Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TheStreet.com believes the Model X will not hit volume production until 9/2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Article does not mention possible issues with the AWD system. Nobody does. I see unprecedented issues with mechanically unconnected drive axles that are connected only 'by wire'. Recall the issues AirBus had to deal with when they introduced pilot controls mechanically isolated from ailerons/rudder/elevators. MX when released will be RWD just like the MS. Without track racing or baja racing programs run to successful completion this AWD dog will not be allowed to hunt.
--

Interesting article that lands kind of flat. trying to base timing predictions on what happened with the Volt seems useless to me. GM had many cars, the X has got to be the main focus at this point for Tesla. The author has it right, IMHO, that the next round of buyers seeking the X will not be as forgiving about the kinds of early teething pains that the S had, but hopefully Tesla will have ironed more of that out by then since many aspects of the X are simply crossed over from the S (fit and finish, cold weather function, inverter, door handles, window motors, sun roof etc.) I am less concerned with what the actual full production date is and more concerned that they get it right and way more interested that they come up with a viable way to allow a full capacity roof rack... for us, as it turns out, the kids like the second row better than the third so we only use it on long road trips and the need for a third row with easy access for car seats would be just a few years (kids grow fast) while the need for a fully functional roof rack would be for the life of the vehicle. I hope Tesla accurately determines if a family like ours is or is not too small a niche market for the X to offer a full capacity roof rack compatible version. so far, it looks to me like they may be underestimating how huge a market there is in an SUV crossover version of the X, something that one can load up with skis, kayaks etc for long road trips... fingers crossed, hoping they don't delay the gull wing version but hoping they announce that a roof rack option, maybe suicide doors instead of gull wings, is not far behind.

I've written off "TheStreet" lately. They've been hardline on SELL for TSLA as they are comparing the financial performance against all of the other Auto Industry companies. Although TSLA is technically in the industry you have to look at the gap-jumping progressive technology and the way it is being implemented rather than compare it to a behemoth union-based, debt-ridden legacy auto manufacturer. I laugh every time my stock goes up when TheStreet is screaming SELL.

Article does not mention possible issues with the AWD system. Nobody does. I see unprecedented issues with mechanically unconnected drive axles that are connected only 'by wire'. Recall the issues AirBus had to deal with when they introduced pilot controls mechanically isolated from ailerons/rudder/elevators. MX when released will be RWD just like the MS. Without track racing or baja racing programs run to successful completion this AWD dog will not be allowed to hunt.
--
Why do you think this? It's hardly rocket science to synchronize two motors, actually, the Volvo V60 has an even more challenging configuration with a diesel driving the front wheels and an unconnected electric motor driving the rear.

--
Agree on real world data, which I know they are getting, the other stuff is not a big engineering problem. Each wheel can get the right amount of power/regen in corners /straights, low/high power or anything if the computer keeps up with efficent algorithms

Article does not mention possible issues with the AWD system. Nobody does. I see unprecedented issues with mechanically unconnected drive axles that are connected only 'by wire'.
--
AWD is new for Tesla, but Toyota has been selling what is essentially a FWD hybrid Highlander SUV for many years that does AWD "by wire" using a separate electric motor to directly drive the rear wheels.

> does AWD "by wire" using a separate electric motor to directly drive the rear wheels. [Jeff N, et aliis]

Exactly, the REAR wheels. I have no problem with this - if stuff happens to the electric axle, it is behind you. You won't be tripping over it. I'd almost rather the first Xs have only FWD just to thoroughly prove this mode. And loan me one to play with. :smile:

--

The Model S is already drive by wire and the motor already depends on advanced software control. To me it seems that the biggest hurdle will be handling latency.

> The Model S is already [ *rear* ] drive by wire and the motor already depends on advanced software control. To me it seems that the biggest hurdle will be handling latency. [INATM]

Yes, we need to see and read previews by skilled drivers about X's unique, unprecedented AWD configuration wrt 'handling latency' or any other weirdness. Would have been good to include an X in the cross country SC Run but I'm guessing it is not ready for prime time. Which gives me severe doubts. Do they just plan to spring this system on early adopters and pick up the pieces later?
--

--

> does AWD "by wire" using a separate electric motor to directly drive the rear wheels. [Jeff N, et aliis]

Exactly, the REAR wheels. I have no problem with this - if stuff happens to the electric axle, it is behind you. You won't be tripping over it. I'd almost rather the first Xs have only FWD just to thoroughly prove this mode. And loan me one to play with. :smile:

> The Model S is already [ *rear* ] drive by wire and the motor already depends on advanced software control. To me it seems that the biggest hurdle will be handling latency. [INATM]

Yes, we need to see and read previews by skilled drivers about X's unique, unprecedented AWD configuration wrt 'handling latency' or any other weirdness. Would have been good to include an X in the cross country SC Run but I'm guessing it is not ready for prime time. Which gives me severe doubts. Do they just plan to spring this system on early adopters and pick up the pieces later?--

wycolo
First, Tesla and Elon have already said the Model X will only come with AWS so why do you state "MX when released will be RWD just like the MS"?
Second, Roadster owners were early adopters and I didn't see them "pick up the pieces later". Why do you believe AWD will have so many problems? Anything specific?
Third, if your concern is risk why would you want to be an early adopter? "I'd almost rather the first Xs have only FWD"
Based on feedback from the recent European trip it sounds like Tesla has accomplish a lot with their statements that even with the aerodynamic drag of the larger Model X they have mitigated much of that with improved AWD efficiencies.
To paraphrase JB Straubel "Typical experience of AWD is that the efficiency will be worse. We've worked really hard to not have that same effect. We found some clever ways with dual motor AWD... To make that an efficiency neutral option. Breakthrough. Flat efficiency tradeoff." Sounds like they are making real progress so why be so concerned over AWD?