Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Think I found replacement lug nuts for the 21" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for finding another great mod from OEM, artsci. This was the first thread that came up when I was searching for lug nuts. My local tire shop destroyed one of the lug nuts using an impact wrench and probably the wrong size of socket. They told me that it came in that way. I was the last person to put a torque wrench on those nuts, and I don't appreciate being lied to by any business. They know about that now. I ordered a set of Gorillas the same day and will have them in a few days. Another problem solved.

Thanks for finding another great mod from OEM, artsci. This was the first thread that came up when I was searching for lug nuts. My local tire shop destroyed one of the lug nuts using an impact wrench and probably the wrong size of socket. They told me that it came in that way. I was the last person to put a torque wrench on those nuts, and I don't appreciate being lied to by any business. They know about that now. I ordered a set of Gorillas the same day and will have them in a few days. Another problem solved.

Thanks KevinMS.

The Tesla lug nuts are so easy to damage -- it's mystery to me why Telsa persists in using them. The Gorillas are a whole other story -- almost impossible to damage them.

Quick question. Are the lug nuts on the OEM 19" and 21" wheels the same part? 14x1.5 with a 21mm socket with an identical taper?

Hope so. I have both sets of wheels, but only one set of lugs. Car came with 21" wheels, but I got tired of replacing the summer tires so often. The service center made a deal to sell me a set of 19" OEMs that were shipped with a car in early 2013 while they were having some inventory bottlenecks with wheels. I kept the 21's but have been using the 19's since the swap.

Anyway, my lugs are showing some pretty bad mushrooming from rotations and tire changes, so I'm planning on getting the Gorillas. Seems like it is the same lug on both OEM sizes, but thought I'd check with this great knowledge base to be sure.
Anyone ever answer this, or can answer this?

To update this here with some recent experience.

Both our Model S's were having issues with the stock lug nuts getting damaged with tire changes, etc. I watch the wheel guys that care for our cars VERY closely and this was not due to any screw up on their part, but the crappy stock lugs.

Found the following which are almost identical to the stocks in size (they are about 1-2mm longer total):
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-Lifetime-Chrome-66148CM/dp/B003ICXHD4

They work PERFECT and are very very durable. They also come in Chrome and Black.
Chrome - 66148DX
Black - 66148BDX

Never going back to the stock lugs.

Great, useful thread -- particularly since the local tire guys managed to hork all (!) of my lug nuts when they replaced my OEM Michelins with a fresh set! Based on the comments, will probably order a set of the Gorillas, but I also need to get the Trak tire chains that Tesla recommends and was wondering if anyone has any experience installing them over the Gorilla lug nuts (vs. the OEM lug nuts)...