, increased hydrophobic properties, etc. The film is easier to clean, as its self-healing, with less of a worry with swirl marks and fine scratches. When you add the coatings to it, it becomes even easier to wipe down and take care of. Many times when customers only get a full front end of PPF, they'll ceramic coat the rest of the vehicle, along with the clear bra.

Regarding the lines and edges, always ask for wrapped edges where possible, meaning that the film wraps over the edge of the panel. With XPEL, a panel that's wrapped vs. a panel that's not wrapped will not look different. They will have the same sheen / finish. The ULTIMATE is optically clear with no orange peel texture. It also allows UV to go through the film, so the paint will fade at the same rate as an unprotected panel. ULTIMATE is warranted for 10-years against: yellowing, cracking, peeling, staining and delaminating. When and if it does need to be removed, take it to your local XPEL installer and they can remove it with steam, heat and the correct removal process.

If you ever do see yellowing, it's covered under the 10-year warranty, which includes film and labor. Meaning the installer will be paid to remove and install new film.

You can certainly take your vehicle through the automatic car wash, just wait post install for about 48-72 hours before taking through an auto car wash. Now if it's coated, that's something you'll have to ask your installer about, as we just do the film.

So you have no top coating on top of the Xpel...and are happy with the gloss factor it leaves you with? Seems like many want xtra gloss/shine and those coatings help with that?

Would you mind uploading a pic of your car? I've ordered the same color!
Can you see the edge lines of the film or did they wrap them under everywhere possible? I've only seen Xpel on a black X, and Suntek on a midnight silver--and the edges were very apparent. Not really sure how much this will bother me over time. It's the first scratch that hurts the most, then you just get numb...

So you do not use automatic car washes at all? If you did, it wouldn't damage the Xpel would it? I used Zaino Bros on my Integra, works like magic.

Without a coating, the film will look the same as a protected panel vs. a non protected panel.

The edges of the film are going to be visible in some areas, as its not possible to wrap the film on every panel, but where possible it can be wrapped. When its not wrapped, it should be very close to the edge of panel. I'll upload a few from a recent X install we did here at XPEL.

We wrapped the back seats with ULTIMATE and its a 3 piece kit, to see the install pics go here: XPEL Model X
View media item 115387
Full outside picture of white Model X
View media item 115388
Close up shot of the front end of the Model X where the film does not wrap, but the edge is nearly as close to the edge
View media item 115389
80-red_tesla_modelx_xpel_sanantonio_clearbra_25_91a6050d6d934c0000c146f4622b5fb06153e768.jpg

80-red_tesla_modelx_xpel_sanantonio_clearbra_17_45fbad21a7be018c44d82418e4dde9e6f26bba21.jpg

80-finishedred_tesla_modelx_xpel_sanantonio_clearbra_27_copy_32a736031c0dfbec02fa3e6c8f371020452bdb45.jpg

So you have no top coating on top of the Xpel...and are happy with the gloss factor it leaves you with? Seems like many want xtra gloss/shine and those coatings help with that?

Would you mind uploading a pic of your car? I've ordered the same color!
Can you see the edge lines of the film or did they wrap them under everywhere possible? I've only seen Xpel on a black X, and Suntek on a midnight silver--and the edges were very apparent. Not really sure how much this will bother me over time. It's the first scratch that hurts the most, then you just get numb...

So you do not use automatic car washes at all? If you did, it wouldn't damage the Xpel would it? I used Zaino Bros on my Integra, works like magic.

It was coated in one of those quartz coatings right after installation. I use Zaino #8 spray on it as a detailer which really pops the shine and makes for a deep and beautiful finish. That is about it. I wash it with a foam gun using Griot's car wash and wipe it dry then spritz it with the Z8 spray. I use Zaino tire finish on the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S04 tires. here is a picture... most recent...at the Stratford, CT launching ramp at mouth of the Housatonic River

URL="Model S Photo Gallery"]Model S Photo Gallery[/URL]

I have had XPEL on my last few cars and before that 3M. If those people are happy with the 3M they have, then wait until you get a superior product like XPEL on it! There were a few options for film such as Hexis Bodyfence but it just wasn't the same quality as the XPEL I have seen. The price is higher for XPEL which is telling of its quality, lucky I didn't make the decision to save a buck! I believe Suntek is also as good but as long as you stick to one of those premium films you wont go wrong.

You cant be too pedantic over lines, its the nature of the film. You have to realise its a sacrificial layer for your car. It is there to take the hit instead of your paint. If you want a paint like finish then why are you putting something over it. The odd bit of dust trapped, the odd pin head sized whit spot are all things that you may find. 99% of people will never notice these and will know you have something on there unless you point it out, you see the lines because you know they are there but they are not that bad. Paint protection or having some lines that you find when looking close... I know what ive chosen...

Also you definitely don't need a coating applied to it to make it more glossier. I have had it put on a car with natural swirl marks from cleaning and it made it disappear and have a gloss that was better than showroom. Prob was I only had the front of the car done so it looked nice and the rest still had swirls lol

Reactions: DuplexDianne
It was coated in one of those quartz coatings right after installation. I use Zaino #8 spray on it as a detailer which really pops the shine and makes for a deep and beautiful finish. That is about it. I wash it with a foam gun using Griot's car wash and wipe it dry then spritz it with the Z8 spray. I use Zaino tire finish on the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S04 tires. here is a picture... most recent...at the Stratford, CT launching ramp at mouth of the Housatonic River

URL="Model S Photo Gallery"]Model S Photo Gallery[/URL]
Beautiful! So you are not so concerned with rock chips and the sort...no paint protection film for you...

