Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things my wife said about Navigate on Autopilot tonight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience with jerkiness is especially noticeable when passing a vehicle with auto lane change or NoAP enabled. The vehicle speeds up quickly, then notices the vehicle in front of me still exists and slows quickly, continues moving to the other lane and then accelerates quickly again. Follow distance and chill mode make zero difference to this behavior.

In general driving, when following a car with TACC, EAP, or NoAP enabled, the car feels like a dog that's excited to be let off its leash. You can feel it accelerating for a fraction of a second, then just following the leader. Over and over again. That feeling is unsettling to say the least, but also makes passengers worry that the car is going to misbehave and just accelerate into the car in front of us.

The consequence of all of this is that the more people that experience these issues, the more people that believe autonomy on any level isn't ready for general use.

I've not tested this myself, but I've seen claims that increasing the following distance can reduce the jerkiness of AP operation.

This does nothing.

Reactions: pilotSteve
bring a bullet proof vest. It's a 5-6 second distance, not car lengths. And if you have 5-6 seconds between you and the car in front of you you're either going to constantly be passed, or your live is in grave danger.
What I know for certain, is that AP set anywhere from 1-3 (which is typical follow time for So Cal freeways) absolutely does not work satisfactorily. So, I'm willing to try something different.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
changing following distance ain't gonna help. I have mine set on 7, and that means there is plenty of space in stop-and-go traffic: just as my car starts to accelerate, another car will move over in front of me, so my car immediately goes into regen to get back to 7, at which time it re-accelerates....just like a roller coaster

Reactions: DrDabbles
Wife: "Why is it so jerky?"

Me: "Well, it can decelerate somewhat abruptly while on freeway interchanges..."

Wife: "It's not just around corners, it's all the time on the freeway; why do you use it if it is so bad?"

Me: "Well, I'm trying it out; I think maybe you notice less if you're driving"

Wife: "Well, I notice it. It's ok to try it out if you're the only one in the car, but it isn't cool to do it otherwise"

Me: ...

Wife: If you keep trying to use it, I'm going to stop riding in this car, and we're going to have to take my car*. It's not relaxing.

Me: <disengages Autopilot for remainder of trip>

<a couple minutes pass>

Wife: It's much smoother now. Did you turn it off?

Me: Yes, I did.

Wife: I'm much more relaxed now.

* My wife's car is a Chevrolet Spark EV. That tells you something.

You can't make this stuff up!

Here's hoping that Tesla discovers low pass filters soon.

LOL Did you try raising your follow distance? That soothes out some of the slowing/acceleration.

changing following distance ain't gonna help. I have mine set on 7, and that means there is plenty of space in stop-and-go traffic: just as my car starts to accelerate, another car will move over in front of me, so my car immediately goes into regen to get back to 7, at which time it re-accelerates....just like a roller coaster
If 7 does not work acceptably, then why do you have it set at 7? What other setting have you tried?

What I know for certain, is that AP set anywhere from 1-3 (which is typical follow time for So Cal freeways) absolutely does not work satisfactorily. So, I'm willing to try something different.

Just so you know, the numbers aren't seconds. When set to 7, your car will occupy the space in front of you in 3.5 seconds. I keep mine at 6 (3 seconds) and MAYBE 5-6 cars cut in front in LA traffic. So, I get home 45 seconds later... so what? I think this is so overblown but I could be wrong. One of these days we need to test the theory and see what the actual difference is vs less stress :)

Just so you know, the numbers aren't seconds. When set to 7, your car will occupy the space in front of you in 3.5 seconds. I keep mine at 6 (3 seconds) and MAYBE 5-6 cars cut in front in LA traffic. So, I get home 45 seconds later... so what? I think this is so overblown but I could be wrong. One of these days we need to test the theory and see what the actual difference is vs less stress :)
The problem we (and others in this thread) experience with cars cutting in front is the abrupt braking from the Model 3, then delayed acceleration to regain the set speed. It's not smooth at all. It only takes a few of these cut-offs to make me turn off NOA and drive myself.

So, I'm trying to find the setting that provides the least braking and acceleration. If that means a longer follow time so cars can move in front of us without the M3 braking, then maybe that's best (for us).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ctyler
Just so you know, the numbers aren't seconds. When set to 7, your car will occupy the space in front of you in 3.5 seconds.
The Tesla manual states the following on page 72:

"Adjust the Following Distance

To adjust the following distance you want to maintain between Model 3 and a vehicle traveling ahead of you, press the steering wheel's right scroll button to the left or right to choose a setting from 1 (the closest following distance) to 7 (the longest following distance). Each setting corresponds to a time- based distance that represents how long it takes for Model 3, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you."

I read this statement to mean a setting of 1 means it takes one second from the Tesla's current location to reach the location of the rear bumper of the car in front. A setting of 7 would mean it takes seven seconds to reach the location of the rear bumper of the car in front.

Am I interpreting the Tesla manual too literally?

Last edited:
The Tesla manual states the following on page 72:

"Adjust the Following Distance

To adjust the following distance you want to maintain between Model 3 and a vehicle traveling ahead of you, press the steering wheel's right scroll button to the left or right to choose a setting from 1 (the closest following distance) to 7 (the longest following distance). Each setting corresponds to a time- based distance that represents how long it takes for Model 3, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you."

I read this statement to mean a setting of 1 means it takes one second from the Tesla's current location to reach the location of the rear bumper of the car in front. A setting of 7 would mean it takes seven seconds to reach the location of the rear bumper of the car in front.

Am I interpreting the Tesla manual too literally?

Yes you are. That is worded in a way that is misleading. it SHOULD say "Each setting corresponds to a time- based distance of approximately .5 seconds that represents how long it takes for Model 3, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you." But then they couldn't change it :)

7 = 3.5 seconds. each number is roughly .5 seconds. Feel free to time it yourself one day. 7 seconds would be a lifetime on the freeway :p

Just so you know

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

I want a 1-7 mode with an average of 3.5. I don’t want to feel like I’m being driven by the driver in front of me who modulates their speed by switching rapidly between the accelerator and the brake.

I find 2 keeps me from having cars cut in constantly when in traffic, while not making me uneasy about how quickly traffic stops before my car decides to react. If I used 3 I'd end up driving backwards trying to avoid cut-ins.

LOL Did you try raising your follow distance? That soothes out some of the slowing/acceleration.

I haven’t found following distance/time to make much difference.

As mentioned above, I use following time 6. As also mentioned, what we really want is a variable following time around that set point, where vehicle velocity is kept reasonably constant.

Unfortunately this is not what happens currently. There is apparently no rubber-banding, nor filtering (integration) of the commanded acceleration. And if there is actually any filtering, it is somehow insufficient.

Notably, this issue also seems to apply to commanded speed changes irrespective of whether you are following someone. Adjust that set speed too quickly, and it will jerk you. When it comes down to it, minimization of jerk (which is what my wife was complaining about, da/dt) has not been sufficiently addressed with TACC.

Last edited:
I haven’t found following distance/time to make much difference.

As mentioned above, I use following time 6. As also mentioned, what we really want is a variable following time around that set point, where vehicle velocity is kept reasonably constant.

Unfortunately this is not what happens currently. There is apparently no rubber-banding, not filtering (integration) of the commanded acceleration.

Yea I totally get that. At 6 it's keeping the distance of 3 seconds behind the car in front of you so if they are under your set speed limit, they control your car. It's the drawback of TACC.