Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thermometer slow to adjust?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having a problem with their termometer registering the change in temperature within a reasonable amount of time? Just yesterday after pulling out of my garage (low 60's) and driving for several minutes 10-15, before the thermometer showed the correct exterior temperature of 35 degrees. I'm used to my BMW's reflecting the difference in temperature within a minute or two of leaving the garage.

Reactions: ss71
Went to the gym this morning, 45 degrees in my garage, 18 degrees outside. Drove for about 13 minutes, screen never changed from 45 degrees and my windows started to fog up.
Same thing started happening for me this week. Generally the outside thermometer adjusts to the correct outside temp within a few minutes but 3 times this week it has been stuck at the temp inside the garage 40°F. Despite the car being preconditioned, within about 5 minutes of driving, the windows have fogged up and I have to see the climate to manual and 'Hi' temp so I can see while driving.

Temps here have been consistently in the single digit F for the last few weeks and I've only had this issue this week. Once I get back in the car after an hour or so, the temp matches the outside temp and climate operates like normal.

Reactions: Birdsfan
Upvote 0
Same thing started happening for me this week. Generally the outside thermometer adjusts to the correct outside temp within a few minutes but 3 times this week it has been stuck at the temp inside the garage 40°F. Despite the car being preconditioned, within about 5 minutes of driving, the windows have fogged up and I have to see the climate to manual and 'Hi' temp so I can see while driving.

Temps here have been consistently in the single digit F for the last few weeks and I've only had this issue this week. Once I get back in the car after an hour or so, the temp matches the outside temp and climate operates like normal.
I decided to contact service about it, I have an appointment next week. I'll update after the service.

Upvote 0

It would be one thing if it were just an indication issue. Bu apparently it is using the erroneous temperature to control HVAC, resulting in lots of fogging. I experience this too.

Reactions: glink182
Upvote 0
I just wrapped up my mobile service appointment, the tech was very helpful but not able to pinpoint what is going on. He did tell me the system first looks at the 12v battery for temperature as the sensor under the front spoiler can be confused from the heat of a parking lot for instance? Regardless, he suggested I pull a bug report the next time it happens (which is basically every day I pull out of my garage) and submit a service request so someone can take a look at the bug report from my car. He said I can simply access the voice command to create the report. I will continue to update with any new information.

Upvote 1
I just wrapped up my mobile service appointment, the tech was very helpful but not able to pinpoint what is going on. He did tell me the system first looks at the 12v battery for temperature as the sensor under the front spoiler can be confused from the heat of a parking lot for instance? Regardless, he suggested I pull a bug report the next time it happens (which is basically every day I pull out of my garage) and submit a service request so someone can take a look at the bug report from my car. He said I can simply access the voice command to create the report. I will continue to update with any new information.
Nice I will do this as well. It happens almost every day.

Upvote 0
Same here so I guess they will be getting a few bug report for same issues. Should we all start the same way so they see a lot of us have this issues?

Upvote 0
Sure enough the same problem happened this morning, 50 degrees in the garage but high 30's outside. 15 minutes into my drive with the reading still at 50, I get out of my car, get my coffee and get back in and the temperature immediately begins to correct itself. I did a bug report prior to getting the coffee and set up a mobile service app so I could tell them to look at the report.

Upvote 0
Quick update-I have an appointment at the Devon Tesla service center Friday am. They told me they needed the car for diagnostics. I pulled out of my garage this morning and as stated in a previous reply in this thread I got out of my car, closed the door, walked away 10-15 feet, car did not lock because it was home, opened the door to get back in and the thermometer immediately began moving down (mid-teens this am). Whatever is tied to opening, closing then opening the door again seems to get the thermometer to work in a normal manner. I will advise after my service appointment.

Reactions: Arthur31 and ss71
Upvote 0
My 2021 Dual motor responds VERY slowly, and YES it actually is a real issue for me.

I leave my 55* garage, and it takes 15-18 mins on my 20 mins commute for the temperature to adjust. Now, I'm in the ice cream business and getting a real time/live temperature reading can really help me judge the day.

now of course, you can check your phones weather ap, but that is never as accurate as a live update from the car.
For me, it doesnt move at all for 14 mins, then in the last minute it can change up to 40 degrees haha

Upvote 0
Quick update-I have an appointment at the Devon Tesla service center Friday am. They told me they needed the car for diagnostics. I pulled out of my garage this morning and as stated in a previous reply in this thread I got out of my car, closed the door, walked away 10-15 feet, car did not lock because it was home, opened the door to get back in and the thermometer immediately began moving down (mid-teens this am). Whatever is tied to opening, closing then opening the door again seems to get the thermometer to work in a normal manner. I will advise after my service appointment.
By any chance did you precondition while in the garage?

note: Devon is my SC. I collected pictures the other morning of the behavior along with the resulting fogging of the windows due to inaccurate outside air temperature. I’m going to submit a service request and see what happens. Please keep me posted as to your results.

Upvote 0
Is anyone else having a problem with their termometer registering the change in temperature within a reasonable amount of time? Just yesterday after pulling out of my garage (low 60's) and driving for several minutes 10-15, before the thermometer showed the correct exterior temperature of 35 degrees. I'm used to my BMW's reflecting the difference in temperature within a minute or two of leaving the garage.
Same thing has been happening to me with the recent cold weather.

Upvote 0
By any chance did you precondition while in the garage?

note: Devon is my SC. I collected pictures the other morning of the behavior along with the resulting fogging of the windows due to inaccurate outside air temperature. I’m going to submit a service request and see what happens. Please keep me posted as to your results.
I precondition the car every morning when it's cold out.

Upvote 0
I precondition the car every morning when it's cold out.
I have a hypothesis that this only happens when preheating. The car is awake for some significant time period prior to leaving the garage. Somehow all of this time at a relative high (garage) temperature is (improperly) weighting the formula used to smooth the OAT readings.

I am going to try to NOT preheat next cold morning and see if it behaves any better.

Upvote 0
I have a hypothesis that this only happens when preheating. The car is awake for some significant time period prior to leaving the garage. Somehow all of this time at a relative high (garage) temperature is (improperly) weighting the formula used to smooth the OAT readings.

I am going to try to NOT preheat next cold morning and see if it behaves any better.
I did first notice the issue back in November when I would have started pre-conditioning the car. There are enough folks on this thread alone with identical symptoms, hard to imagine this isn't a known issue?

Upvote 0

You are SPOT ON! I didn't pre-condition my car this morning and the temperature changed almost immediately after leaving the garage.

Upvote 0