Hey all, just took delivery of my new S70 in Midnight Silver Metallic. Had my appointment for full Xpel wrap on Friday. On my way home, as my luck would have it, I got a rock chip on the front bumper. As you can imagine, I am pretty bummed. What would you guys do? Postpone the wrap and try to get the chip repaired or just wrap over the chip?

Hey all, just took delivery of my new S70 in Midnight Silver Metallic. Had my appointment for full Xpel wrap on Friday. On my way home, as my luck would have it, I got a rock chip on the front bumper. As you can imagine, I am pretty bummed. What would you guys do? Postpone the wrap and try to get the chip repaired or just wrap over the chip?

Hey! Do you have a picture of the damage?

Usually small impacts we will wrap over, but large chips are able to be touched up with touch up paint prior to installation.

Hey! Do you have a picture of the damage?

Usually small impacts we will wrap over, but large chips are able to be touched up with touch up paint prior to installation.

there's one that's deep, through the paint to the plastic and a secondary one that's also pretty deep. I don't know if it was the same piece of debris that caused it. It kept me up thinking about it haha. Damn my luck.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    590.2 KB · Views: 307
BTW, when washing the wrapped S I find that a car wash product called Duragloss 901 to be just about the best I have tried.
Heard about it from the detailing shop that did the wrap. They use it on wrapped or waxed cars. It apparently is pH balanced.
It leaves no water spots or streaks and maintains the lustre of the coating really well. It works in my foam cannon too.
I just bought two more bottles of it from Amazon.

Have XPEL + Opticoat Pro and am very happy with the results. Had a glancing blow with a shredded tire at freeway speeds and the resulting foot long scuff buffed right out. Have also accumulated 20+ pits and scratches all over the front bumper and rear view mirror caps as well as one deep one on the hood. All were caught by the XPEL; none got into the paint.

But now I am wondering if/when to replace the XPEL since now I am stuck looking at all the road rash anyway. Yes, the paint is protected. The car will continue to accumulate damage as long as I keep driving it. So what's the point at the end of the day, unless you feel like replacing the film on a regular basis? Just my two cents.

ut now I am wondering if/when to replace the XPEL since now I am stuck looking at all the road rash anyway. Yes, the paint is protected. The car will continue to accumulate damage as long as I keep driving it. So what's the point at the end of the day, unless you feel like replacing the film on a regular basis? Just my two cents.
The difference is that the damage is on a replaceable film. Painting a car to make it appear new again is a very expensive proposition if done correctly (correctly means removing everything, dipping the car to remove the corrosion, and then painting and reassembling). Any other process never looks good if examined critically.

Not to mentioned that a lot of the paints out these days are hard to match. I had a white pearl car once which no one was able to match effectively. That led me to my search on protecting the panel from having to get a respray. Resprays usually mean a loss of value to. To the new buyer a respray could of meant a previous accident or they are more hesitant due to the paint not being OEM. This is why its popular with supercars.

A good article (and there are heaps more out there) - http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/that-fender-bender-is-going-to-cost-you-now-and-late-1642640784

I had my car wrapped with SunTek from the backdoors forward. I was pulling into a parking garage and scraped the front driver's side corner on the concrete when getting my parking ticket. The concrete was very high and the scrape went about 4 inches into the painted section of the front bumper. The paint protection film didn't 100% protect the car from paint scrapes, but I'm positive it faired better than without the film. Glad I had it installed.

Reactions: Maximus8
BTW, when washing the wrapped S I find that a car wash product called Duragloss 901 to be just about the best I have tried.
Heard about it from the detailing shop that did the wrap. They use it on wrapped or waxed cars. It apparently is pH balanced.
It leaves no water spots or streaks and maintains the lustre of the coating really well. It works in my foam cannon too.
I just bought two more bottles of it from Amazon.

Have you tried the Xpel rinseless wash? I was very happy with the bottle they gave me after I got my car wrapped. It is hard to find online and no one carries it in store. I tried a couple other popular brands from amazon but they leave it streaky and dirty. I also tried just cleaning with detailing spray but it seems to build up a waxy streaky layer very quickly as well. I will have to try Duragloss I suppose.

Have you tried the Xpel rinseless wash? I was very happy with the bottle they gave me after I got my car wrapped. It is hard to find online and no one carries it in store. I tried a couple other popular brands from amazon but they leave it streaky and dirty. I also tried just cleaning with detailing spray but it seems to build up a waxy streaky layer very quickly as well. I will have to try Duragloss I suppose.

Yes, I did try the sample Xpel wash that they gave me as well. Like you, I could not find it anywhere. BTW the Duragloss comes in a few sizes, the 64oz size appears to be the most economical. Also the add rate is 1 oz per gallon. (I called their tech support). So if you have a suds gun choose the 1oz per gallon setting.

Now that I have been washing the S with the suds gun, it really is a joy to do. I use the Gilmore adjustable ratio foam-master gun. It allows you to quickly set the ratio of soap to water and comes with a quick disconnect (Gilmore type) so that you can take it off the hose end really easily. This Gilmore gun is well built.