Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thermometer slow to adjust?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having a problem with their termometer registering the change in temperature within a reasonable amount of time? Just yesterday after pulling out of my garage (low 60's) and driving for several minutes 10-15, before the thermometer showed the correct exterior temperature of 35 degrees. I'm used to my BMW's reflecting the difference in temperature within a minute or two of leaving the garage.

Reactions: ss71
I am certain this is by design. Typically filtering is applied to data from sensors such as these to avoid fluctuations over short time periods. An example would be if the sensor happens to be in a position where it is getting heated abnormally (direct sunlight, exhaust from vehicle in front at a stop light), You wouldn't want the OAT to suddenly display 130 or so.

Perhaps there is too much filtering applied. But this is definitely by design.

Upvote 0
Agreed. But: Mine will adjust within a few minutes, from my garage to my office, maybe 10-15 degrees C difference. Some people here are saying it takes 15 minutes to even start changing, which would indicate a problem. I'll just ask whether it's a feeling of taking forever or if it has been timed precisely.
Today it changed for me within a few minutes. Some days it's like 20+ minutes where it still shows my garage temperature. I'm not sure what kind of algorithm they are using to stop it bouncing but it's not very good.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Upvote 0
This topic is a bit beaten to death but it’s quite clear that the outside temp can be very slow to adjust. I haven’t heard one instance of anyone getting any improvement via a service appointment so it seems clear that this is not a hardware issue and there is opportunity for this to be improved with a software tweak. Probably it’s all hands on deck for FSD though so I’m not expecting this anytime soon even though on the surface, it seems fairly straightforward.

Upvote 0
Noticed this today on my early build 2021 MYP. 12 degrees F out and 35 degrees F in my garage. Vehicle indicated 35 degrees outside while driving for 20 minutes and while I pulled into work it quickly started dropping to 12 degrees. Took a few minutes but got there.

It is almost as if there is a software delay before the vehicle updates the exterior temp. This could have an impact on the auto climate control.

Interestingly, I am going in for some warranty service and they automatically added a “Replace Refrigerant Pressure / Temperature Sensor” service. Could be totally unrelated but will report back if it helps.

Upvote 0
Noticed this today on my early build 2021 MYP. 12 degrees F out and 35 degrees F in my garage. Vehicle indicated 35 degrees outside while driving for 20 minutes and while I pulled into work it quickly started dropping to 12 degrees. Took a few minutes but got there.

It is almost as if there is a software delay before the vehicle updates the exterior temp. This could have an impact on the auto climate control.

Interestingly, I am going in for some warranty service and they automatically added a “Replace Refrigerant Pressure / Temperature Sensor” service. Could be totally unrelated but will report back if it helps.
I am VERY interested to see what you get with that warranty service. The outside temp being slow to adjust is on it's own, a 1st world problem. But...

I also agree it has an impact on auto climate control. I drove into the office last Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday and each day the car temp read around 42F for 15min or so and within literally a mile area each day, it slowly adjusted to the proper outside temp over a few minutes. I found it really interesting that it was happening at the same place/time from leaving my house each of those three days.

Additionally, at that same time each day, my climate control changed in some way that required me to hit the defrost as the inside of my windows fogged up. It seems logical that those two are related and not working well together. Also, hitting the defrost with the new software update is a pain (but there are plenty of other threads on that topic). Either way, please let us know what comes from your service appointment.

Upvote 0
One of the sensors that Scan My Tesla has access to over the ODB2 bus is for outside temperature. Someone with SMT would be able to tell us if the sensor itself adjusts more quickly than the screen. I have SMT but unfortunately I sold my previous Model 3 last month and haven't gotten my new one yet.

Upvote 0
It's been -30C or colder here all week so this slow to adjust has been very obvious. I precondition my car in the garage where it's about -10C. I leave with a warm car. Over the next 10 minutes it gets really cold in the car and the windows fog up. Eventually the heater (and outside temp) adjust and seem to catch up.

Not sure if it is related to the display being slow to adjust but it definitely is a real thing. It "feels" like they are related but since we don't have access to the code there's no way to know for sure.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for the replies. My question has been answered in as so much as "it's not just me". There was an earlier comment about 1st world problems and I agree, just wondered if this was specific to my car and it appears not.
Re the "first world problem" comment... we have first world cars. Any problem is going to be a first world problem (unless it's something that could kill you).

I've noticed the same issue too, which is why I searched to find this thread. Again, glad it's not just me. If it's a software fix, I hope they fix it to this first-worlder's satisfaction!

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Upvote 0
Just received the latest update from Tesla 44.30 and this morning the thermometer dropped from 56* in the garage to 21* within two miles of leaving. Not sure if this is a coincidence or the new software update fixed it. Before (like most) its took 5-10 miles to come down that much in temp.

Upvote 0
So i had some errands to run and I decided to check this. Garage at 11C, outside at - 8C if I am to trust the weather widget on my phone.
Looking at scanmytesla, as i was driving the "outside temp" value was going down faster than the screen showed, but the screen did adjust quicker than what I remember. Seems 2021.44.30 or a build soon before might have changed this.
I drove just 1km for my first stop. At that point both values had stabilized at - 2C. When i got back in 5min after, it was still showing - 2C. As I drove another 1-2km it continued to go down to around - 4C. Stayed parked with climate on for 20-25min. When back it was still showing -4C. It continued to go down as I drove home, arrived at - 6C.

Seems like the sensor value only went down when I drove. Maybe it's a bit hidden behind plastics and needs air flowing around to reach it.
Initially the screen had 2-3 degrees lag behind the sensor. It looks like it averages the last minute or so.

Upvote 0
Since it got pretty cold here during the past few weeks -25C (-13F), I decided to put my MY in the garage and I noticed the same thing that the exterior temperature was not changing and I was getting cold air blowing and at some time my windows were fogging so I had to increase the temperature all the way up. It's not the famous heat pump issue because once the sensor decides to change and register the correct temperature all is good. Hopefully, this will be fixed in future updates kuz from what I see it's affecting MY and M3.

Upvote 0