Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

They're baaaaack - Mass auto dealers come after Tesla again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all. Just out of due diligence, I went to see if the dealers have refiled their bill in this new session which would make direct auto sales by manufacturers illegal.

As expected, they have. The provision is part of is S.177, once again a large grab-bag of goodies for auto dealers, and once again sponsored by Marc Pacheco. I think they will keep doing this until they think we've stopped paying attention.

Again, Rep. Linsky has filed a bill to clarify the law to state that direct sales are legal, and this new bill also restricts the filing of suits against auto sellers for unfair competition or deceptive acts. It says that a seller of autos may file suit against another seller for unfair competition or deceptive acts only if the first seller sells the same line make as the one they're suing. This would do away with suits like the one the auto dealers previously filed against Tesla just on general principles, which they lost, on general principles.

My guess is there will be hearings in the fall. I'll try to track it, and let you know when they're coming.

Good work. Bumped into Rep. Linsky in the supermarket 3X on Saturday, funny he didn't mention it.
However based on the number of people who he greeted by name it is not surprising he forgot who I am. :)

Good find!!! I'll personally speak with my State Senator Vinny deMacedo who has been in my car and attended the Supercharger event in Sagamore MA. Furthermore, I will also speak with Rep. Matt Muratore.
I know Gov. Charlie Baker well, I seriously doubt he would support this legislation. As a former member of the Republican State Committee, I'll educate the small but growing Republican legislative delegation over the summer about Tesla's sales model.

For me, this is a “Free-Market Issue”, companies should be free to sell there goods and services using whatever sales distribution channel they choose.