Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Think this is a totaled 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll try and keep it short...I was rear ended by an Ford 550 utility bucket truck. I was all but stopped (creeping forward) and the ford was probably going 35ish. We got rammed into 2 cars in front of us!

I'm slightly concerned. I had an adjuster call me yesterday and tally the damage at $17k...just from what he can see. He did say he expects the damage estimate to go up once they start taking it apart. I'm concerned they won't total it. What sort of recourse would I have? And maybe I'm worried for nothing. I just want a check and a new one ( or maybe a used X :))

I can't imaging having a car for about 6 months and having damage this extensive just repaired. Any advice or words of encouragement is appreciated!

Fords insurance company has already admitted fault, I have the dash/rear cam to prove it.

Airbags did not deploy for those wondering.

Attachments

• IMG_3996.jpg
    IMG_3996.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3997.jpg
    IMG_3997.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3998.jpg
    IMG_3998.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3999.jpg
    IMG_3999.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 80
I'll try and keep it short...I was rear ended by an Ford 550 utility bucket truck. I was all but stopped (creeping forward) and the ford was probably going 35ish. We got rammed into 2 cars in front of us!

I'm slightly concerned. I had an adjuster call me yesterday and tally the damage at $17k...just from what he can see. He did say he expects the damage estimate to go up once they start taking it apart. I'm concerned they won't total it. What sort of recourse would I have? And maybe I'm worried for nothing. I just want a check and a new one ( or maybe a used X :))

I can't imaging having a car for about 6 months and having damage this extensive just repaired. Any advice or words of encouragement is appreciated!

Fords insurance company has already admitted fault, I have the dash/rear cam to prove it.

Airbags did not deploy for those wondering.

OUCH! She's a goner. I wouldn't expect that to be repaired by any shop for a reasonable amount.

Hopefully you're okay!

Reactions: j_beas
OUCH! She's a goner. I wouldn't expect that to be repaired by any shop for a reasonable amount.

Hopefully you're okay!

I was able to walk away. Ended up going to the ER later that afternoon and they said I had a concussion. The biggest impact I felt was the headrest hitting the back of my head. Other than that soreness and bruises from the seat belt.

Hate my car is trashed, but very thankful I wasn't in my 2010 Prius. Not sure I would have walked away from that.

Totaled. And if the other guy's insurance company pushes back on that be sure and tell them that you'll also be pursuing a diminished value claim, which will dramatically increase their cost in this case, considering the amount of damage and the newness of the car.

• Informative
Looks nasty. I would suspect there’s frame damage under there at the least. What version is this? Lower end model versions probably exceed the % threshold for declaring totaled but I understand from reading the forum that this % will vary by state. If your state permits loss of value claims, especially with your car being so new, make sure the insurance company knows you will pursue that. Sometimes that will push the value over as well as any car rental charges.

How are you feeling? Hope you don’t have any residual after effects. Sorry this happened to you and your car. While it wasn’t a high speed crash (evidenced by non-airbag deployment) do have to say the crumple zones did what they were intended to do.

BTW how was the interior of the cabin?

Last edited:
very thankful I wasn't in my 2010 Prius
I was in a similar incident in my '05 Prius some years back. The car was totaled in that case, but the car did a similarly admirable job keeping anyone from being injured. I hope that despite the concussion you are well, and that the insurance companies involved in your case make you whole and get you back into a Tesla (or your other replacement of preference) sooner than later!

BTW congrats on using your TeslaCam. Hopefully more new owners will see the value in using it and get their cars set up with TeslaCam and Sentry mode.

I assume it was important to show you hadn’t run into the car in front of you first and the Ford ran into you after. Only dashcam footage can reliably establish that chain of collision pattern.

Last edited:
BTW congrats on using your TeslaCam. Hopefully more new owners will see the value in using it and get their cars set up with TeslaCam and Sentry mode.

I assume it was important to show you hadn’t run into the car in front of you first and the Ford ran into you after. Only dashcam footage can reliably establish that chain of collision pattern.
Is there TeslaCam footage of this accident? I only see the pictures of the wrecked car.

Looks nasty. I would suspect there’s frame damage under there at the least. What version is this? Lower end model versions probably exceed the % threshold for declaring totaled but I understand from reading the forum that this % will vary by state. If your state permits loss of value claims, especially with your car being so new, make sure the insurance company knows you will pursue that. Sometimes that will push the value over as well as any car rental charges.

How are you feeling? Hope you don’t have any residual after effects. Sorry this happened to you and your car. While it wasn’t a high speed crash (evidenced by non-airbag deployment) do have to say the crumple zones did what they were intended to do.

BTW how was the interior of the cabin?

interior was practically untouched, from what I can tell. The doors are about the only exterior parts that didn't get dinged.

I totally forgot to post the video...Sorry I'm just savvy enough to get it on youtube, but not smart enoguht to get all 4 clips on one video.

Front Cam
Rear Cam
Driver Side Cam
Passenger side Cam

Wow he clearly wasn’t looking at the road in front of him and barreled into you guys without slowing down. I was surprised to see how much distance you had in front of you and were thrown forward. Suspect he was on his phone or falling asleep to be distracted like that.

Looks like he cut some line in his front with that fluid pouring out. Be careful today with the concussion. 24-hrs are important to stay awake. Recall some skier who hit a tree or something but thought she was okay and got sleepy, ignoring the warning signs of trouble and died.

Thanks for the videos and glad it wasn’t worse and you all will be with family for the holidays.

Guaranteed totaled. Just went through this. There are enough panels broken. $17k is a joke of an initial estimate. Order now if you want another, it takes a while. I have a brand new model x ordered arriving this week in time for the rebate if interested.

I wish I could get a new X. Not in the budget. After having the 3 for 6-7 months I can be totally fine with a used X 75 or 90D.

If they want to chip in another $50k for pain then I might could swing a new X. haha

It should be a total loss IMO. I wouldn't want that car after that severe of a hit - especially with quarter panel damage that extensive.
yup, that is what I was thinking. I am going to be in shock if the total repair cost is only $17K. I know little about this stuff, but its the career of the wife. She says the estimates almost always go up once they start taking the car apart. I'm wondering what you are going to do for the 4 months it will likely take to fix it. Wife says if they don't total it and do fix it, then immediately take it to another well known collision repair shop to get a free inspection and any estimates to correct what the first shop may have missed. And of course it should be a Tesla authorized repair shop.